Weighing Food Takes Too Long And is OBSESSIVE!

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've been weighing my food for 2 years, and i stiiiiiill get the judgmental looks and comments from my husband. None of my family know i weigh my food, or else I'd cop it from them too, not in a mean way, more confused than anything. I can just see the "i feel so sorry for you, you crazy obsessed lady" looks I'd get :noway: They know i count my calories, but haven't twigged to the scale usage.

I get that a lot, myself. I really catch flack from my mom who is convinced that CICO doesn't work and it's all about moderation and good calories/bad calories. She's all like, "counting calories doesn't mean anything if you're going to put that on your sandwich" or "if you just ate better, you wouldn't have to weigh things". BAH!

Grrrr that would really grate on my nerves!

• MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't weigh things much at all anymore unless it's something that I haven't eaten in a while. I've learned to eyeball things pretty well over the last year or so. Early on though a food scale was a very essential part of my success in losing weight.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    everher wrote: »
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    everher wrote: »
    Eh, to each their own. I tried it for a week - just wasn't worth the hassle. I got to goal just estimating and was happy with the result. Some people need it, some people don't. Definitely worth a try though if you find yourself stalling for some reason. :)

I don't weigh my food and as of now, 11 weeks into this journey, I don't foresee having to weigh my food. I have weighed my food in the past, but I've been at this weight loss game so long (yo-yo dieting for well over a decade) I know what a serving looks like.

I am sure I am underestimating some foods and overestimating others but it doesn't bother me and it's working for me. Almost 20 lbs down since 10/23.

I believe weighing food is a good tool for those who can't eyeball though or eat a lot of calorie dense foods.

I hope not weighing is working for you. I've yo-yoed for about 40 years and it wasn't til I went through the process of weighing and measuring every bite that I was able to break that cycle. I think more than the accuracy of the calories, it gave me focus. I'm not as meticulous as I was since reaching my goal, but I know I still have to be careful. Down 50 pounds since 1/5/16, 60# total after a little up and down since 2013.

As of now it is. The first time I ever lost weight (some 14 years ago) I didn't even know weighing your food on a food scale was a thing and managed to lose 80lbs and reach a healthy BMI.

I maintained that weight loss for years until I became less active, stopped weighing myself regularly, and honestly, went back to old habits of overeating and just not monitoring my intake.

Over the past eight years or so I've gone on more than few diets where I would be super restrictive and lose 20 lbs or 30 lbs but eventually cave and binge.

About two years ago I read about using a food scale and decided to implement it. I used it consistently for about six months, but I was never far off what I thought a serving was. Just seemed like an extra step for me.

I lost my food scale in my move last year and when I started this journey I just couldn't be bothered to buy another one when I felt I didn't really need it.

I started off 11 weeks ago needing to lose 61 lbs to reach a healthy BMI. I need to lose 41 lbs now to reach that goal so I'm about a third of the way there. Weight loss has not stalled so far nor have I ever recorded a gain in my 11 weeks.

If anything changes, I will use a food scale, but based on my previous weight loss attempts and my current weight loss I don't believe I need to use one at this time.

That's awesome. I may get to a point where I'm comfortable without my scale, but right now it's still my best buddy along with my dog and my hiking shoes. I chuckle when I think of my attempts in the past to lose weight, I didn't have a freakin' clue, but I did have a little bitty paperback book (printed in the 70's) that listed the calorie content of common foods. No help whatsoever because I was clueless and so was the book.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Saw the thread title.

Saw who the OP was.

Knew this would not be a train wreck in spite of BuzzFeed nature of title.

Fear not. There's still time.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Dnarules wrote: »
    I'm bored. I was actually looking for a train wreck :).

Head on over to the Pop Tart thread...

Lol. I've been there. I've been afraid to comment in that one.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Dnarules wrote: »
    I'm bored. I was actually looking for a train wreck :).

Head on over to the Pop Tart thread...

I can believe that thread is still going on...

I read a couple of pages...I just can't bring myself to read hundreds of posts about POP TARTS!