Is it worth it? Please help a confused girl

Options
13»

Replies

• vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Regarding personal trainers: mine was about half that cost, but a good investment for me because it gave me the accountability I need, and the financial pinch kept me coming back every session. Plus, I learned a great deal. When I considered the cost, I asked myself: how much did I spend on booze back in my drinking days? How much does a heavy smoker spend on cigarettes every month with nothing positive to show for his habit?
  • GenF32
    GenF32 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss what he's saying. That sounds like about what I spend a month on PT, and our sessions have followed a fairly similar pattern. I've been working with the PT for a year and have had some amazing results, however as someone else said my PT does also give me really good advice about my diet.

We had to do a lot of work getting my sluggish muscles to activate, particularly my glutes, to protect a dodgy hip and only now after a year are we getting into lifting some serious weights.

I haven't had my body fat tested but I'm guessing it's about 30% now. The rationale for waiting to get into the lifting, was just to protect myself from injury in my case, not because she thought I was 'too heavy'.
  • shanniepk
    shanniepk Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Glad you decided NOT to do use this trainer. This is a complete scam, and I had a similar experience and paid $55 for an "assessment" which gave me the same type of "plan". I should have asked for my money back. Not to say personal trainers aren't worth it, because good ones are worth every penny but they aren't going to tell you that you need that many sessions up front. You might try joining some strength training/bootcamp or other body weight/dumbbell type classes if they are available to you. Usually the instructor will go through good form in class for a very reduced price, and you'll get your feet wet. Remember, weight loss is mostly food and my class instructors will even go over my journals and make recommendations at no additional cost.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Glad you decided NOT to do use this trainer. This is a complete scam, and I had a similar experience and paid $55 for an "assessment" which gave me the same type of "plan". I should have asked for my money back. Not to say personal trainers aren't worth it, because good ones are worth every penny but they aren't going to tell you that you need that many sessions up front.

The health club I go to has nutritionists as well as certified personal trainers available. I had a fitness assessment, and they told me what plans were available ... Including reduced prices for purchasing "bundles", single a la cart sessions, as well as a variety of classes like Pilates at a reduced price. But there was never any mention of my needing a certain number of sessions up front, and I didn't feel I was overpromised results. However ... One of my trainers admitted to me they all had a quota to meet and were under pressure to produce, which meant selling product to clients, like additional services and nutritional products. I suspect many of these kids go into the field because they love fitness and love working with clients but are required to sell by the places they work for. It is, after all, a business.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    What most gym owners (and management in general in most companies) don't understand is that focusing on customer's needs, solving their problems, and providing a quality product usually results in a positive financial performance as well. But they don't have the patience to succeed on merit, so it's the hard sell, customer manipulation, etc. Plus a lot of smaller gyms are always in a price war with other centers, so they are desperate to generate as much ancillary revenue as possible. The current trend in a lot of businesses is to adopt a "hunger games" approach with their employees. The idea that if you pit everyone against each other, they'll work harder. It's a lazy substitute for using their own brains, but gym owners as a rule are not known for their intellect.