Lifting weights, scale not really moving?

Options

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    mcouey84 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    To all those saying the OP is putting on muscle, the mere fact that calories goals are being exceeded and logging is not consistent is where the issue lies. It is not that easy to put muscle on. If it was, more people would be big and muscular.

Are you an endomorph? I am and I can build muscle walking to the mailbox.

There's not enough information from the OP to say definitively which is why I stated "you may" before the rest...

the whole somatotypes thing is a myth, so you are not an endomorph and there is way more that goes into building muscle then eating "a little over" and lifting 4x a week ...

So you're saying that generally, you can't classify people into one of three different body types based on composition or genetics?
    To all those saying the OP is putting on muscle, the mere fact that calories goals are being exceeded and logging is not consistent is where the issue lies. It is not that easy to put muscle on. If it was, more people would be big and muscular.

There's not enough information from the OP to say definitively which is why I stated "you may" before the rest...

x74oty8iye0u.jpg

^---read above.

While you can put people into categories (hell, categories such as pear-shape, apple, hourglass, etc exist)...it is just a way to describe a bodytype. It has no bearing on whether or not that person has the potential to put on muscle mass. It was originally developed as a classification system based on looks, nothing more.

Because I may be one shape and my neighbour may be the same shape as me (pear for example) has no bearing on whether we gain muscle in the same manner.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Maybe if your walk to the mailbox is to pick up your latest shipment of anabolics. If that's you in your profile pic, are you saying you built your physique doing nothing more than walking back and forth to the mailbox? Or did you get under some iron and push it at some point along the way?

As far as somatotypes, they're about as valid as astrology. They were made up by a psychologist after he looked at pictures of people, and very few people fit neatly into any one of his categories.

OP's issue is one of two things (or a combination thereof): Not logging accurately, thus eating too many calories; and/or water weight retention from his training masking actual weight loss.
  • mcouey84
    mcouey84 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Maybe if your walk to the mailbox is to pick up your latest shipment of anabolics.

And somatotypes are as valid as astrology.

I take offense to that and frankly, feel sorry for you.

I'm glad you thought it was necessary to attack my character. You must be so proud of yourself.

Note that I chimed in to help the OP...not to give you a reason to up your "impressive" 9k+ posts...

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    No insult/attack intended, but my question (see edit) is valid. Did you build your physique through walks to the mailbox, or did you engage in a progressive weight training program for a fairly long time period? I think it's disingenuous to give people the notion that building muscle is an effortless process.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

the whole somatotypes thing is a myth, so you are not an endomorph and there is way more that goes into building muscle then eating "a little over" and lifting 4x a week ...

So you're saying that generally, you can't classify people into one of three different body types based on composition or genetics?

x74oty8iye0u.jpg

^---read above.

i am saying that somatotypes are a myth...

you can classify anybody into any category that you want, does not make it accurate or science based; it just means that you made up some classification ...
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Maybe if your walk to the mailbox is to pick up your latest shipment of anabolics.

And somatotypes are as valid as astrology.

I take offense to that and frankly, feel sorry for you.

I'm glad you thought it was necessary to attack my character. You must be so proud of yourself.

Note that I chimed in to help the OP...not to give you a reason to up your "impressive" 9k+ posts...

Lol i love how your come back to having your character attacked is by attacking theirs, no reason to bring up how much someone posts, some people have been on here a long time and have learned a lot and want to share their knowledge.

Its great youre trying to help and all but you need to realize for someone begining their fitness journey, you have to be careful what you say as to not cause confusion or misconceptions.

Most people cannot put on muscle that easily, and esp not enough to off set weight on the scale.

Its very clear from what OP has said that their problem is inaccurate calorie tracking, not that they are putting on muscle while losing fat. OP is in a very small deficit or not in one at all, thats why they arent losing.

OP most likely the weight lifting will only cause water rention whoch would effect numbers on the scale esp. When you first start but that should taper off.

