Is eating 5000 calories per day doable

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2017
    Options
    BHFF wrote: »
    Here is the problem with white bread....it has SUGAR. White rice does not. I would avoid white breads if it were me. White rice is fine though

All carbs turn into glucose and stored as glycogen or fat, regardless of the source. A bit semantically, carbs are less likely to convert to fat, or at least according to several overfeeding studies on DNL. But that is mainly due to carbs can suppress fat oxidation, and it's less metabolically taxing to convert fatty acids to body fat. Don't get me wrong, you should have a varied diet to ensure adequate nutrients support muscle growth, hormone balance, satiety and energy. But overall, if you are bulking, it's not very difficult to get adequate nutrients.

BTW, is this thread on getting 5k calories or contest prep. I know Dr. Layne Norton (natty), will go Keto for contest prep, and then high carb the day before to give his muscles that graining/full look. But he is a beast.
  • letsgain01
    letsgain01 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Well this is a WEIGHT GAINING & BODYBUILDING thread so I am assuming the people here are into eating clean I would hope lol.....Nothing wrong or "unclean" about white rice, its all I eat when I eat rice. White rice actually digests much easier than brown rice. Nothing not clean about white rice at all.

I don't if you're aware but your op and the rest of your comments are really condescending.
    Here is the problem with white bread....it has SUGAR. White rice does not. I would avoid white breads if it were me. White rice is fine though

I thought unused carbs turned into sugar

Any carb whatsoever breaks down into some form of sugar in the body so yes
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Well this is a WEIGHT GAINING & BODYBUILDING thread so I am assuming the people here are into eating clean I would hope lol.....Nothing wrong or "unclean" about white rice, its all I eat when I eat rice. White rice actually digests much easier than brown rice. Nothing not clean about white rice at all.

Arnold & co. got huge on pizza and beer, alongside their chicken and veggies. IIFYM.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Again this is a bodybuilding forum. Whats wrong with sugar??? Do you really want me to list the unhealthy reasons why we should all be avoiding sugar?

Is this really a serious post/thread?

Yes. Seriously full of broscience and fearmongering.

It's January.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »

I just made several sourdough loaves with no sugar, just flour, water and salt, although I would normally add 1 tsp per 1-lb loaf. Is that clean? If so, I will add that to our definition of clean foods:

1-lb rustic boule of homemade white sourdough bread with 1 tsp sugar = dirty as sin
    1-lb rustic boule of homemade white sourdough bread without 1 tsp of sugar = clean???
    Random white rice = clean

Just so you're up to speed, here is the starter list of "clean" definitions collected by @diannethegeek :

Nothing but minimally processed foods.
    Absolutely no processed foods.
    Shop only the outside of the grocery store.
    Nothing out of a box, jar, or can.
    Only food that's not in a box or hermetically sealed bag, or from e.g. McDonald's.
    No take-out or junk food at all.
    Nothing at all with a barcode.
    Nothing with more than 5 ingredients.
    Nothing with more than 4 ingredients.
    Nothing with more than 3 ingredients.
    Nothing with more than 1 ingredient.
    No added preservatives.
    No added chemicals.
    No chemicals, preservatives, etc. at all.
    No ingredients that you can't pronounce.
    No ingredients that sound like they came out of a chemistry book.
    Nothing that is processed and comes in a package or wrapper, or has any ingredient that sounds scientific.
    Don't eat products that have a TV commercial.
    Don't eat foods that have a mascot.
    If it grows or had a mother, it is ok to eat it.
    Don't eat products that have a longer shelf life than you do.
    Eat "food" and not "food-like substances."
    No added sugar.
    No added refined sugar.
    Swap white sugar for brown.
    No "white" foods.
    Nothing but lean meats, fruits, and vegetables.
    Nothing but lean meats, fruits, vegetables, and beans.
    A plant-based whole food diet.
    Eat foods as close to their natural state as POSSIBLE, and little to no processed food.
    Only meat from grass-fed animals and free-range chickens.
    Only pesticide-free foods.
    Nothing that causes your body bloat or inflammation.
    No trigger foods, nothing from fast food chains, nothing in the junk food aisles, and no high gmo foods.
    No red meat, no sweets, no pasta, no alcohol, no bread, no soda, nothing but fresh fruits and vegetables, complex carbohydrates and lean proteins.
    Eat a plant based diet consisting of whole plant foods.
    No bad carbs and processed foods.
    Anything that makes a better choice.
    Not cheating on whatever diet you are on.
    Any food that doesn't make it difficult to hit your macro/micro targets.
    Clean eating means eating optimally.

