Weighing Food Takes Too Long And is OBSESSIVE!

Options

Replies

• andrea4736
    andrea4736 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Dnarules wrote: »
    I'm bored. I was actually looking for a train wreck :).

Head on over to the Pop Tart thread...

I can believe that thread is still going on...

I read a couple of pages...I just can't bring myself to read hundreds of posts about POP TARTS!

Well that certainly didn't disappoint :D
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I agree with the title. At least for me.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    It is also unnecessary for a lot of people. I'm a total grazer AND I also don't weigh my food anymore although I have in the past.... I still lose, and quickly. The key is setting my goals low so I have wiggle room. xD Less stressful.

Totally agree with OP but I agree with this too!

People just got to figure what works for them. I think what most people who are in favor of weighing are trying to say though is that if overestimating/having a low calorie goal doesn't work for someone, it's really not such a hassle to weigh food.

I didn't weigh at first, but I wasn't eating back exercise calories. That worked too. I just decided to try to be more accurate (so I could fit in treats, not gonna lie, because you really don't want to underestimate the high calorie stuff) after a couple months.
  • Francl27
    Options
    I have friends who have just started logging (so excited for them!) but they don't weigh. I've looked at their log and I think they are probably underestimating their food by quite a bit... but they also have a low goal, so I don't want to pester them about it.
  • andrea4736
    andrea4736 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    It is also unnecessary for a lot of people. I'm a total grazer AND I also don't weigh my food anymore although I have in the past.... I still lose, and quickly. The key is setting my goals low so I have wiggle room. xD Less stressful.

Totally agree with OP but I agree with this too!

People just got to figure what works for them. I think what most people who are in favor of weighing are trying to say though is that if overestimating/having a low calorie goal doesn't work for someone, it's really not such a hassle to weigh food.

I didn't weigh at first, but I wasn't eating back exercise calories. That worked too. I just decided to try to be more accurate (so I could fit in treats, not gonna lie, because you really don't want to underestimate the high calorie stuff) after a couple months.

Plus I think some of us (ahem, me) really suck at estimating, lol. It's easy to see why I wasn't losing weight or was gaining weight for so long. I was WAY off.
  • Francl27
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I have friends who have just started logging (so excited for them!) but they don't weigh. I've looked at their log and I think they are probably underestimating their food by quite a bit... but they also have a low goal, so I don't want to pester them about it.

Yes. Estimating works great, until it doesn't. If it works forever, wonderful!

I joined MFP when estimating was already failing for me (after about 28 pounds lost) and I'd decided I needed to log more accurately.

If folks are successful without logging, or successful without weighing food, more power to them. I applaud them!

(P.S. Some who replied here seem to think I - I'm OP - believe logging is a religious necessity. I don't. Many people, though not all, need it as a tool. Some of those who need it, avoid it because they think it's time-consuming or obsessive, even though they may be using cups/spoons to measure stuff regularly, which is actually more time-consuming than weighing, and just as obsessive. ;) I just wanted to share tips for weighing food efficiently (and title it in a way that would get people to read it ;) ).

I'm with you... using cups and spoons boggles my mind a little because it's more work and less accurate. However, I believe that they're pretty useful when you have to estimate - it's probably easier to estimate how much broccoli you have by volume than by weight when you don't have a scale available (although I'm always shocked at how small a cup really is).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,275 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Yes. Estimating works great, until it doesn't. If it works forever, wonderful!

I joined MFP when estimating was already failing for me (after about 28 pounds lost) and I'd decided I needed to log more accurately.

If folks are successful without logging, or successful without weighing food, more power to them. I applaud them!

(P.S. Some who replied here seem to think I - I'm OP - believe logging is a religious necessity. I don't. Many people, though not all, need it as a tool. Some of those who need it, avoid it because they think it's time-consuming or obsessive, even though they may be using cups/spoons to measure stuff regularly, which is actually more time-consuming than weighing, and just as obsessive. ;) I just wanted to share tips for weighing food efficiently (and title it in a way that would get people to read it ;) ).

I'm with you... using cups and spoons boggles my mind a little because it's more work and less accurate. However, I believe that they're pretty useful when you have to estimate - it's probably easier to estimate how much broccoli you have by volume than by weight when you don't have a scale available (although I'm always shocked at how small a cup really is).

No argument from me on that point. I also often try to estimate the weight of something before I look at its scale weight, to sharpen my estimating skills with near-zero time investment.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options

Yeah, I guess sometimes you don't want to put people off, too! If they get stuck and wonder why, that would be a good time to bring up the idea of weighing.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Larissa_NY wrote: »
    I've never weighed or measured my food in my entire life. I've also never been obese or even significantly overweight, and I've never had trouble losing ten or fifteen pounds when I needed to.

Weighing and measuring is okay if you need it, I guess, but not everyone does.

My wife is like that. And it is absolutely fine for those that it works for. Some are calling it intuitive eating. So,yes. Not everyone one does.

But a lot of us on this website are not that way, which is why we are here. I need a food scale and to learn proper portions etc.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    JenHuedy wrote: »

Conversely, if I graze, I easily overeat because I will literally put something in my mouth every 5 minutes.

Same, it's amazing how good I am at lying to myself about how many calories could possibly be in that mouthful of stuff I just stuck in my headhole!

Oh lordy, don't I know this one! I'd been stuck for awhile. I've been around here enough to know I was eating too much, but the voice of denial was strong. It said "you've lost 90 pounds, you know what you're doing, there's no way you're eating too much!" So I decided I was going to PROVE that I really was a special snowflake and weigh every crumb! I KNEW I was eating WAY under my TDEE and those little bits of granola and handfuls of blueberries were nothing! I hit 200 calories in nibbles by noon. Voice of denial beaten into submission. Snowflake status cancelled.

I have one for you. It wasn't quite this but close. I knew something was up, but wasn't sure what it was. I kept thinking maybe I just had the world's worst case of metabolic adaptation or something. My logging wasn't the best, but the only things I was lax about were things like sriracha sauce and that 5 calorie sugar free ketchup. I kept adjusting my Fitbit to give me lower calorie adjustments.

Well, I found the culprit. Me a veteran, with a 94 pound loss. I was using package info for popcorn, a food I ate daily. Had I been using a USDA entry, I'd have been recording about 200 additional calories a day.

That explained SOOOOOOOOO much about, oh, I'd say the last 6 months of 2016.