Do you think keto is healthy?

Options
13»

Replies

• SymbolismNZ
    SymbolismNZ Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Weight loss is probably the largest variable to healthy, along with exercise and genetics, but increase MUFA/PUFA, Omega 3's and MCT can probably help as well.

Realistically, Blood Pressure and TC/HDL are more important to your actual health, but that's splitting hairs as in most cases someone losing weight normally restricts the foods that would cause those two things to be an issue.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Weight loss is probably the largest variable to healthy, along with exercise and genetics, but increase MUFA/PUFA, Omega 3's and MCT can probably help as well.

Realistically, Blood Pressure and TC/HDL are more important to your actual health, but that's splitting hairs as in most cases someone losing weight normally restricts the foods that would cause those two things to be an issue.

And body composition/weight loss and exercise directly improve all of that. So whats the argument. I think we are in agreement.
  • SymbolismNZ
    Options
    Yeah, like I said - splitting hairs, but I know many an obese person with great BP and TC/HDL ratios, as well as some thin people with terrible ratios, so it's important to note.

Another benefit which you pointed to was the increased Omega 3 and MCTs; a lot of the time you'll find that those on a keto diet are also paying more attention to their micronutrients due to removing a lot of sources for things like potassium, vitamin c and other things, most nutritionists will suggest a vitamin stack which while not related to the actual keto diet, is likely to give you more of the nutrients you need day to day than a traditional American diet.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    It's a fad - just like gluten free.

I've been on keto for over a year, lowest weight I've been in 30 years, not yet at goal weight, I went on it for neurologic reasons- the weight loss is a side benefit. I doubt that I could keep on it just for weight loss. I think for most people it may not be suitable.

My wife is on gluten free for real health reasons and most people should avoid it also.

As far as the standard guidelines for eating - they change routinely - so don't rely on them - eggs are out, then eggs are ok again. Fat is in, fat is out. I eat both.
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Options
    Ketosis is a state of starvation. Our brains prefer to use glucose as the energy source. Glucose is required for cellular respiration.

Keto makes no sense and coupled with the fact that it often includes loads of saturated fat and cholesterol...it's not sustainable to avoid carbs for life.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I live under a rock. Apparently keto is the current dieting fad and I doubt it has anything to do with health like I thought... yikes.

Quest Nutrition co-founder Tom Bilyeu concurs. “You have to have a ketogenic product line—that’s where everything is going, and rightly so—and we’re at the forefront of that,” he said to a gathering of reporters at last year’s Mr. Olympia Expo. “And we have the full complement of items ready to go: high-fat, low-calories cookies and chips that will cause the body to burn fat reserves even as they keep you satiated.”

Anthony Roberts emphasized that market imperatives, not humanitarian ideals, best explain this rapid transition toward ketogenic foods. “Remember all of those absurd fat free products of the 1990s through the 2000s? That was a multi-billion dollar industry. Now that keto dieting is big, we have another multi-billion dollar industry in the works, and a lot of vested financial interests working to keep their low/no-carb profits rolling in,” he said.

Google Users Can’t Stop Searching for the Ketogenic Diet

As insulin resistance goes, I've read plenty in regards to it actually making it worse...yes, folks in keto are in remission, but if they were to start eating carbs again, they'd be worse off than they were before. My dad was a type II diabetic and worked with a registered dietitian specializing in diabetes...she never once suggested doing keto. My dad went into remission when he lost weight and dropped the junk food he was eating and started eating more whole foods, to include many complex carbohydrates.

When someone in ketosis returns to a higher carb diet, their BG levels will go higher, but it only lasts a few days. It's transient. Those in ketosis who need to do an oral glucose tolerance tests (OGTT) will resume eating carbs for a few days prior to the test so their body has time to get used to the higher glucose level again.

I would say this is not dissimilar to someone who starts keto and feels a little light headed from low BG for a few days. It takes the body some time to adapt.

Please remember that what worked for your father may not work for others who are using ketosis for the therapeutic benefits.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    People assume vegetables are healthy and needed in great quantity. Or at all. It's just an assumption.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdRBFiBWQZQ

So essentially, there just isn't enough data to determine the true effect of vegetables since the studies (or at least the ones she looked at) dont' do a good job at only changing the one variable. She does make an argument though that fruits are what supposed to be eating, and often that is the one thing that is severely limited or even non existent on Keto diets.

Basically, yes. There is no real evidence that veggies are as healthy for us as people assume.

Her comments on fruit do make sense to me. They are designed to be tasty, and have no chemical protection like veggies do. Funnily enough, most of the "veggies" that I really enjoy, like peppers, cucumbers, nuts, seeds, avocado, and snap peas, are all fruits. Keto'ers just avoid the very high GI fruits - usually tropical fruits. Berries and temperate fruits are okay as long as you don't eat a bunch. I had a mandarin today, for example.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Ketosis is a state of starvation. Our brains prefer to use glucose as the energy source. Glucose is required for cellular respiration.

Keto makes no sense and coupled with the fact that it often includes loads of saturated fat and cholesterol...it's not sustainable to avoid carbs for life.