If you have definitions to add, you can do so here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10337480/what-is-clean-eating/p1

Is craft beer out of question though? In all seriousness, it has some nutrition in it and well... I love a few now and then.

Craft beer is always acceptable.

What's with everyone adding the word "craft" in front of beer these days?? Is this a new trendy thing? It's beer, beer is beer!
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options

I just made several sourdough loaves with no sugar, just flour, water and salt, although I would normally add 1 tsp per 1-lb loaf. Is that clean? If so, I will add that to our definition of clean foods:

1-lb rustic boule of homemade white sourdough bread with 1 tsp sugar = dirty as sin
    1-lb rustic boule of homemade white sourdough bread without 1 tsp of sugar = clean???

Just so you're up to speed, here is the starter list of "clean" definitions collected by @diannethegeek :

Only food that's not in a box or hermetically sealed bag, or from e.g. McDonald's.
    No added preservatives.
    No added chemicals.
    Nothing that is processed and comes in a package or wrapper, or has any ingredient that sounds scientific.
    No added sugar.
    No added refined sugar.
    No "white" foods.
    Eat foods as close to their natural state as POSSIBLE, and little to no processed food.
    No trigger foods, nothing from fast food chains, nothing in the junk food aisles, and no high gmo foods.
    No red meat, no sweets, no pasta, no alcohol, no bread, no soda, nothing but fresh fruits and vegetables, complex carbohydrates and lean proteins.

If you have definitions to add, you can do so here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10337480/what-is-clean-eating/p1

Is craft beer out of question though? In all seriousness, it has some nutrition in it and well... I love a few now and then.

What's with everyone adding the word "craft" in front of beer these days?? Is this a new trendy thing? It's beer, beer is beer!

Just more tasty options in the US. A couple of decades ago, all that was commonly available was a handful of lagers from AB or Miller, and they all tasted pretty much the same. If you wanted something that tasted different, you would have to go to a specialty store to find imports. Now my local grocery store looks like this:
    ftisxixxsf0x.jpg
    It has probably several hundred full-flavored small brewery options, all with very unique qualities. Even tiny gas station convenience stores in the area will typically have at least a dozen locally brewed options.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    richln wrote: »

No added preservatives.
    No added chemicals.
    No added sugar.
    No added refined sugar.
    No "white" foods.

Just more tasty options in the US. A couple of decades ago, all that was commonly available was a handful of lagers from AB or Miller, and they all tasted pretty much the same. If you wanted something that tasted different, you would have to go to a specialty store to find imports. Now my local grocery store looks like this:
    ftisxixxsf0x.jpg
    It has probably several hundred full-flavored small brewery options, all with very unique qualities. Even tiny gas station convenience stores in the area will typically have at least a dozen locally brewed options.

Gotta love wegmans.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

No added preservatives.
    No added chemicals.
    No added sugar.
    No added refined sugar.
    No "white" foods.

It's a hipster thing. You're a cretin unless you drink "craft" beer.

Nope, the hipsters are drinking PBR!
    4ottzvjnmw2i.jpg
  • Lostinblac
    Lostinblac Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    It is doable but enjoyable would proberly stop when you get past 3000 lol good luck to you mate :D
  • KatzeDerNacht22
    KatzeDerNacht22 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    It's not a hipster thing, it's not the same to drink hum Corona, let's say that than to drink some local brewery IPA. both are fine! I just prefer the latter cos taste .
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    richln wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Just so you're up to speed, here is the starter list of "clean" definitions collected by diannethegeek :

No added preservatives.
    No added chemicals.
    No added sugar.
    No added refined sugar.
    No "white" foods.

It's a hipster thing. You're a cretin unless you drink "craft" beer.

Nope, the hipsters are drinking PBR!
    4ottzvjnmw2i.jpg

Would you all mind clipping my tag from the quote stream here? As amusing as PBR-beard is, I'm not sure I need notifications for every post in this thread.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,813 Member
    Options
    Don't eat foods that have a mascot?

Nobody remembers...

tony-the-tiger.jpg
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »
    Don't eat foods that have a mascot?

Nobody remembers...

tony-the-tiger.jpg

Oh yeah- how could I forget!
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,813 Member
    Options
    @psuLemon I didn't want to scare the readers away ;-)
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I'm always way too late to these insane threads.

In for sugar!