Shorties like me under 5'5 positive vibes only!

Options

Replies

• jenniferj0417
    jenniferj0417 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Larissa_NY wrote: »
    5'3 here. In maintenance right now, but my God doesn't weight show up on us fast. Every pound I gain goes straight to my face, I swear. The good thing, I guess, is that weight loss shows up fast as well. My sister is 5'10 and she has to lose like 25 pounds to see the same changes I do from losing 10 pounds.

Omg that is so true!
  • jenniferj0417
    Options
    I am down 2 lbs today. Can I hear a Whoo Hoo!?!?!?! :D

Great job Toni!!!!
  • jenniferj0417
    Options
    bossymom15 wrote: »
    Lost 1lb this week. I'll take it! Had a couple of beers after work with a friend last night. I had already planned supper and logged it. I started to turn off on my way home and get some junk food, and just drove past the drive thru on home and ate what I had planned. for me that was a small win. I find it helps to log things ahead during the day to know where I will end up.

Great job! Baby steps! I did the same thing but I didn't have the will power to drive past 711! I hoped out and got some chocolate!
  • jenniferj0417
    Options
    molly3210 wrote: »
    I don't know about anyone else, but when I only prepare dinner for myself I've been finding it much easier to stay within daily calories. My man is out of town for the week, and eating has been simple... And smaller portions! I'm excited to see what the scale says after a week of this.

Omg yes!!!!! If it's just me I can eat within my calorie goal with no problem what so ever! But with hubby, he eats bad and I can't help but get tempted to eat what I cook for him too

He comes home today.... I'm gonna have to be careful, this man likes his full meals lol

lol I feel ya girl!!!
  • tonithewriter
    tonithewriter Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I don't know about anyone else, but when I only prepare dinner for myself I've been finding it much easier to stay within daily calories. My man is out of town for the week, and eating has been simple... And smaller portions! I'm excited to see what the scale says after a week of this.

Omg yes!!!!! If it's just me I can eat within my calorie goal with no problem what so ever! But with hubby, he eats bad and I can't help but get tempted to eat what I cook for him too

He comes home today.... I'm gonna have to be careful, this man likes his full meals lol

lol I feel ya girl!!!

It's great that you are aware that it will be a challenge. Do you have a plan to make your own meals full? Drinking a glass of water before your meal? Fixing a nice big salad to go with the main dish? Looking forward to an update on how you do. You've got this!
  • megjaxtx
    megjaxtx Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 5'2 and just hoping to lose my last 15lbs. I was 178 and now I'm down to 155.Yay!! ( took about 6 months). Was diagnosed with PCOS back in Oct and it completely made sense why the weight wasn't just pouring off. I'm stuck in a rut now. This is my first week trying keto. I'm really open to ideas and suggestions and will do the same as needed.
  • yogagirlT
    yogagirlT Posts: 91 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    yogagirlT wrote: »
    Trying to lose at least 50 pounds. By being short it seems like it's much easier to gain weight. I'm like a yoyo, my weight goes up and down. I have a hard time losing weight and keeping it off. I am a chef and sometimes it's hard to eat healthy. I am taking baby steps to change ingredients in my favorite dishes to make them more healthy. I'm looking for women around my size for tips and motivation!

I am 5 ft and I know the struggle all to well. 5 lbs on us short women looks and feels like 20. I would be happy to share swap out ingredient tips to help you. I am not a chef but I love to cook and am a foodie (and love my wine--and part Sicilian!)

You are taking a great first step. I also highly recommend starting out with some exercise. I work with a health coach and I am also a Zumba teacher. I passed along this tip to my students that I got from her. You can break up 30 minutes of exercise with 10 minute exercise breaks--one in the AM, afternoon and one later in the evening. Or even 5 minutes. Think small and work your way up. Exercise will get your metabolism revved up.

For me, portion control is huge and watching my carbs and sugar. I got off track over the holidays but am tracking again which is my saving grace. It is all about being mindful and not beating yourself up.

Feel free to add me as a friend. I have tons of ideas for recipe swaps and I live tweaking recipes to make them healthier with more wholesome and clean ingredients.

Hang in there!

Awesome advice. I started walking with my do last summer and found that once I got going, I enjoyed it and started lengthening my walks. It was really a matter of just getting started. And it did make a difference. I didn't get so out of breath. I felt more limber and had more energy.

