WHY are some people jerks on mfp? (philosophically...)

Options

Replies

• ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    *girds self
    Let the snarky flow from you. Let it be free.

Both of you crack me up :laugh:
  • PhillyTD
    PhillyTD Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    cowbelljr1.jpg
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    I belong to a lot of animal groups. Wanna see mean posts? Go look at a debate on dog food! I left one group due to so many people saying horrible things about rescue groups using pedigree. It's not a great food and I don't use it but I probably would if had 20 dogs to feed. Then they get into all the details and most don't understand how to read the ingredients anyway.

As with anything, including health and weight loss, for any study that says one thing there will be another that says the opposite. If I believed every study I read I would be arguing with myself all the time. lol.
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Wow! That is a bit ridiculous, don't ya think? Everyone has a tendency to be a jerk sometimes.

For example:

You calling out people you don't know for being jerks because they responded to your question.

Or you creating a post that is obviously going to create drama.

I'm sure you aren't this jerk-y all the time so I forgive you.

Wait...I'm not calling anyone out? I have been browsing forums this morning and the question arose in my head.

Also I'm not *trying* to create drama...I am genuinely wondering. Promise.

So how exactly weren't you calling out PapaverSomniferum with this:

because they're F^cking HUNGRY

Standard MFP Jerk Response: If you're so hungry, you obviously need more protein in your diet. It's the ONLY way to lose weight.

I was trying to be sarcastic....

And so was she... don't get what the problem is here.

The point is that we each can be perceived as a jerk at any time. That doesn't mean its fair or polite to call anyone names for any reason.

There wasn't a problem. You thought I was calling her out, and I'm explaining how I believe you misunderstood. :)
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    WHY are some people lazy complainers on mfp? (philosophically...)

I'm actually wondering. I'm not questioning their existence, or crying about some person who complained that I was being mean because I was trying to get her up off her couch ...I'm just wondering...Why do ya'll think there are so many?

Is there some kind of gene that we all have that makes people on MFP more likely to be overly passive whiners?....Are they all scared to take control because they use excuses obsessively? Are the ones of us who *don't* use excuses obsessively but use MFP as a general tool but then get a really long badly structured sentence that lost me?

I'M WONDERING! Gimme your theories!

If you took a massive slice of humanity - millions on this site right? And only look for the ones that are behaving a certain way - and you see 75 of them?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

75/1,000,000

yeah - there are way too many mean people on this site.

I can't tell if you're sarcastic or not with your last statement--whether you agree with me or not. If you do agree, ha ha. And sorry about my long sentence....If you don't, I honestly think its more than 75. But okay :)

OP don't respond to these posts--the poster is being a jerk. On purpose--gets off on it.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    this is a small sampling of people in the world and look how many jerks are around us....they're everywhere. Lol
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall. You need me on that wall.
  • serena569
    serena569 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    For instance,

Someone posts a thread asking if they overreacted to something. Majority of people reply saying “yes, you overreacted big time”. Original poster gets all defensive and freaks out and starts telling people they are mean and don’t understand his/her situation.

Or, more fitness related, an obese person posts a photo asking if people think they need to lose some weight. Fitness minded people here on a fitness board reply that yes, they do need to lose some weight. Original poster gets their feelings hurt and says everyone is mean and hating on them because of their weight.

Don’t ask questions in a public forum if you don’t want honest answers from a variety of opinions.

You got sucked into that thread too?
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Wow! That is a bit ridiculous, don't ya think? Everyone has a tendency to be a jerk sometimes.

For example:

You calling out people you don't know for being jerks because they responded to your question.

Wait...I'm not calling anyone out? I have been browsing forums this morning and the question arose in my head.

Standard MFP Jerk Response: If you're so hungry, you obviously need more protein in your diet. It's the ONLY way to lose weight.

The point is that we each can be perceived as a jerk at any time. That doesn't mean its fair or polite to call anyone names for any reason.

You're just looking for a fight. The two of them were being snarky to each other and you're trying to start something.
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    cowbelljr1.jpg

haha. made me giggle. i remember that! he used to give me the creeps til i saw him doing comedy.
  • katheern
    katheern Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm actually wondering. I'm not questioning their existence, or crying about some jerk who bullied me...I'm just wondering...Why do ya'll think there are so many?

Is there some kind of gene that we all have that makes people on MFP more likely to be overly assertive DBs?....Are we all control freaks because we count calories obsessively? Are the ones of us who *don't* count calories obsessively but use MFP as a general tool but then get riled up to be lumped into the same category as the rest of us just defensive naturally?

I'M WONDERING! Gimme your theories!

Some people don't want others to succeed because it points out their own shortcomings. I also bet all these people are very nice in person, but being anonymous on the internet makes it very easy to show your true colors.
  • sizzle92
    sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Usually I'm a jerk because I need to get laid.

That being said, I am really never ever a jerk. :)
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I do it to vent. People get sooo uptight when I throw kitties into traffic. This is all I have left really.
  • curtnrod
    curtnrod Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Colbertpopcorn.gif
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    i like beef jerky.

I like Jerk Chicken.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

For example:

There wasn't a problem. You thought I was calling her out, and I'm explaining how I believe you misunderstood. :)

I'm just going to walk away at this point...

Apparently, you just want to gloss over my views and just wag your finger at all the "jerks" on MFP rather than having a real discussion on your topic.
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    facepalm.jpg
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Options

Some people don't want others to succeed because it points out their own shortcomings. I also bet all these people are very nice in person, but being anonymous on the internet makes it very easy to show your true colors.

That's an interesting opinion...It would definitely explain why every comment forum on any news site is filled with hateful comments...

Do you really think people don't want others to succeed? I've never considered that before...
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I do it to vent. People get sooo uptight when I throw kitties into traffic. This is all I have left really.

Hoss!!!!!
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Anonymity and hiding behind a computer screen makes it easier for people to randomly spout information or feelings without thinking. Critical feedback and honesty are different than what I see on the boards a lot ... there seems to be a lack of original thought and critical thinking.

However, without actual research, I wonder if it's just a loud minority while the respectful majority stay out of the bickering more often.

But anyway ... hiding behind the curtain ("profile or not") is a lot easier to let loose on people than sitting across from someone at a coffee house. Once you are looking at someone in the eye, you realize one important factor ... they are a human being just like you.

We all have a story ...