Finding the motivation to exercise

Options
My diet is going really well, I'm not hungry or struggling. Quite the opposite, I am really happy on my daily calorie allowance.

It's the exercise, I just cannot for the life of me get the motivation to exercise.
I have a few friends all going on a health kick but unfortunately none live close enough to me to exercise together - which would have been a huge help.

I think part of my problem is I am so unfit, for so long, it's just hard.
The one time I did recently do some exercise (last Friday I think), I did body weight exercises like squats, planks and lunges and I did feel good afterwards. The following day was another matter....just sore!

How do you guys get motivated? Any ideas?
Can exercise be fun so that you really want to do it?
My brain needs to tell myself it will get easier............

What if you're just plain lazy? Which I think is the case here, I work hard where my work and responsibilities are concerned and have learnt over the years to veg out in my limited spare time.

If I am entirely truthful with myself, I just don't want to exercise, but I know I need to if I am to get slim and fit - which is my end goal.

I think I have answered my own questions, I'm just bloody lazy :(

Replies

• _Justinian_
    _Justinian_ Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I hate running. It is the single-most boring activity known to man, in my opinion. Those pictures I see of people wearing their number bibs and talking about C25K, mud runner whatever it's called, and all that other nonsense is equally annoying. I mean, the treadmill was originally a torture device for crying out loud!

BUT! I love to listen to music and watch movies and YouTube videos. So one day I decided to simply walk very slowly on the treadmill while watching and listening to these things. I started out at 30 minutes. Now I can keep a quick pace going for up to 2 hours.

What I'm trying to say is, start slow and do what you can to make it an enjoyable experience. It doesn't have to be running or weightlifting. It can be a cardio class or some other fitness activity. Allow your body time to get used to it. As you improve, you may surprise yourself and actually seek out more intense forms of exercise.
  • angelaypolite
    angelaypolite Posts: 63 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I totally understand what you are going through. I don't like to exercise either. It is very hard to keep the motivation going, especially when you feel sore, or just don't want to make the effort.

My advice is to think of exercise as an investment to your future health. Yes, it's hard, yes, we can think of other things we'd rather do, but if you want to be your healthiest self, you need to invest some time to exercise.
    For me, I tend to overthink alot, which then I decide to skip a day, thinking I'll start again tomorrow. But like the saying says, "tomorrow never comes". Then before you know it, I feel lousy and unmotivated.

So what I do is NOT THINK about it, JUST GO and do it. Make it a habit. A few weeks ago, I'd never thought I'd wake up extra early in morning to get my workout in. I loved my bed too much (LOL). But now I just set my clock, make sure I get plenty of rest for my morning workout. It sucks sometimes getting up and ready to workout, but afterwards, I feel GREAT! Plus, I got my workout done BEFORE everything else, so after work I can feel better knowing that I don't have to go to the gym after a long day. Plus, my morning workout helps me function better.

What I try to do to mix things up (so I don't get bored) is do something different each workout. I'm focusing on cardio right now, so I'll do a hill treadmill workout one day, then get on the elliptical another day, then maybe on a bike. Sometimes I'll even do half of my workout on one machine, then the other half on another. I also have tons of DVDs, so if I don't want to go out, I'll do a DVD workout. And if it's financially possible, I'll find a few classes on Groupon, for something new. You gotta keep it exciting and keep you wanting to do it.

So, like I said, don't think, just DO!
    Before you know it, you'll be a workout queen.
    GOOD LUCK :smiley:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    When one is unfit, bodyweight exercises can be harder than strength training with dumb bells. I find planks challenging and I've been lifting weights regularly for a while. I can't do squats or lunges due to bad knees.

Maybe you are starting too hard for your fitness level. What about walking? Just walk a little more each day.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    A couple thoughts.......

As we age we lose lean muscle mass. It's use it or lose it. With my past, I figure I'm already behind. Add to that when we lose weight we lose fat+lean muscle mass.

Resistance training while losing weight helps us hang onto more lean muscle. So I can be soft & weak when I get to goal, or firm and strong. My choice.

Maintenance will be a smaller number of calories (for life). So I can move more to make up for some of that, or I can (more or less) diet forever.

Keep looking for active things you can do. Think outside the box if needed. There's just a ton of stuff out there. I like to jump/jog on a rebounder while watching TV. It's a mindless thing, but it gets me off the couch.

I don't like strength training (never have) but I've found a few DVDs I don't mind doing. Clicking with the instructor is very helpful for me.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    ps - I often have to force myself to start exercising, but once I start I'm fine. I have walking playlists on my MP3 player, occasionally listen to audio books, and also have an FM radio on it. Today was a fun day to walk and listen to the news! I was looking forward to a break from work.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    My diet is going really well, I'm not hungry or struggling. Quite the opposite, I am really happy on my daily calorie allowance.