I used to do Zumba with friends and really enjoyed it. I moved and would like to do it at home. yogagirl, do you have any resources for someone who wants to do Zumba at home? Toni in IL

There are Zumba apps and DVDs if you want to do Zumba at home. I think the Wii also has Zumba as an option but not sure. Zumba doesn't want teachers promoting (or even making free videos to post online), but there are free Zumba YouTube videos if you can't make it to a class or can't afford the classes.

For newbies, I recommend taking a class so you can correctly learn the dances and rhythms and they are a blast. :)
  • yogagirlT
    Options
    Just wanted to share I am on Day 20 of a 31 day yoga challenge and in my yoga class on Monday night, I felt really strong, especially my upper body. :) This is definitely huge motivation for me to dedicate time each day to my yoga practice. Other than my Monday night class, I was on and off last year with doing yoga at home.

Since it's been raining and stormy here this week, I also found great mini workout apps. Uhmm yeah those 7 -10 interval workouts are no joke. If you don't have a lot of time and want to mix up your workouts, the short workout apps are great and free!!!
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I jog in place in the living room, while the cats stare at me as if I'd lost my mind.

Five-footer, and 58 years old. Yes, the pounds show on us! I'm in maintenance, indulged with baking and such over the holidays, gained 3 pounds. Am now 108, where I should be 105. And yes, it shows! But I'll get back down. I lost 34 pounds pretty steadily two years ago. I did it by paying attention to macros/micros as well as CiCo (sodium and I are apparently not friends), walking a lot, and by not stressing over meals: eating slowly and enjoying the food as opposed to chucking it down so I could get to more important things. Cooking so you can control what you're eating helps too.

Good luck to you!
  • tonithewriter
    Options
    Just wanted to share I am on Day 20 of a 31 day yoga challenge and in my yoga class on Monday night, I felt really strong, especially my upper body. :) This is definitely huge motivation for me to dedicate time each day to my yoga practice. Other than my Monday night class, I was on and off last year with doing yoga at home.

Since it's been raining and stormy here this week, I also found great mini workout apps. Uhmm yeah those 7 -10 interval workouts are no joke. If you don't have a lot of time and want to mix up your workouts, the short workout apps are great and free!!!

I have never gotten into yoga, but in reading your posts, I like the idea of shorter intervals. I have a bit of a bad back and I know my core strength is weaker than it could be. Short yoga intervals might be something for me that won't take a lot of time and will build up my core strength.
  • psychrat
    psychrat Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4 and I have about 25 lbs or so to lose. I am at a deficit of .5 lbs a week and still I could eat so much more and am envious of taller individuals. However, I know that with exercise I could eat more ;) haha it's that motivation piece that sometimes kicks my behind!
    I am always looking for supportive friends and please feel free to add me if you wish
  • jenniferj0417
    Options

That's great! You're almost done with your challenge! I started the fit star yoga app last week and I love it! It's taking me through all of the basics! Now I feel like I can confidently join an actual class without feeling too out of place! Lol
  • Wakeup2014
    Wakeup2014 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    About 5'4 and would like to lose 30lb! I'm in the zone! Would love some new buddies!
  • yogagirlT
    Options
    spzjlb wrote: »
    I am 5'4" and 52 yrs old. I lost around 30 lbs and have maintained for 15-16 months. It was a challenge to lose so I don't want to regain and start over!!

My tip to help keep a deficit is to get in a little intense exercise every day. 30 min (get really sweaty with a Jillian DVD, some free online workout or go for a jog/power walk with your favorite tunes). Even though I have a family and demanding career, 30 min is not that hard to find each day for me, and less daunting than heading to the gym 3 times per week for 90 min. Those short DAILY workouts make it so much easier to achieve our calorie goals.

I hardly ever miss a workout even now because those are my "wine calories". If I could lose at 50 years old and maintain, then all of you can, too!!! Good luck!

You're story is inspiring. Thanks for sharing! I work from home now but when I was a fundraiser for non-profits my job was beyond stressful and demanding. For me, the only way to get in exercise each day was daily yoga and Pilates classes at a gym. I walk and workout from home now but take a yoga class on Monday nights. I definitely agree that an intense cardio workout for at least 30 minutes, especially if you have a busy life, family and career, is the way to go if you are pressed for time.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Ha-ha--I lost 105 pounds AFTER I started weighing myself! Good grief! Sometimes I think I should not allow myself to type in on my phone. Like I am now .... :grin:
  • tonithewriter
    Options

That's great! You're almost done with your challenge! I started the fit star yoga app last week and I love it! It's taking me through all of the basics! Now I feel like I can confidently join an actual class without feeling too out of place! Lol

You're making great progress! Awesome!