Salad Dressings - Help

Options
124»

Replies

• not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I am usually a ranch person, for that I go Bolthouse.
    Walmart carries Olive Garden Italian dressing in regular and a light version (taste seems just as good). Nice thing about Italian is that a little goes a long way! Light version is 30 calories for 2 Tbsp, and I usually get by with less than that.
  • _Emily85
    _Emily85 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    ktekc wrote: »
    _Emily85 wrote: »
    Agree with above - Bolthouse Farms greek yogurt and their balsamic is pretty low too.

I love ranch and the Bolthouse Farms at 45 cal for 2 tablespoons hands down is the best ranch dressing outside of the "real" thing. In fact I don't notice a difference anymore and I was a big ranch gal.

The ranch is the only one I have tried but I love it

try the salsa ranch. . its awesome.

I'll have to give it a try I want to try the Cesar one but wasn't sure if it was any good
  • tanya1052
    tanya1052 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    For something creamy that packs in a heap of flavour I use half a tub of Chobani Mezze dip - around 60 calories and 8gr of protein. Herbed Tzatziki, Salsa Roja and chilli lime are my favourites.
  • debbiemuz
    debbiemuz Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Litehouse Poppyseed is my go to right now. 2tblsp for 60 cals. And most times 1tblsp will do for a bowl of salad.
  • Wadeeee
    Wadeeee Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    To each their own, but I actually don't like the Bolthouse Farms yogurt dressings. I also DESPISE all of the Walden Farms dressings I've tried (as well as many of their other products). I personally enjoy all of the Ken's Steakhouse lite dressings...especially honey mustard (80 calories per two tbsp). I also just purchased Panera's balsamic vinegar dressing this evening (found it in the refrigerated section), and will let you know how it is tomorrow (also 80 calories per two tbsp). :)
  • JADE5924
    JADE5924 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    1 Avocado(mushed )
    Sqeeze in 1 large lime
    1tsp garlic & herb Mrs Dash
    1 tsp garlic Pwd
    1 tsp salt & pepper
    Stir all together
    Coat salad
  • deneenae
    deneenae Posts: 97 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I've started investing in really good tasting vinegars to use on my salads. I have a black cherry balsamic vinegar and a cranberry pear white balsamic vinegar. They're about 15 cals per tablespoon and i just sprinkle it on because the vinegars are so tasty and concentrated because they are aged for so long. They are sold in fancy shops and are usually around $10-15 a bottle. They last a while though and you can sprinkle it over roasted veggies too. It makes me excited for salads.

Also the light olive garden dressing is delicious and lower cal.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's makes this chile verde dip/sauce that is fantastic and zippy. A kind of thai peanut sauce is good too (also works well on meats). Sometimes I just use the oil or juice (depending on what I buy) of artichoke hearts.
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I mix 10 grams of Kraft Sweet & Tangy Honey Mustard and 10 grams of Bolthouse Farms Honey Mustard.

The Kraft is 110 cals per 32g and the Bolthouse Farms is 45 cals per 30g.

I found 20g of dressing was plenty for me and that makes it much less cals but a better flavor. I didn't like the Bolthouse Farms by itself, a little too vinegar-y tasting too me. I'm very picky about dressing though!
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I got hungry for something different today. I make most (over 80%) of our salad dressings. So I made a Catalina French today - there's about a bazillion recipes online for it. Very nice, very simple. Most of the recipes start with ketchup; I used tomato paste instead. Most recipes specify granular sugar; I used real grade A maple syrup. IMHO, this beats the bottled dressings, and there's an infinity of ways to continue improving on this first attempt.

That being said (being a do-it-yourselfer), I prefer some of the Litehouse flavors when I buy commercial products.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,130 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    If you invest in a high quality White Balsamic Vinegar, that is all you need. Don't bother with the watery grocery store ones. Go to a vinegar and oil purveyor and the vinegar is sweet, delicious and thick. You can literally drink it. I use the White Balsamic Vinegar from The Olive Cart. They are located in Southwest Michigan, but they are online, too: http://www.olivecart.com/
  • susbos
    susbos Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love the skinny girl balsamic- it is awesome.
  • lannerhag
    lannerhag Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    escalada22 wrote: »
    hmmm>>> i Will have to look for that. I am not sure our area carries that but they sound delish!

• lannerhag
    lannerhag Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you have a Wal-Mart, they have it! quote="lannerhag;38931986"]
    escalada22 wrote: »
    hmmm>>> i Will have to look for that. I am not sure our area carries that but they sound delish!

[/quote]

• thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Today I made a Mexican Salad with Romaine lettuce, black beans, corn, carrots, tomatoes, avacado, green onions and a few broken up blue corn chips. I just squeezed limes over it for a calorie free dressing, it was delicious.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Yes, sometimes a splash of citrus is really all you need to wake things up. I'll sprinkle some lemon juice or balsamic vinegar over a salad sometimes, and that's just perfect.

A few days ago, I sauteed some onions and other veggies. Reserved a little of the olive oil (yes, I'm bad, I cook with olive oil...). Added some vinegar and a bit of mustard and honey to the mix and that was my dressing. Came out very nice.
  • FoxyMars25
    FoxyMars25 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have just been using either fresh lemon juice or lime juice as a salad dressing. No need for the dressings with all the calories!
  • justforpresents90
    Options
    I always say go french.. not FRENCH DRESSING! haha the real stuff

1/8 teaspoon sea salt
    1 tablespoon sherry or red wine vinegar
    1/2 small shallot, peeled and minced (about 1 tablespoon)
    1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
    3T to 4T (45ml to 60ml) olive oil
    fresh herbs, if desired

Goes great with Butter Lettuce (A type of lettuce).

Also Salad is traditionally eaten after a main course followed by yogurt and expresso (Digestion aids).
  • alyssag2011
    alyssag2011 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    If you have an Aldi store around you then I recommend the fit & active brand of the light balsamic vinaigrette!