It really isn't a state of starvation. I gained about 8 lbs while in ketosis this year.

Parts of the brain need glucose, although most of it can run very well, or possibly better in those with IR.

As per the saturated fats and cholesterol, those old claims are rapidly credibility.

Plus, it isn't "avoid" carbs. Keto is about limiting carbs.
  • LisaEatSleepRun
    LisaEatSleepRun Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Batman_75 wrote: »

This is the biggest one for me. I have struggled with food my entire life. Hunger and cravings so abundant and so continuous that I has considered seeking counseling for my food addiction. Being on keto has had a life altering effect in this regard. Most days I don't even eat until 1pm because I am simply not hungry. Sugar and my body do not get along. It is one of the most addictive substances on the planet. And even the good natural kind of sugars sends me into fits of ravenous hunger. I have never felt more in control than I have felt on a ketogenic diet.

• LisaEatSleepRun
    LisaEatSleepRun Posts: 159 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    +1
    This is also the biggest benefit for me. I have definitely considered myself a food/carb addict for much of my adult life and now I am not. Just by limiting carbs! I am in control of my diet and have a healthy relationship with food for the first time ever. I agree that this lifestyle is not for everyone, but it works for me.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    There is some misinformation regarding ketogenic diets on this thread. I've been on a medically supervised keto diet for 6 months. Essentially, you can eat whatever you want, as long as you keep your carb level at or below approximately 50 grams/day for women, slightly higher for men. Anything over that will kick your body out of ketosis. If you want a piece of fruit that has a higher level of carbs, you make adjustments for the day. I've lost over 70 pounds with maybe another 20 or so to go. I feel great, have much more energy. All of my blood work is in the normal range - no more meds for prediabetes or high cholesterol. My BMI is now within 2 points of the normal range (a decrease of 12 pts.). Once you reach your goal weight, you can slowly increase the carb level until you reach a maintenance point that will stop the weight loss but prevent weight gain. It's not a fad diet if done correctly. This is a lifestyle change that works for some. There is a lot of useful information out there, you just have to sift through it to see if it will work for you.

I don't know why to me this has the same imminent sense of doom as "you eat whatever you want, as long as you keep your calories under 500".

You said it right, though. It works for some. I'm sure low fat works for some too even back when it was a fad. The issue with fads is that people somehow feel compelled to view them as the only right way to do something. That's who the diet industry is usually counting on: repeat customers for whom something doesn't work but they keep stubbornly ramming their head into it.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    OMG i had just about finished writing a long post, and my cat jumped up and stepped on my keyboard and completely spazzed out my computer and erased it all!! :rage:

For future reference, when that happens press Ctrl+z, you may need to do it more than once if there is a lot of text damage, unless you mean your computer froze.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    OMG i had just about finished writing a long post, and my cat jumped up and stepped on my keyboard and completely spazzed out my computer and erased it all!! :rage:

For future reference, when that happens press Ctrl+z, you may need to do it more than once if there is a lot of text damage, unless you mean your computer froze.

Thank you! No, it didn't freeze. It just closed down all of my screens and sent me back to my start menu.

• amusedmonkey
    Options

Thank you! No, it didn't freeze. It just closed down all of my screens and sent me back to my start menu.

ِAh, it wouldn't have helped in that case. It only works if you accidentally erase or modify text, but are still in the text box. It would have also saved whatever you typed if you were using chrome and had it set up to re-open everything on launch.
  • SymbolismNZ
    Options

The myth that the brain needs carbohydrates has been busted many times over, your body is actually quite efficient and the only thing it absolutely needs is protein, which is why you're able to trade carbs for fats or fats for carbs and still function normally.

The idea that ketosis removes glucose from your blood stream is also a myth, you still have glucose in the blood stream through gluconeogenesis which converts proteins and certain fatty acids into glucose for your blood stream. What your body effectively changes though is instead of building glycogen stores within your muscles, your muscles start to fuel themselves on ketones instead, initially as you adapt you'll have less output in your muscles, but many people have become endurance runners while on a ketosis diet once they've properly adapted to the diet.

The problem you have in this forum is a lot of people who got sick of the "drop carbs and lose weight" or "sugar is addictive" routines that they themselves stop reading research, stop growing their knowledge and ultimately become similar to this, where they're making statements that are blatantly false.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    In my opinion, it could be a healthy diet for someone with medical reasons to eat this way, but the average person would have to really focus in order to get adequate nutrition with such restrictions.

This...

• J72FIT
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Just because it's been around for a long time doesn't mean it's not a fad...you can read about it in just about every health and fitness magazine at the moment...it's totally a fad in that context.

and this...
  • J72FIT
    Options
    It can be healthy, but it takes more effort for it to be so. As a rule of thumb, the more varied a diet is the more room for error it has in terms of beneficial nutrients.

and this...
  • J72FIT
    Options
    All diets can be implemented in a healthy and unhealthy way. It's not the diet that is the issue, but usually the person implementing.

and so much this...