Stomach issues with Halo Top "ice cream"

Options

Replies

• ChelleDee07
    ChelleDee07 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I also have IBS, but the only time Halo Top has bothered me is when I ate 3/4 of the container once. If I eat only 2 servings or less... I'm good.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Have you tried making the frozen banana "ice cream"? It's pretty good, and made of food. It does have calories, but it also has nutritional value. It's better if you add some cocoa and/or peanut butter.
  • kfricky
    kfricky Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I save up 100 calories every evening for a frozen greek yogurt bar. Yasso has several flavors, but salted caramel is my favorite. Tastes exactly like ice cream.
  • AvsFreak
    AvsFreak Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Definitely the sweetener they use. I had the same problem with many different kinds of protein powders. Took a while to find some that didn't make me feel like I had a basketball in my stomach. Hurt for hours.
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Yea it's the sweetener. Some sweeteners have that effect on my stomach, others do not. I have no problem eating halo top - BUT halo top cookie dough did give me mild discomfort when I ate the entire thing for a cheat meal - none of the other halo top flavors did (and I've had em all :smile: ). I can have stevia, aspartame (small doses), erythritol (for the most part), but sucralose tears my stomach to shreds in the way you described. Unfortunate because I really do think halotop is the best tasting of all the "frozen dessert" varieties!

WEIRD! The cookie dough made my stomach hurt bad also and I only had half the carton. My stomach seems to be fine with the other flavors though!
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Some people have problems with the erythritol and the prebiotic fiber. I found that it's best for people to start with a smaller serving for a couple of days and work their way up to eating a whole pint at a time so that their systems get a chance to adjust.

I think it's pretty funny, actually -- The stuff that's digestible enough (and cheap enough) to eat a whole pint in one sitting is too unhealthy to actually eat a whole pint of in one sitting, while the stuff that's healthy enough to eat all at once is too expensive and upsets some people's stomachs too much for them to actually be able to do it.
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Yea it's the sweetener. Some sweeteners have that effect on my stomach, others do not. I have no problem eating halo top - BUT halo top cookie dough did give me mild discomfort when I ate the entire thing for a cheat meal - none of the other halo top flavors did (and I've had em all :smile: ). I can have stevia, aspartame (small doses), erythritol (for the most part), but sucralose tears my stomach to shreds in the way you described. Unfortunate because I really do think halotop is the best tasting of all the "frozen dessert" varieties!

WEIRD! The cookie dough made my stomach hurt bad also and I only had half the carton. My stomach seems to be fine with the other flavors though!

That IS weird! To be honest of all the flavors I tried (all of them), I felt that the cookie dough had a very "chemical" taste. I thought it would taste the best because it had the higher calories but my first spoonful I thought "woah artificial" ...but ate it anyway because it was so darn expensive!

Last night I just had a couple spoonfuls so it didnt hurt my stomach I'm going to finish it (only spoonfuls at a time though) just because it's expensive too haha
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    keharty wrote: »
    Anyone else have problems with stomach cramps with Halo Top? I was a big fan of Arctic Zero but kept hearing how good the Halo Top was. I finally found it locally and have tried it a few times. If I have any more than a couple spoonfuls I develop very painful stomach/intestinal cramps that last for several hours. I'm assuming its the erythritol? Definitely not worth eating again.

Nope. I have eaten as much as a half-pint at a time, no issues at all.
  • easystreetgm
    easystreetgm Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Happened to me also , took me a few times to figure it out . Really bad stomach cramps , and like you said , pooping razor blades .
  • cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Yikes. I usually eat frozen bananas if I want ice cream. I hope you feel better soon!
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    lol I was wondering if this happened to anyone else!!

If I eat a couple bites at a time nothing happens (which is how I usually eat ice cream), but twice I had a lot at once (1/2 tub=terrible stomach cramps-temporary, 1 tub= awful bloating and gas-all night long). Now I just stick with a bite or two haha... apparently it takes me twice to learn my lesson.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    keharty wrote: »
    Anyone else have problems with stomach cramps with Halo Top? I was a big fan of Arctic Zero but kept hearing how good the Halo Top was. I finally found it locally and have tried it a few times. If I have any more than a couple spoonfuls I develop very painful stomach/intestinal cramps that last for several hours. I'm assuming its the erythritol? Definitely not worth eating again.
    As mentioned, it's the sweetener that you likely have an issue with.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Happened to me also , took me a few times to figure it out . Really bad stomach cramps , and like you said , pooping razor blades .

jeez.... where can I find this halo top?

I hope you're okay now.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I love Arctic Zero. I have 2 in the freezer. It's almost like frozen pudding and so many less calories than Halo. There's also "Enlightenment" ice cream bars. The "hot cocoa" flavor is awesome.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Nah. I can eat a ton of it.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I love Arctic Zero. I have 2 in the freezer. It's almost like frozen pudding and so many less calories than Halo. There's also "Enlightenment" ice cream bars. The "hot cocoa" flavor is awesome.

Tastes like frozen sadness to me.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Tastes like frozen sadness to me.

DItto - that's almost exactly how I describe Arctic Zero - "tastes like the frozen tears of human sadness". :D
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Second on the Yasso bars. Delicious!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Second on the Yasso bars. Delicious!

Those tasted like frozen sadness to me. Except the fudge bars.