Keep lifting it helps retain muscle, and make more of the weight loss come from fat.

Whether or not you weigh yourself is up to you but make sure youre always tracking calorie intake as accurately as possible. Measurements and progress pictures are great as well.
  • mcouey84
    Options
    The pic is me. I had just decided to practice some posing after a workout, difficult to do by yourself I might add! I was 175 in the picture, down from 210 ~8 months before. I think to explain will justify as hi-jacking, but your edit deserves my reply.

I was an amateur BB in college, training came easy as I played several sports growing up. If I eat what I want and don't exercise I stay around 210, roughly 20% BF. I can get from my lazy weight/image to the picture in 7-10mos anytime. I have done this three times since 2007, with weight training being non-existent in the two years or so between fat me and fit me.

I'm 32 now and I know my body's adaptability has much to do with muscle memory and knowing what works for me as far as diet/training go. I believe though, that I fit into a specific category of easy gainer/hard loser.

My only goal through this conversation has been to relate to the OP (based on my experience) and offer a suggestion based on the limited information at hand.

I truly do not wish to mislead anyone, that was never my intention.

I asked a question in an attempt to get more information.

I would've appreciated the same courtesy prior to the steroid comment.
  • BHFF
    BHFF Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Funny, a lot of people with sound advice but the question that NO ONE has asked is....what is your goal? Lose weight? Gain weigh and build muscle? Tone? Cant answer anything till any of us know this.
  • mcouey84
    Options
    My first post asked about his goal(s)....
  • mcouey84
    Options

x74oty8iye0u.jpg

^---read above.

i am saying that somatotypes are a myth...

you can classify anybody into any category that you want, does not make it accurate or science based; it just means that you made up some classification ...

not really...all I'm really doing is making a very general statement.
  • BHFF
    Options
    didnt see that my bad. Goals would be very important to know lol.
  • tillerstouch
    Options
    BHFF wrote: »
    Funny, a lot of people with sound advice but the question that NO ONE has asked is....what is your goal? Lose weight? Gain weigh and build muscle? Tone? Cant answer anything till any of us know this.

OPs questions is about stalled weight loss, they are trying to lose weight. Not to mention if they are trying to gain this is the wrong forum, as this is the weight loss one.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    Options

Because the OP's post was about a tiny loss, feeling a bit dejected by why the scale wasn't moving...

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Yes starting a weight lifting routine can stall weight loss by causing water retention from soreness/inflammation but that's normally fairly short-lived.

Doing weights and a small amount of cardio is pretty insignificant compared to knowing and adjusting your food/calorie intake.

You could wait a couple of months to remove the Christmas & New Year factor or you could start logging properly otherwise there's a good chance in two months time you are going to be in the same place with your weight loss stalled but with some progress in the gym.

Frequency of weighing yourself is very personal but my view is that I like data rather than guessing what's going on.
  • BHFF
    Options
    Sorry to disagree but this is not a weightloss forum. This whole app is about health and fitness. Whether you want to lose weight, tone up or gain muscle everyone is welcome here.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    Options
    I believe @tillerstouch meant that it's the area/subforum that it was posted in. There are specific subforums for gaining weight, nutrition, recipes, etc.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Sorry to disagree but this is not a weightloss forum. This whole app is about health and fitness. Whether you want to lose weight, tone up or gain muscle everyone is welcome here.

He's talking about the individual thread forum, not the MFP site as a whole.
    0e9bx1qt9tov.jpg
  • tillerstouch
    Options

Sorry maybe i should have said subforum. There are multiple categories, OP posted in the weight loss category. There are seperate categories for maintenance, weight gain, exercise, etc.
  • tillerstouch
    Options

He's talking about the individual thread forum, not the MFP site as a whole.
    0e9bx1qt9tov.jpg

Thanks lol.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

he said he wants to lose fat, build muscle, and lose body fat ...based on that advice was given....