Tamoxifen and age disadvantage

Hi, Looking for some help in my journey. 7 years ago I fought and won against breast cancer (yay me) therefore the drug Tamoxifen will be a part of my life for at least 3 more years. It and my age of 54 make the struggle to lose weight very real. I cannot accomplish it without the daily activity of burning at least 300-400 calories. Even then with staying at about 1400 calories I am struggling to maintain or lose weight. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Replies

• Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Congratulations on beating breast cancer. I'm not familiar with how Tamoxifen can affect weight loss, however I can tell you that age shouldn't be a factor. How are you determining your calories? Everyone on here will tell you the only way to know for sure is to buy a food scale and weigh and measure all your intake. At a true 1400 calories per day you should be losing weight even without exercise depending on your stats. Losing weight is as simple as eating less than you expend barring a medical issue that impedes progress.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    Congratulations on beating breast cancer. I'm not familiar with how Tamoxifen can affect weight loss, however I can tell you that age shouldn't be a factor. How are you determining your calories? Everyone on here will tell you the only way to know for sure is to buy a food scale and weigh and measure all your intake. At a true 1400 calories per day you should be losing weight even without exercise depending on your stats. Losing weight is as simple as eating less than you expend barring a medical issue that impedes progress.

Uhm...no. Age IS a factor....And nothing is as simple as we would like to make it.....
    OP, good luck with the cancer drugs, all the best for a full recovery. I found that two things made a difference for me - I started eating lower carb and higher protein - 40p/30c/30f - and I started strength training, with shorter cardio....It helped a lot!
  • Rocknut53
    Age is only a factor because one tends to move less as they age. This decreases muscle mass and bone density, and negatively affects ones BMR.
    Purposeful exercise or upping ones daily activity can counteract this to a certain degree.

From the age of full maturity (early 20's) ones BMR drops by 50-100 cals per decade, depending on weight, gender, and height.
    There is no sudden drop as one hits 50, or any other arbitrary number. It is an ongoing process.

MFP take age into account when calculating ones calorie goals, as do other calorie calculators be they NEAT or TDEE.

OP please don't let age deter you. You can lose weight. Your medication may affect your calorie intake, research the known side effects. Also, as you are of menopausal age, a check up by your doctor for any hormonal problems that may need medication would be a good idea.

Cheers, h.

Good post. Being cognizant of how age can affect your body starting early is probably the key to women being able to manage their weight before, during and after menopause. I can honestly say I was oblivious especially just before and during menopause, the period of time when I gained most of my weight. And, like you said, I was moving less. The main point I need to focus on is that because of my age I only get to eat a specific amount of food, much less than what I would like to eat. Staying very active will help with that because I really don't want to limit myself to 1440 calories per day for the rest of my life.
  • koslowkj
    koslowkj Posts: 188 Member
    Age is only a factor because one tends to move less as they age. This decreases muscle mass and bone density, and negatively affects ones BMR.
    Purposeful exercise or upping ones daily activity can counteract this to a certain degree.

From the age of full maturity (early 20's) ones BMR drops by 50-100 cals per decade, depending on weight, gender, and height.
    There is no sudden drop as one hits 50, or any other arbitrary number. It is an ongoing process.

MFP take age into account when calculating ones calorie goals, as do other calorie calculators be they NEAT or TDEE.

OP please don't let age deter you. You can lose weight. Your medication may affect your calorie intake, research the known side effects. Also, as you are of menopausal age, a check up by your doctor for any hormonal problems that may need medication would be a good idea.

Cheers, h.

Pretty much all of this. In general, a 50 year old is going to need fewer calories than a 20 year old at the same height and weight. That being said, my mom is in her late 50s and lost weight just fine once she became aware of what and how much she was eating.

Quick side note (and I just feel compelled to say this/remind you of this as an optometry student) that tamoxifen can have some side effects on your eyes, so make sure your optometrist knows that you're on it when you go in for your eye exams. :)

Congratulations on kicking cancer's butt!
  • tar2323
    tar2323 Posts: 141 Member
    I'm 55 years old, post menopause, and and have been on Anastrazole for breast cancer for the last year or so. Since March, I've gone from 233lbs to 177lbs with calorie controlled eating. For me, it has been a little harder than it used to be, but in truth, not much. If you are honest with yourself about what you put in your mouth and count it all to see what you are doing right/wrong, the weight will come off despite the age and the drugs.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    @AnnPT77 thank you for the Tomaxifen explanation. My mum was on it in her 70's and I read about it then, but couldn't remember the details as she had no adverse effects taking it. Off to Scotland (from Canada) to celebrate her 90th next week. :) She is still a healthy independent woman.

@Rocknut53, I too put on a bit of weight pre menopause. Nothing to do with menopause- I bought a car and stopped walking or biking everywhere.
    I lost the excess during menopause (54yo) and have maintained the loss ever since. 63 now :) I am quite petite and would only get the basic 1200 cals if I ever reverted to being a couch potato full time.

Cheers, h.
  • Rocknut53
    @AnnPT77 thank you for the Tomaxifen explanation. My mum was on it in her 70's and I read about it then, but couldn't remember the details as she had no adverse effects taking it. Off to Scotland (from Canada) to celebrate her 90th next week. :) She is still a healthy independent woman.

@Rocknut53, I too put on a bit of weight pre menopause. Nothing to do with menopause- I bought a car and stopped walking or biking everywhere.
    I lost the excess during menopause (54yo) and have maintained the loss ever since. 63 now :)I am quite petite and would only get the basic 1200 cals if I ever reverted to being a couch potato full time.

Cheers, h.

That's sad, we should be able to eat as we please when we reach 63. ;) I guess in reality we can, however, I am never going to be borderline obese again. And, I'm not going to be a couch potato either. My husband was just giving me a hard time today because I was shoveling snow...off the roof. I needed some upper body work. And vitamin D, the sun is out.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    CICO works for everyone. You just need to find where your maintenance is and eat below it.
  • mcginger1
    mcginger1 Posts: 128 Member
    I, too, am taking Tamoxifen after a bout with breast cancer two years ago. After the diagnosis and my courses of radiation, I overhauled my eating habits and began exercising. At my last visit with my oncologist, he commented how great I was looking, and to keep up the hard work since one of Tamoxifen's side effects is weight gain. He warned me that I was fighting an uphill battle, but to keep at it. A slower metabolism coupled with Tamoxifen is likely to make for a harder road ahead... but you've got this! Just keep going, keep being healthy and enjoy living!