Stomach issues with Halo Top "ice cream"

Options
Anyone else have problems with stomach cramps with Halo Top? I was a big fan of Arctic Zero but kept hearing how good the Halo Top was. I finally found it locally and have tried it a few times. If I have any more than a couple spoonfuls I develop very painful stomach/intestinal cramps that last for several hours. I'm assuming its the erythritol? Definitely not worth eating again.

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Yes that would more than likely be the sugar alcohols
  • FLBeachluvr
    FLBeachluvr Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I won't be making that mistake again. Literally sitting here at work feeling like I've got razor blades in my gut.
  • mjaquay21
    mjaquay21 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    sugar alcohols and fiber.... SO MUCH FIBER i don't eat it any more because i felt so horrible
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    mjaquay21 wrote: »
    sugar alcohols and fiber.... SO MUCH FIBER i don't eat it any more because i felt so horrible

This^

What is "prebiotic fiber?" If it's chicory root or inulin......that's your problem.

I don't eat FiberOne bars for the same reason. Original FiberOne cereal is fine, but the bars give me stomach pain.
  • FLBeachluvr
    Options
    I remember trying the Fiber One bars years ago and referred to them as Fiber One fart bars. My current issue isn't gas but horrible stomach pains, sharp and coming in waves. The cramping is causing nausea too. Never again!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    It is the sugar alcohols. I love Halo Top and eat it regularly. If I limit myself to one or two servings (half a pint at most), it doesn't bother or affect me. If I eat the entire pint, it bothers my stomach and I have....issues....shortly thereafter.
  • FLBeachluvr
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    It is the sugar alcohols. I love Halo Top and eat it regularly. If I limit myself to one or two servings (half a pint at most), it doesn't bother or affect me. If I eat the entire pint, it bothers my stomach and I have....issues....shortly thereafter.

I only had half a pint :'( I kind of had some stomach pains during the night but it hit hard this morning just as I was leaving for work. In doing some research I read that many people have issues once the erythritol has been digested. Seems to fit what happened to me. Guess I'll find another after dinner treat.

• FLBeachluvr
    Options
    I've been okay with Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches but they are a hefty 150 calories each. I used to eat the Arctic Zero "ice cream" but I'm afraid to try that again. Time to find another treat.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    keharty wrote: »
    I've been okay with Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches but they are a hefty 150 calories each. I used to eat the Arctic Zero "ice cream" but I'm afraid to try that again. Time to find another treat.

I love skinny cow ICS. I dont think 150 cals is much. I just fit it in my calorie count. Halo doesnt taste sweet to me for some reason.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Sugar alcohols are tricky. I bought Chapman's lactose free ice cream but didn't notice the no sugar added and that it had sugar alcohols. Thought I was eating a safe food lol
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Anyone else have problems with stomach cramps with Halo Top? I was a big fan of Arctic Zero but kept hearing how good the Halo Top was. I finally found it locally and have tried it a few times. If I have any more than a couple spoonfuls I develop very painful stomach/intestinal cramps that last for several hours. I'm assuming its the erythritol? Definitely not worth eating again.

I've eaten a half a container, at a time. No after-effects whatsoever, for me.
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I experience the exact same problem with sugar alcohols. I won't buy them, not worth it.

Fiber One bars with chicory root are pretty disturbing too. Inulin seems less violent somehow. I guess my body wants no added fiber? Definitely no on the erithrytol.
  • jonjaxmom
    jonjaxmom Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I eat it from time to time, and haven't really noticed a problem. But I am a Type 1 diabetic and stomach issues are fairly routine for me. Could be from the Halo Top, or could just be nerve damage in my intestines, both would feel the same. But this is one of the few "dessert substitutes" out there that do not affect my blood sugars and the higher protein content makes it a nice alternative after a good workout. But like everything, moderation is probably the key.
  • sunnysunny88
    sunnysunny88 Posts: 64 Member
    Options

Ive not tried this ice cream but we have sugar free donuts in Aus sweetened with erythritol and stevia and I immediately felt horrible after eating it and had nausea and vomiting as well as terrible stomach pains. I've been using stevia for ages and has always been fine so it must be the erythritol. Not everyone reacts like this, I guess we are just the unlucky ones. I was so excited when Halo top announced they were coming to Australia, so devastated that I can't eat them.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Arctic zero has regular cane sugar so I'm shocked people are having issues with that? i have issues with a lot of fake sugar, but none of that is in the arctic zero...i guess maybe it has more fiber?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    No stomach cramps here but it gives me horrible diarrhea. No more for me :(
  • mhwitt74
    mhwitt74 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    As a person with IBS I have found out the hard way that erythritol gives me stomach cramps. I see that others have problems with Stevia as well. Stevia is a 0 calorie natural sweetener and I have no problems with that as far as stomach issues go. Lots of people get Stevia mixed up. Look at the labels and make sure it is natural Stevia and not a compound of it.