Beginner with knee issues... seeking advice please! :)

Options
Hello all!

I am just starting out on my journey to getting healthy and fit. I gained a good amount with my pregnancy, but now my son is 3 months old. My csection has healed to the point where I am cleared to work out. I have lost about 2.6lbs so far just by changing my diet and tracking what goes into my system. In total I would like to lose 75lbs to put me at 150lbs (5'7").

My issues with exercise lies in the fact that I have patellofemoral pain syndrome in my knees and it is VERY painful to bend my knees past about 45* and bear weight. So things like squats, lunges etc are just out of the question.

Any advice on beginner exercises that I could do at home? I am unable to get to a gym at this time.

Thank you in advance!

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    If you can walk, do lots of it. Indoors, try Leslie Sansone's walking videos on Youtube.

For strength training, try the Nerd Fitness beginner's workout, but replace the leg exercises with wall sits and Romanian deadlifts. Check Youtube for instructions on those.

Do you know the specific cause of your PPS?
  • HockeyWifey
    HockeyWifey Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Well I injured myself September 2014 when I was working out too hard. I tore a ligament in my knee. I was able to start working out again after it healed.. then I got pregnant in January 2015 and gained 60 lbs. Now I have this chronic pain in my knee. I can't even go up and down stairs properly without pain. I am hoping losing weight will help so that is why I am making some changes.
  • cguydo
    cguydo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hockeywifey- we should be friends! I suffer from a long term injury as well in my achilles tendon. I have the same issues and try to get some cardio in via an indoor exercise bike. A lot of times I can't take a whole lot of resistance. I also do some yoga videos from youtube.
  • cogirljb
    cogirljb Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Walking or riding a bike and yes losing weight and get stronger will definitely help!!! I have a very bad knee that always gives me issues, but the stronger I get the less pain I have, just got to stick with it!!!
  • kiki32782
    kiki32782 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    There are some great exercises if you google patellofemoral exercises you should be able to find them. Also good to make sure you are doing your exercises properly and wearing the right shoes :)
  • RefocusedPowerhouse
    Options
    Start with YouTube---Find your inspiration---Awareness/Attitude changers are everywhere and that's where it starts...It's daily Power Moves that will make all the difference---celebrate the journey my friend---its a good one!
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Hello all!

I am just starting out on my journey to getting healthy and fit. I gained a good amount with my pregnancy, but now my son is 3 months old. My csection has healed to the point where I am cleared to work out. I have lost about 2.6lbs so far just by changing my diet and tracking what goes into my system. In total I would like to lose 75lbs to put me at 150lbs (5'7").

My issues with exercise lies in the fact that I have patellofemoral pain syndrome in my knees and it is VERY painful to bend my knees past about 45* and bear weight. So things like squats, lunges etc are just out of the question.

Any advice on beginner exercises that I could do at home? I am unable to get to a gym at this time.

Thank you in advance!

If my experience is any indication, as you lose more and more of that weight, your knees should feel a lot better. After I dropped the first 30 or so, it was like I had new knees. At that point, as an experiment, I picked up 30 lbs of weights and tried to walk up and down the stairs. The pain of old returned.

I didn't have your injury, but I did have torn cartilage repaired, developing arthritis, and after the surgery to fix the cartilage, the surgeon reminded me that if I didn't address my weight very soon, the whole knee was going to need to be replaced.

I couldn't run (still can't due to the knee), so I walked ... and walked ... and walked. Later I got onto a stride machine (sort of like an elliptical machine, but it gives more of a simulation of running, without the jarring of actually running), and eventually I did start doing squats ... just body weight.

Full story here ... http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10021880/what-a-difference-a-year-makes/p1 ... with all the gory details.

Good luck to you. I hope you succeed and make your knees much happier!
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    PS - There are tons of references across the web for "body weight exercises". Using yourself, stairs, chairs and not much else, you can do lots. If you want to spring for it, a set of dumbbells, will give you further options.
  • HockeyWifey
    HockeyWifey Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I am going to check into some of the exercises recommended and see if I can throw a workout plan together. I am really motivated to get my body healthy for my little boy :)
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Walking is always a fantastic, low impact form of exercise. I'm not sure if doing a spin class would aggravate your knee or not. It might b/c of the rotation the leg does. But if you decide to give it a try, just stay sitting in the saddle. Don't do any of the jumps or anything like that.

Can you try out a boxing gym? It's a nice form of cardio, and I'm sure the instructor can modify it so you wouldn't have to do any kicks if that class calls for it.

How about swimming? That's a good low impact form of exercise.

You could also try pole dancing. It's a wonderful low impact form of cardio and strength training. In the beginning nothing you would do should cause any flair ups with your knee. But tell the instructor about your injury and they should be able to give you a modified version/replacement of the move. Just throwing that out there, lol.
  • HeatherCunningham21
    Options
    I just done rehab for knee surgery, the most comfortable for me was low resistance biking. You don't need a lot of pressure on your knees but you can get your heart rate up.
  • courtniekrebs
    courtniekrebs Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I've been through 9 knee surgeries on my left knee so I understand your concern... swimming is great to. I started with that and have worked up to kickboxing and elliptical isn't too hard either. Good luck :) I had to start slow and listen to my body.
  • dexters_dexterity
    dexters_dexterity Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I asked the same question once and somebody told me about winsor Pilates
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Have you looked into aqua classes, swimming, pilates, chair exercises or, if your knee can handle it, recumbent bike? This bike has you extending your knee but not bending it too much (depending how it's set up) and is not weight bearing at all.

If you can't go to the gym because you need to stay with the baby and don't enjoy home exercises that aren't hard on the knees, it's okay to not exercise for now. Weight loss is ultimately about eating fewer calories than your body burns, with or without exercise, and having 75 lbs to lose you would likely have a reasonable calorie budget even without exercise. Once you are lighter, you may find yourself able to introduce more activity in the later phases of weight loss.

Ultimately, don't push yourself beyond what your body can handle. I have chronic back pain due to a severe injury and I have to be very aware of certain kinds of pain, stopping immediately when I experience them. I know if I don't, I'm in for a few weeks in bed. When I first started I could barely walk for 5-10 minutes at a time, so that was all I did for the first few months and I lost weight just fine. I later started having multiple daily walking sessions of 10 minutes, and after a good while and a good amount of weight lost, I became capable of exercising properly, including running. It's okay to introduce exercise very slowly. Not exercising will not affect your weight loss negatively if you have a good handle on your calories.