Lifting weights, scale not really moving?

Options
I lost a whopping 0.2 lbs since early December. I admit, I haven't really logged everything and overate on some days. One thing I have been doing consistently is going to the gym 4X a week and lifting pretty heavy weights, followed by 10-15 mins on the stair climber. Any feedback if lifting can possibly stall weight loss, and should I just ditch the scale for a couple months and then weigh again?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Yes, lifting can cause water retention. But you still need to ensure you're in a calorie deficit by logging everything.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I lost a whopping 0.2 lbs since early December. I admit, I haven't really logged everything and overate on some days. One thing I have been doing consistently is going to the gym 4X a week and lifting pretty heavy weights, followed by 10-15 mins on the stair climber. Any feedback if lifting can possibly stall weight loss, and should I just ditch the scale for a couple months and then weigh again?

Bolded part stalled your weightloss.
  • atowinram
    atowinram Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If your calorie intake is correct and you are not blowing your goals, then it just might be a case of building muscle. If that's the case, judge your weight loss by how your clothes fit and not a scale for a month or two. :-)
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Losing anything over Xmas is good in my book!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Tighten up your food logging and be patient. I don't think ditching the scale is the answer, unless you obsess over it.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    atowinram wrote: »
    If your calorie intake is correct and you are not blowing your goals, then it just might be a case of building muscle. If that's the case, judge your weight loss by how your clothes fit and not a scale for a month or two. :-)

Highly doubtful youre gaining enough muscle to off set weight loss.

You answered your own question, the reason you arent losing is because you arent accurately tracking everything.
  • runshellersrun123
    runshellersrun123 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I would get a measuring tape and measure a few key areas; arms, abdomen, thighs. Mark these numbers down. A month from now, measure them again, and see if you've made progress. This will help determine if you've lost fat and gained muscle.
    I would also be strict about the calorie logging, as it really doesn't work unless you are consistent.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    just because the scale isn't moving, doesn't mean you aren't changing body comp - my scale has moved all of a 1lb, but i've gone from a size 8 to a size 6 in pants
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are eating just about exactly what you are burning overall.. You will need to decrease your calorie intake to start losing. If you drop lifting and down change eating habits you will add weight.
  • mcouey84
    mcouey84 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    just because the scale isn't moving, doesn't mean you aren't changing body comp - my scale has moved all of a 1lb, but i've gone from a size 8 to a size 6 in pants

totally agree...

OP - based on several factors (body type, balance of macros, rest between training) you may have actually lost fat and gained lean muscle mass.

Do you have a weight-loss or more of a body image goal?

• mcouey84
    Options
    To all those saying the OP is putting on muscle, the mere fact that calories goals are being exceeded and logging is not consistent is where the issue lies. It is not that easy to put muscle on. If it was, more people would be big and muscular.

Are you an endomorph? I am and I can build muscle walking to the mailbox.

There's not enough information from the OP to say definitively which is why I stated "you may" before the rest...

• Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

There isn't enough info here, it's like saying "Help I work all day and my boss hasn't promoted me, why hasn't he promoted me yet I've been working for a month now"

Hire a trainer IMO you seem lost and need some help for awhile
  • billsrule2015
    billsrule2015 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Trying to lose weight, while getting more muscle and less fat. I def know my logging hasnt been diligent. I need to change that. I feel like I am more in shape, less bloated. Clothes feel the same, maybe the slightest hint of feeling little more loose.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    mcouey84 wrote: »
    To all those saying the OP is putting on muscle, the mere fact that calories goals are being exceeded and logging is not consistent is where the issue lies. It is not that easy to put muscle on. If it was, more people would be big and muscular.

There's not enough information from the OP to say definitively which is why I stated "you may" before the rest...

Somatotypes aren't a thing. And yes, while the OP could have gained some muscle, especially if they are brand new to lifting, it's not a significant amount. The issue here is their logging.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

the whole somatotypes thing is a myth, so you are not an endomorph and there is way more that goes into building muscle then eating "a little over" and lifting 4x a week ...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Trying to lose weight, while getting more muscle and less fat. I def know my logging hasnt been diligent. I need to change that. I feel like I am more in shape, less bloated. Clothes feel the same, maybe the slightest hint of feeling little more loose.

I would suggest going with one goal at a time..something like..

1. foucs on getting your weight down and your body fat to 15% (assuming you are a male)
    2. once you hit that goal you can determine if you want to run some bulk/cut cycles, or recomp.

you really can't do all three - lose weight, gain muscle, and lose fat - all at the same time.

• mcouey84
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

the whole somatotypes thing is a myth, so you are not an endomorph and there is way more that goes into building muscle then eating "a little over" and lifting 4x a week ...

So you're saying that generally, you can't classify people into one of three different body types based on composition or genetics?

x74oty8iye0u.jpg

^---read above.