Immersion Blenders

Options
Natzmom
Natzmom Posts: 15 Member
My husband got me an immersion blender for Christmas, which I wanted. Besides, soup, what do you use yours for?

Replies

• jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Lumpy gravy and tomato sauce.
  • HoldTheDoor13
    HoldTheDoor13 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Don't use it on your fingers. I learned that the hard way.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I make mug cakes for breakfast sometimes and use it then.
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Just don't put thin long things in your blender, people in Crazy Food Myth in the Food and Nutrition section say it could be dangerous
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I use mine to make smoothies, chop nuts, make oatmeal powder, protein shakes, and pancakes. It has a blender attachment as well as a whisk - such a handy tool that doesn't take up much space.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    My daughter uses hers to make soap.
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    As for cooking you can use it to smooth out sauces, make homemade salad dressings, blend soups, whisk eggs, making salsa, and pestos are a few things I use mine for. It is a lightweight blender, so avoid using it for chopping nuts, or other hard things. Also be careful when using it for hot liquids as it can splash up on you, and make sure the vessel you are blending in has high enough sides so you do not make a huge mess.
  • lowcarbog
    lowcarbog Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I use it to make cauliflower mash or broccoli mash. I'm low carb, so it's a serious blessing for those two recipes!
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    Options
    I used mine for a cauliflower mash the other day. Hubs said never do that again.
    I use it for making sauces and soups. It and my food mill are often used together.
    I have a fancy blender, but I like to chew.

I've one too but it tends to only be used for frozen cocktails.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    Options
    ugh that would make me vomit is he like 85 with no teeth?

I can't deal with watching people drinking green coloured smoothies. That's just wrong
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    When I make home made applesauce or jam I used it to get a nice smooth consistency. It's also good for making baby foods.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Tomato soup, pizza sauce, applesauce, pancake batter, mashed potato
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »

I can't deal with watching people drinking green coloured smoothies. That's just wrong

Because you make real food.

So where's the pie crust recipe?
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    if it has a whisk attachment can you use it to bake? like to cream butter and sugar and make cookie dough etc.? my hand mixer just broke and i'm debating options.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    if it has a whisk attachment can you use it to bake? like to cream butter and sugar and make cookie dough etc.? my hand mixer just broke and i'm debating options.

I do that. :) I've even used it to make cream cheese frosting (which is VERY hard to mix since cream cheese is so dense!). It doesn't work nearly as well as a hand mixer, though. And it strains when you're mixing up something really thick, the machine heats up and you have to let it rest for several minutes every minute or so. Not something I'd do on the regular, but useful in a pinch. Creaming butter and sugar is a cinch with it. :)
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options

I do that. :) I've even used it to make cream cheese frosting (which is VERY hard to mix since cream cheese is so dense!). It doesn't work nearly as well as a hand mixer, though. And it strains when you're mixing up something really thick, the machine heats up and you have to let it rest for several minutes every minute or so. Not something I'd do on the regular, but useful in a pinch. Creaming butter and sugar is a cinch with it. :)

awesome, thanks for the response! i actually found a recipe for a protein cheesecake on these forums and maybe that will be my first test. :D
  • angelxsss
    angelxsss Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    berry sauce :)
  • BHFF
    BHFF Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    My PROTEIN SHAKES what else lol
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Mashed cauliflower and pureeing butternut squash or pumpkin for recipes.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »

Also someone said they blend broccoli and cauliflower, sounds like jail food.

When I think broccoli or cauliflower, I am thinking being attended upon by waiters and the manager making sure I am happy because I am a yelp maniac and I check in and live blog the experience. Plus I don't eat that sheet at home ;)

Live blog?!

What do you tell your wife?

"Hey honey, instead of enjoying this experience, let's take pictures and write an article to express our opinions to people who don't care."

I need to get off the internet.