Crossfit vs gym

Options
I am in a bit of a pickle because I am unsure what do to. Well I have crossfit and gym membership but if I want to go crossfit it's an extra 1 and a half hours travelling in my day on top of work commute. I really enjoy crossfit as I can use a squat rack etc without getting intimidated. My gym is 10 min walk from my house. From personal experience what do people get best results from I am looking at weight-loss with building muscle and I love lifting. Is the commute worth it? I am probably answering my own question here but would love to hear people experiences.

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Crossfit is not really a lifting or muscle-building program. Someone doing crossfit will see some results in that area, but only the amount needed to adapt to the specific demands of the exercises.

To be honest, your goals are somewhat at cross purposes--while lifting weights is an essential part of a weight-loss focused exercise program, muscle gains will be limited because of the caloric deficit.

You can lose weight doing a lot of different programs and, as is often said, maintaining a calorie deficit is more important than any exercise program. So there is no "best for weight loss" program--they'll all work and none of them will work, depending on your diet.

Basically, you should do what you like, what will keep you motivated, and what program is most aligned with your fitness goals.

I will say there is nothing magic about crossfit to justify the longer commute and higher cost. If you find it motivating and more rewarding, then it is worth it, but there is nothing inherent in the workouts themselves that is any better than any other type of workout program.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    Crossfit is not really a lifting or muscle-building program. Someone doing crossfit will see some results in that area, but only the amount needed to adapt to the specific demands of the exercises.

Coulda fooled me. Deadlift, squat, bench, and olympic lifting alternating - four days a week. Tracked and recorded.

ETA:
    I though it might be helpful to explain the set up at my box.
    First is stretching & mobility (foam rolling, etc.)
    then warm up which is some lighter version of the workout of the day (WOD)
    then weight lifting/strength training
    then goal work, which is whatever thing an individual might be working on,
    then WOD,
    then stretching.

• KatzeDerNacht22
    KatzeDerNacht22 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I did crossfit for a while, I loved it, I was in my leanest self, but I didn't have cool muscle mass improvement, it was awesome and I was super fit, but it's now, that I lift heavy 3x week that I can see that muscle taking shape and volume. I don't know about the long conmute hmmm, can you have CF 2x week and go to gym maybe 2 times? I don't know how busy you are on schedule!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Sara1791 wrote: »

Coulda fooled me. Deadlift, squat, bench, and olympic lifting alternating - four days a week. Tracked and recorded.

ETA:
    then WOD,
    then stretching.

Resistance training isn't the same thing as muscle building or strength programming...I've never seen a body builder doing CF except when in a cut...I've never seen a power lifter or competitive Oly lifter doing CF.

Those lifts in CF are often done with low weight and high volume...when I did CF it was more of like circuit training on steroids...great for a cut.
  • Sara1791
    edited January 2017
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

ETA:
    then WOD,
    then stretching.

Resistance training isn't the same thing as muscle building or strength programming...I've never seen a body builder doing CF except when in a cut...I've never seen a power lifter or competitive Oly lifter doing CF.

Those lifts in CF are often done with low weight and high volume...when I did CF it was more of like circuit training on steroids...great for a cut.

You're right that it's not specialization of any kind.

But progressive, heavy lifting is part of the plan - at least where I go.

I see this common idea that CF is just the WOD, and maybe that's so in some places, but it has not been my experience.

ETA: Is it possible that the coach at my box has tweaked the program to such an extent that it is really that different?
  • BhangraPrince
    BhangraPrince Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I've heard CF is similar to a cult
  • Sara1791
    edited January 2017
    Options
    So, I guess my experience may be the exception.

The following is completely apart from the WOD.
    At CF, I was doing 5x5 sets for a while, but now I'm doing one lift per day, mostly due to time constraints. I'm learning olympic lifts on the fourth day, with no weight (pvc pipe).

Week 1: 5 x 8 Squat, Deadlift, Bench
    Week 2: 5 x 5 Squat, Deadlift, Bench
    Week 3: 5 x 3 Squat, Deadlift, Bench
    Week 4: 5 x 2 Squat, Deadlift, Bench
    Week 5: 5 x 1 Squat, Deadlift, Bench
    Week 6: deload
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason that you can't do the same lifting in your gym?
  • Runescape86
    Runescape86 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    One rack at my gym and very intimidating for me
  • jillybeansalad
    jillybeansalad Posts: 239 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

I see this common idea that CF is just the WOD, and maybe that's so in some places, but it has not been my experience.

ETA: Is it possible that the coach at my box has tweaked the program to such an extent that it is really that different?

That's kinda the thing with CF. It's not standardized and it's really a general term. You really have to find a decent Box that has an actual knowledgeable trainer. I like to think of it like a franchise. Not all CF places are equal.

I would put it into a 'plus side' if your coach is adjusting it to that extent. :)

• Sara1791
    edited January 2017
    Options

That's kinda the thing with CF. It's not standardized and it's really a general term. You really have to find a decent Box that has an actual knowledgeable trainer. I like to think of it like a franchise. Not all CF places are equal.

I would put it into a 'plus side' if your coach is adjusting it to that extent. :)

This makes sense to me and I'm not surprised that there's variation, but it is strange to me that it would be so extreme. I mean, you can get identical Big Macs in every McDonalds.

edit: typos
  • SymbolismNZ
    SymbolismNZ Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    A major benefit of CrossFit is the combination of an instructor/teacher being on hand most of the time while you do your sessions, and also being within a group which can often boost your effort output.
  • SymbolismNZ
    SymbolismNZ Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    This makes sense to me and I'm not surprised that there's variation, but it is strange to me that it would be so extreme. I mean, you can get identical Big Macs in every McDonalds.

It's the form/posture during exercises that makes a lot of distance, ensuring you're doing the right movements lowers the risk of injury while also raising the positive benefits of the exercise.

I used to box for around 14 years and the difference between someone who teaches fundamental footwork, how to move your body and head, how to load up punches versus how to use quick punches and feints is huge for what is all essentially a basic movement - throwing a punch.
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Several Cross Fit boxes around here are very much focused on compound lifting, and heavy lifting. At least two have powerlifting and Olympic lifting classes separate from their regular WOD classes, which also incorporate compound lifts.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could justify they time lost in commuting, no matter how much more I liked one facility over another.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I would add the commute time if the coaching and programing at your CF affiliate is top notch.
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    Done both. I see more results from crossfit
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    What's your time worth?

Usually, CF prices are significantly higher than an average gym membership.

My point is, if time and money aren't an issue, I'd stick with what you like better (CF is what I'm gathering). I can't imagine time not being an issue though, or you probably wouldn't have mentioned it.

My choice, given equal circumstances, would be the gym. If you can't get over that intimidated feeling after some time, start making the further commute.