It's the exercise, I just cannot for the life of me get the motivation to exercise.
    I have a few friends all going on a health kick but unfortunately none live close enough to me to exercise together - which would have been a huge help.

I think part of my problem is I am so unfit, for so long, it's just hard.
    The one time I did recently do some exercise (last Friday I think), I did body weight exercises like squats, planks and lunges and I did feel good afterwards. The following day was another matter....just sore!

How do you guys get motivated? Any ideas?
    Can exercise be fun so that you really want to do it?
    My brain needs to tell myself it will get easier............

What if you're just plain lazy? Which I think is the case here, I work hard where my work and responsibilities are concerned and have learnt over the years to veg out in my limited spare time.

If I am entirely truthful with myself, I just don't want to exercise, but I know I need to if I am to get slim and fit - which is my end goal.

I think I have answered my own questions, I'm just bloody lazy :(

One of the big issues I see time and time again is unfit couch potatoes trying to go from that to "all the exercise"...thus it is overly taxing and demotivating.

My advice would be to just focus on moving more...I started out simply making myself go for a walk everyday and getting my body used to moving...as that became easier I added things, increased intensity, etc. Like I said, I pretty much walked...then I introduced some body weight stuff...then I started a C25K program and did a bit more with body weight work...then I joined a gym and incorporated lifting...none of this happened overnight...it happened over the course of about 3 months.

Everyone wants to come out of the gate with guns a blazin' and ultimately it doesn't work for most as they burn out and/or get injured. Fitness is something that you build on over time.

Yes...exercise can be enjoyable when you find something you enjoy. The problem that many people have is they don't think outside the box and they go do things simply because they think they should because they saw it in a magazine or whatever. I tried for months to force the issue with running...I loathed it but I had this idea that fit and healthy people run, so I must also run...about a year into things I was training for a sprint triathlon and dusted off my old bike to train with...I pretty much fell in love and couldn't believe I hadn't thought about it sooner. I never ended up doing the sprint (injury) but I've been cycling ever since (3+ years) and love it...I primarily cycle, lift a couple days in the weight room and I walk on lifting days and my rest day...I do some hiking in the spring, summer, and fall as well.

• TigerLily100
    TigerLily100 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thanks all.

Justinian - you're right I need to find something I actually like.

Angelaypolite - absolutely right, I need to just do it, and you hit the nail on the head about tomorrow. It's always tomorrow, and tomorrow arrives and I say tomorrow.... :(

Kshama2001 - I already walk a lot as I have 3 dogs, I can walk for miles no problem. I am weak in my core which is a real issue as I horse ride as well, and I never get any better due to this weakness. My first plank was for 18 seconds and I just couldn't hold it any longer.
    I have considered I need to shift some fat before doing this type of exercise, and I am slowly.
    The worst part is, even though I found it tough, I didn't find it impossible, and I felt so good afterwards, I had lots more energy.
    I don't know why I can't just get off my backside and do it again, and again and again until it becomes a habit.

• kshama2001
    Options
    18 seconds yesterday...19 seconds tomorrow...20 seconds two days after that :)
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I found at the start, having a schedule set out for me was incredibly helpful to keep me going. It was on the calendar so I had to do it.

You could look into something like Fitness Blender, they have a beginner program, they're only about $15 and on their site they have a feature for you to add your program to their calendar so you just go in and do the workout on that day. They also have every workout on their Youtube channel so you can try a few to see if you like it before you commit.

Another point is if you only ever do the odd day here and there, you are always going to hurt a lot the day after. I just had four weeks off for a variety of reasons and spent much of last week regretting stopping for so long! Consistency helps minimise muscle soreness.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I agree with Vintage Feline.

I started by setting a schedule, because I looked at the endeavor as forming a habit.

The idea here between what you are doing and the act of doing it are two different things.

Start small and form the habit first. Don't worry about what you're doing. Do something easy to form the habit of getting into regular exercise.

Once you've met the goal of performing regular, consistent -- something -- for 28 days (on whatever schedule you decide), then worry about what specifically you're doing.

Never, never underestimate the value of habit.

This morning, the last thing in the world I felt like doing was running, and yet I felt my body going through all the motions it does going through my morning routine in getting ready and going for a run. It's amazing how deeply ingrained patterns and behaviors can become. And how useful they can be as fall backs when motivation fails us.
  • snowprincess502
    snowprincess502 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a Fitbit or similar device to help motivate you to get some steps in?
  • angelaypolite
    angelaypolite Posts: 63 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I love my Fitbit! It helps keep me motivated.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I hate running. It is the single-most boring activity known to man, in my opinion. Those pictures I see of people wearing their number bibs and talking about C25K, mud runner whatever it's called, and all that other nonsense is equally annoying. I mean, the treadmill was originally a torture device for crying out loud!

