Any keto vegans out there?

Options
It's a bit niche, I know, but is anyone a keto vegan?

I'm finding it really difficult staying below my daily net carb limit (25g) and was wondering if anyone had any insight into how to stay below it? I'm not being silly and eating bananas and other obviously high carb fruits/veg/etc. and yet I'm still managing to go over (some days by a fair amount) on nuts and soya products! (It doesn't help that I'm allergic to avocado so have to substitute a fair bit...)

Any help anyone can provide would be incredible :D thank you!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I don't know how active it is, but there's a subreddit for that: r/ketovegan, I think.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    May I ask why you're doing keto as a vegan? That seems unnecessarily restrictive.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    It's for virtue signaling, nothing else.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    alyssa0061 wrote: »
    May I ask why you're doing keto as a vegan? That seems unnecessarily restrictive.

Cosigned. Absent certain medical conditions, carbs are not the enemy.
  • alyssa0061
    Options

Someone might be vegan for ethical reasons and have health issues that could be helped with keto. Yes, it would be restrictive, but that doesn't mean that everyone who does it is "virtue signaling."

I agree. I'm genuinely curious. I can't think of anything that would make both of those things medically necessary but I certainly don't know everything. I'm also curious if someone's ethical conviction combined with a medical need is strong enough to support such a restrictive diet.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Try the Low Carber Daily group. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group There are a few vegetarian keto'ers in there. I know we have had vegans too but I don't think there is now. I know they did find keto difficult on a vegan diet. I think they eventually went to a LCHF, barely ketogenic diet.

I beleieve they used a lot of MCT's (coconut oil) because MCTs convert so readily to ketones, even in a higher carb diet. Fat bombs are an easy treat. Lots of nuts. I think they used a protein powder too. I think they timed their larger and carbier meals around exercise in order to make it work.

I don't believe they were able to stick to the more common 20-30 g of carbs per day. I believe they ended up over 50g - which should work for younger, active and metabolically healthy people to still be in ketosis.

Good luck!
  • alyssa0061
    Options

Someone might be vegan for ethical reasons and have health issues that could be helped with keto. Yes, it would be restrictive, but that doesn't mean that everyone who does it is "virtue signaling."

I agree. I'm genuinely curious. I can't think of anything that would make both of those things medically necessary but I certainly don't know everything. I'm also curious if someone's ethical conviction combined with a medical need is strong enough to support such a restrictive diet.

I'm not arguing that veganism is medically necessary -- I don't know if there are any cases where it is. Veganism is an ethical position.

I'm vegan and I can tell you 100% that if I had a medical condition that would be improved by going keto, I would keep being vegan. My ethics aren't only for situations where it is easy, I'm guessing that yours aren't either. If you can understand why people would do difficult or challenging things unrelated to animals for ethical reasons, you can understand why someone would try vegan keto. You may not *agree* that animals merit such concern, but the human desire to live in a way consistent with our ethics should be understandable to just about everyone.

I appreciate that. I admire that. That's why I was expressing genuine curiosity when asking.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I'm not arguing that veganism is medically necessary -- I don't know if there are any cases where it is. Veganism is an ethical position.

I'm vegan and I can tell you 100% that if I had a medical condition that would be improved by going keto, I would keep being vegan. My ethics aren't only for situations where it is easy, I'm guessing that yours aren't either. If you can understand why people would do difficult or challenging things unrelated to animals for ethical reasons, you can understand why someone would try vegan keto. You may not *agree* that animals merit such concern, but the human desire to live in a way consistent with our ethics should be understandable to just about everyone.

I appreciate that. I admire that. That's why I was expressing genuine curiosity when asking.

I appreciate you asking -- anytime people are curious about veganism I like to try to provide some context. :)
  • jmateer
    jmateer Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm able to stay below 50net carbs, but usually fall in the 25-35 net carb range.

I do Vega Sport protein powder
    Salads with lots of nuts and seeds
    Soup with coconut milk
    "Oatmeal" with chia seeds, hemp hearts and flax soaked in coconut or almond milk (coconut if I need more fat)
    I've found some lower carb fake cheeses in my grocery store that I'll use sometimes...
    Tofu/Tempe/Seitan dinners

There are more options than you think if you're willing to look beyond bacon.... And animals don't need to be harmed!
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I am lowercarb/higher fat + IF. I am typically an omnivore. My youngest has quickly gone from vegetarian to vegan. She is challenging me to do same. Although I am not luddite when it comes to food combining to get protein etc, (ex. legumes+grains), but keto kinds goes against the grains :( so I need to stalk other keto vegans for ideas to maintain protein macros.

I was a vegetarian and whole foods/cook from scratch in college, for economic reasons, so I have basic skills.

Today, the meat & poultry & eggs I eat is typically 3-6oz/day and is grass fed, free range, and much is locally raised on true family farms. I favor raw milk cheeses and our milk comes minimally pasturized not homogenized delivered in glass bottles from local family farm that grows their hay for their cows. Yet, hose years of being a vegetarian is with me still -happily- in the central place veggies, tubers, legumes, nuts, and seeds have in my diet. I did have to drastically thin-out the whole grains to be a weekly instead of a daily food, and my health is better for it.

The new skills I seek are not to lean on vegan "cheese" or vegan "eggs" and definitely not protein powder, as these things do not conform to my whole food values. I seek to eat happily without dairy, flesh, or eggs. My ultimate aim is to be able meet my macros when I am having vegan days, which I currently intend to incorporate 3-4dy/wk.