Options
124»

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Zoey2715 wrote: »
    I don't know if Diet Coke makes you gain weight, but I am sure the chemicals it has does not help you in losing weight. With a lot of sodas (even diet) there is a fair amount of sodium that can cause bloat and water retention. Plus, the artificial sweeteners in diet sodas and other "sugar free" foods teaches your body and your mind to crave "sweet" stuff. I was addicted to Sweet-n-Low and why not -- it is four times as sweet as normal sugar! Unfortunately, it caused my insulin (the fat storage hormone) to spike higher and longer than the real white table sugar. Today I only use sugar cubes in my coffee -- one cube per cup -- and it has helped me reduce my sugar cravings immensely! I am of the opinion that for your long term health, it is better to train your body and mind to want less sweet stuff by eliminating the consumption of ALL artificial sweeteners and stick with real sugar (or honey) if you must add sweetness to your drink.

A can of Diet Coke has about the same amount of sodium as tap water.

I've never understood this argument...

It's just an old wives' tale repeated over and over on scaremongering sites, and people latch onto it and parrot it without bothering to do any research to confirm it first. It pops up in virtually every diet soda thread here.

You can count on every single diet soda thread ever to have two topics come up:

1) It's high in sodium.

2) Aspartame is TEH POIZONZZZZ, OMGZZZZZ!!!1!!1!!
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    According to the commercials I believe snickers are a superfood so Ima just eat that

Solid plan.
  • mskimee
    mskimee Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    According to the commercials I believe snickers are a superfood so Ima just eat that

Solid plan.

Definitely a super food!!
  • AFGP11
    AFGP11 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I drink one diet soda a day and I have lost steadily both this time and in the past. I think people assume diet soda makes you fat because fatter people are always drinking it thinking they can have an extra burger if they go for the diet soda. I don't even think a lot of people actually do that, but it's a funny stereotype that touches on many of the silly things people believe about weight loss that aren't true.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,996 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I don't know if Diet Coke makes you gain weight, but I am sure the chemicals it has does not help you in losing weight. With a lot of sodas (even diet) there is a fair amount of sodium that can cause bloat and water retention. Plus, the artificial sweeteners in diet sodas and other "sugar free" foods teaches your body and your mind to crave "sweet" stuff. I was addicted to Sweet-n-Low and why not -- it is four times as sweet as normal sugar! Unfortunately, it caused my insulin (the fat storage hormone) to spike higher and longer than the real white table sugar. Today I only use sugar cubes in my coffee -- one cube per cup -- and it has helped me reduce my sugar cravings immensely! I am of the opinion that for your long term health, it is better to train your body and mind to want less sweet stuff by eliminating the consumption of ALL artificial sweeteners and stick with real sugar (or honey) if you must add sweetness to your drink.

It's just an old wives' tale repeated over and over on scaremongering sites, and people latch onto it and parrot it without bothering to do any research to confirm it first. It pops up in virtually every diet soda thread here.

1) It's high in sodium.

Yes, always amazes me this sodium myth.

People don't have to do much research - just read nutrition label right there on the can and then compare to say, a bottle of water
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    AFGP11 wrote: »
    I drink one diet soda a day and I have lost steadily both this time and in the past. I think people assume diet soda makes you fat because fatter people are always drinking it thinking they can have an extra burger if they go for the diet soda. I don't even think a lot of people actually do that, but it's a funny stereotype that touches on many of the silly things people believe about weight loss that aren't true.

I was at the store one time checking out and I had a couple cases of Diet coke. The older lady behind me asked me why I drank diet soda when I wasn't overweight :p I couldn't resist and pulled up a 'before' picture on my phone and showed her lol.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

People often confuse correlation with causation. I could make a similar observation that I see a lot of fat people exercising, so exercise must make you fat.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options

People often confuse correlation with causation. I could make a similar observation that I see a lot of fat people exercising, so exercise must make you fat.

No, exercise makes you heavier because "muscle is heavier than fat". ;)
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    malgamin wrote: »
    I have heard this also but not for that reason. I have heard somewhere that the sweet taste of diet coke tricks your brain into producing certain chemicals within your stomach/ intestines to help process the sugar that is about to receive, however, when no sugar comes into your stomach the chemicals released act negatively in some way.

Personally I think it's all twaddle as I have a can at lunch and still manage to lose weight but even if it detrimental to you at least it's not full fat coke which would be far worse.

Others may know more than I

Unless those chemicals can create energy out of nothing, it can't make you gain weight.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

1) It's high in sodium.

Especially sad when all the research you'd have to do would be to pick up a can of Diet Coke and look for "sodium" in the nutrition info.
  • mskimee
    Options
    Also along the same lines: this morning in my gym, I heard the manager criticizing someone for eating pineapple, cos apparently the sugars in pineapple create belly fat. This was an actual conversation I stopped specifically to eavesdrop on. Pineapple gives you belly fat!!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    mskimee wrote: »
    Also along the same lines: this morning in my gym, I heard the manager criticizing someone for eating pineapple, cos apparently the sugars in pineapple create belly fat. This was an actual conversation I stopped specifically to eavesdrop on. Pineapple gives you belly fat!!

Well yeah... I mean, look how round they are in the middle. You are what you eat, amirite?
  • mskimee
    Options
    mskimee wrote: »

Well yeah... I mean, look how round they are in the middle. You are what you eat, amirite?

This makes sense now!! I eat loads of pineapple and first thing every morning my hair stick straight up in spikes!! It's the pineapple I tells ya!! The pineapple!!!!!
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Next January, you should show how much progress you've made here. Maybe she'll see the light and stop yo-yo'ing.