BUT! I love to listen to music and watch movies and YouTube videos. So one day I decided to simply walk very slowly on the treadmill while watching and listening to these things. I started out at 30 minutes. Now I can keep a quick pace going for up to 2 hours.

What I'm trying to say is, start slow and do what you can to make it an enjoyable experience. It doesn't have to be running or weightlifting. It can be a cardio class or some other fitness activity. Allow your body time to get used to it. As you improve, you may surprise yourself and actually seek out more intense forms of exercise.

I was similar. I figured I'm going to sit on the couch and watch football/hockey anyway so I may as well set up my treadmill that I can walk while watching. Now I'm doing the C25K on the treadmill.

Bit tough if you don't have a treadmill at home though.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    A while back I was running early in the morning and would often see another gentleman out at the same time. He would be drinking coffee and smoking cigarettes while walking. He told me that when people criticized him for doing that, he said he would be drinking the coffee and smoking anyway, so adding in a walk was better for him that not walking at all. I tell that story to illustrate that you don’t have to exercise like a pro to get some benefit out of it. Do what you can and build from there.
  • cogirljb
    cogirljb Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    18 seconds yesterday...19 seconds tomorrow...20 seconds two days after that :)

Lots of good advise here, but I love this one, its so true!! You have to push yourself out of your comfort zone, even if its a small amount. I am constantly doing this with myself, I keep track of everything I do and always try to push for more the next time!! The more you push the faster and/or stronger you'll get!!!
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Thanks all.

Justinian - you're right I need to find something I actually like.

Angelaypolite - absolutely right, I need to just do it, and you hit the nail on the head about tomorrow. It's always tomorrow, and tomorrow arrives and I say tomorrow.... :(

Kshama2001 - I already walk a lot as I have 3 dogs, I can walk for miles no problem. I am weak in my core which is a real issue as I horse ride as well, and I never get any better due to this weakness. My first plank was for 18 seconds and I just couldn't hold it any longer.
    I have considered I need to shift some fat before doing this type of exercise, and I am slowly.
    The worst part is, even though I found it tough, I didn't find it impossible, and I felt so good afterwards, I had lots more energy.
    I don't know why I can't just get off my backside and do it again, and again and again until it becomes a habit.

Are you riding frequently? And what style? There are a variety of core exercises you can do on horseback (aka, push-ups against the neck...bareback work...and if you are riding English and really want to experience some evil, dropping your stirrups and posting or holding 2-point position for as long as you can, pushing yourself farther each time, is an awesome workout). And then cross-train your riding with some core work in the living room. 18 seconds is great for your first plank! Try it every day, and see if you can add on 5 seconds a day. Or even just 2 seconds.

Take small steps as to what you commit to, like either riding or doing core work 3-4 days a week, and see how it goes. Or any time your butt is in front of the tv, just get on the floor and do a few core exercises.

If you are interested, there is a group under equine athletes that has just gotten started, at which you would be very welcome, whether you are currently riding or not.

Edited to add link: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/117046-equestrian-athletes
  • EternalSnow627_
    EternalSnow627_ Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I don't really do the gym thing. I do what's fun and for me it's usuallly playing a games called just dance for the Wii,Wiiu and PS4. It gets u moving and dancing and I loose weight from that. on days that I don't want to dance I go on the treadmill and I usually do that when watching a movie or something.
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your progress so far. If you are walking 3 dogs daily and horseback riding regularly, you already have a decent amount of activity built into your life. Like others said, do some strength building if that is where feel you are lacking, but build up slowly. And yes, repetition is the best antidote for the soreness. In fact, studies show that day-after activity gives us much relief as a massage in regards to muscle soreness:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-exercise-massage-for-muscles-idUSBRE93A0T520130411

Good luck!
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I am not a gym person. For the past few years I have been rolling out of bed and putting workout clothes on and doing videos. I find programs I can tolerate and stick to them. I've lost a lot of inches as well as pounds. I did join a yoga studio so I could get some mind body connection as well and am aiming for videos 5 days a week and yoga 2-3 day a week.
  • AllSpiceNice
    AllSpiceNice Posts: 120 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I was just thinking the exact same thing but Gottaburnemall said it better than I could.

Setting a schedule and building the habit was a key factor in re-starting my exercise program, back when I was 90 lbs overweight and reaaalllyyy out of shape. I literally started at 5 mins per day, 4 days per week, then slowly worked up from there.

Make it any activity/workout you enjoy. The best exercise for you is the one that you'll keep doing consistently. Experiment and find what works for you.

It feels so much better to be physically active and fit - and you're worth it! Good luck!

ETA: I was trying to quote GottaBurnEmAll's comment from Jan11 but lost that somehow. Lots of good advice on this thread!