Ack!! My doc said walking is useless!!??

Options
13»

Replies

• ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    I once lost 75 lbs using walking as my only exercise. Don't listen to that doctor. Some truly have their heads in the sand. If walking is your choice of exercise that you enjoy then do it.
  • taraskaminskyj
    taraskaminskyj Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I never post but felt I had to after reading this. I ONLY walk as my exercise - yes I control my calories too, but I pretty much eat my daily fill. I have lost 56 pounds over a year and a half at a steady rate through walking. I also feel really good about myself and enjoy my walking a lot. Go and walk and tell your doctor to walk too. Good luck and post back when your target weight has been reached (because it WILL).
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Most exercise is useless for weight loss. You can't out exercise a bad diet. Exercise is for fitness and all exercise is good for health and fitness! If you like to walk, then walk! It's one of the best things to keep you moving. Lifting weights is great because helps you retain muscle while losing weight. I lost 149 pounds while walking, lifting, and EATING AT A CALORIE DEFICIT.

You don't need to tell doctor what you think of his remarks. Just tell him what routine you're doing.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Wife and I lost our first hundred pounds with walking as our only exercise. We did weight lifting later.

Walking is good exercise but. For weight loss exercise is second to diet. I had a twenty pound loss over a ten week period. Based on the calorie deficit from diet and the calories exercise burned only 20% of the loss was from walking, 80% diet.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Walking has been my main form of exercise during my weightloss journey. What your doctor says is simply incorrect. In the end it is about CiCO and I know that with one of my favorite hikes I burn many more calories than with my usualy weight training.