The taste of Green Tea **frowns**

Options

Replies

• MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I love it all by itself, I never sweeten my tea or add milk or anything like that. I guess I grew up drinking it straight or with a wedge of lemon so I got used to it when I was young lol.

Hope you find a way to make it more enjoyable :)
  • SithLordJane
    Options
    1374198156951.gif
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    what about the taste don't you like?

Green tea needs to be steeped differently than black tea. For starters, don't use boiling water, it will bring out the bitterness of the tea. The water should only be between 170 and 190 F. Secondly, you only need to steep green tea for 1-2 minutes, otherwise you over steep it and it has a bite to it.
  • aschlender30
    Options
    I know, right! I have tried to like Green Tea, but I just don't. I'm much more into black teas. I've also noticed that green tea is harder on the stomach when you haven't eaten in a little while. Is it more acidic? I might just be more used to other teas. I really like Jasmine teas, though. They have a lovely smell and more flavor than regular green teas.
  • swingsintherain
    swingsintherain Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Try a different brand! I thought I didn't like the flavor of green tea, when really I didn't like Lipton green tea. I've liked most other brands I've tried. And yes, like sewerchick93 said pay attention to brewing.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Exactly what health benefits do you speak of? Anything you can get with green tea you can get elsewhere...it's not a magical potion. If you don't like it, don't drink it.

This is true, but the antioxidant concentration in green, black and oolong teas is much higher than in most fruits or vegetables. More bang for your buck.

But it's still not required for good health.
  • CarrieJ85
    CarrieJ85 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I don't like green tea much either but I drink black tea all day. There are some tasty herbal teas out there, I would try mixing those with your green tea. I especially like Celestial Seasonings Blueberry and I'm sure it would be good with green tea. I have an iced tea maker and will throw in a couple black tea bags with a couple fruity herbal tea bags and it's delicious. I don't need to add sugar or artificial flavor to enjoy it.
  • goombasmom
    goombasmom Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I find green tea delicious! I find that buying good quality loose leaf, makes all the difference in the world.

^That. Some of the cheaper brands taste off to me. I like putting a little bit of agave nectar to sweeten mine.
  • Kiss_Her_Act
    Options
    You might be overbrewing it, is it the bitterness or the actual flavour that bothers you?

BITTERNESS! Maybe you're right hey about overbrewing
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

I know the health benefits...do you know you can get those same benefits elsewhere?...it's not a magic potion...if you don't like it don't drink it...if you continue to drink it stop *****ing about it. Pretty simple...

DUDE! You seriously need a f****n Chill pill...You find my post lame,Skip It..Stop being a *kitten*.Now Will ya?

LOL....I just don't think you know very much is all...
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I love the taste of green tea, sweetened or unsweetened, hot or cold! It's black tea that disappoints me.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You might be overbrewing it, is it the bitterness or the actual flavour that bothers you?

This!^

Over brewing can wreck it. Try a fruity flavor green tea - just to get used to it. Lipton Superfruit flavors are really fruity - I like the Red Goji Raspberry and the Acai Dragonfruit ones.
  • sadiebrawl
    sadiebrawl Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I dislike it without adding mint.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    If you don't like the taste of green tea don't drink it. It's not a magical drink.

Try brewing it for a shorter period of time with slightly cooler water if you are finding it bitter. I personally love green tea brewed with a lemon wedge in it. I love it as an iced tea with some sweetener and a few slices of lemon.. even orange slices taste great in it.

I personally find loose leaf tea to be much better in taste than the bags of lipton, Tetley, etc. There are some great flavours out there in tea bag form and loose leaf form. I get loose leaf tea from my local bulk store.
  • technobunny
    technobunny Posts: 131
    Options
    I find green tea delicious! I find that buying good quality loose leaf, makes all the difference in the world.

This.

Tea Bags suck.

Buy yourself a nice difuser (I have a Teavana Tubmbler w/built in infuser. It keeps my tea hot from 9am to well beyond 2pm) and buy loose leaf and brew according to insturctions.

I drink Gyokuro Imperial green tea mixed w/ Cha Ven Thai Tea & 1tsp of Stevia. Delicious!
  • Kiss_Her_Act
    Options
    I think I'm going to have to do Eeny-Meeny-Miny-Mo..LOL,Kidding..Thank you Pals for your answers.
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    Options

BITTERNESS! Maybe you're right hey about overbrewing

It can get horrifically bitter with enough time, all tea can really. Its the caffeine. Try cutting back your brewing time by 1-2 minutes see if it helps. The actual taste of green tea is quite mild and refreshing.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I know the health benefits...do you know you can get those same benefits elsewhere?...it's not a magic potion...if you don't like it don't drink it...if you continue to drink it stop *****ing about it. Pretty simple...

DUDE! You seriously need a f****n Chill pill...You find my post lame,Skip It..Stop being a *kitten*.Now Will ya?

LOL....I just don't think you know very much is all...

Based on what, exactly? She just said she drinks it for health benefits, which you agree it has. You are the only one that said anything about green tea and weight loss.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I like it with lemon in it also if you make it a bit weaker you cant even taste it