What's the best way to burn 1500 calories/day without burning muscle?

Options
I need help! I'm shooting to burn 1,500 calories at the gym(daily) without attacking muscle. Anyone want to share their secrets? I've been trying HIIT on the treadmill, Zumba, and sauna. I need a new routine. I would like to do some weight training as well.

Replies

• JackTyler1990
    JackTyler1990 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You won't burn Muscle if you have fat to burn, bit of a myth really...
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this is called for here or not, but you do know your body burns calories all day, right? Even if you don't exercise, your body is probably burning around 1500 or even more just doing what it does. Are you looking to burn 1500 cals more than that?
  • ayala47129
    ayala47129 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I don't think 1500kcal/burn is hard at all and as long as you have fat like @JackTyler1990 said than you will be fine. Heck I only worked out for 25 min so far on lunch at a desk job and have burned 1,851kcal according to my fitbit
  • JackTyler1990
    JackTyler1990 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    ank47129 wrote: »
    I don't think 1500kcal/burn is hard at all and as long as you have fat like @JackTyler1990 said than you will be fine. Heck I only worked out for 25 min so far on lunch at a desk job and have burned 1,851kcal according to my fitbit

I'd say it's maybe not the easiest thing but doable. Also, take what your Fitbit says with a pinch of salt. Not 100% accurate. They reckon 80-90% however! OP, why do you want to burn that much a day? Just interested.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Right, but she said she is looking to burn 1500 calories "at the gym".

OP, you can burn 1500 calories throughout the whole day easily. You will not be burning 1500 calories at the gym, unless you can spend all day there.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

That includes your BMR and not just exercise calories. Burning 1500 calories from exercise is hard.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    That's an insane amount of daily exercise and is a pretty excessive and unreasonable target...you must have a butt load of free time.
  • henk_nbg
    henk_nbg Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It might be possible to burn 1500kcalories at the gym but only with having a big amount of muscle mass and also using it for maybe 2 hours. but for us - the standard humans - this is not the reality! ;-)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    I need help! I'm shooting to burn 1,500 calories at the gym(daily) without attacking muscle. Anyone want to share their secrets? I've been trying HIIT on the treadmill, Zumba, and sauna. I need a new routine. I would like to do some weight training as well.

Why 1500? Are you planning to live at the gym? 1500 is a huge amount of calories to burn exercising, especially if you are a woman. As a 230ish pound man it would take me probably 90 minutes to do that outside in a bike, cycling vigorously into a head wind.

Just so you know, HIIT doesn't really burn that many calories because if you are doing it right you will be gassed after 20-30 minutes. Sauna's don't burn any extra calories, they just make you sweat as your body tries to regulate its temperature, Zumba might give you 300-400 calories for a class. If you want to burn 1500 be prepared to either spend a lot of time on an exercise bike, running on a treadmill with a good incline, or rowing on a rowing machine.

You don't need to burn 1500 calories at the gym to lose weight. For that matter, exercise is not primarily to lose weight it is for the health benefits. If you still want to burn 1500 calories, be prepared to eat a lot so that your calorie deficit doesn't get too large.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    You won't burn Muscle if you have fat to burn, bit of a myth really...

You will once your body has burned as much fat as it can for the day. There will always be some muscle lost with the fat people lose, but an excessive deficit will result in that amount of muscle loss increasing.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    That burn includes your BMR. OP is looking for a caloric burn at the gym.
    OP, 1500 calorie burn is a LONG TIME AT THE GYM. Are you looking to just be able to eat 1500 more calories from your current deficit?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    I burn 1000 a day easy. cardio, outside. every day/
  • rileysowner
    Options

Fitbit records your complete daily burn, not just your exercise calories. That 1851 is your cumulative daily burn up to that point, what would be called you Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE). That would be made up of your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) while your body burns whether you do anything or not, your None Exercise Activity (NEAT) the stuff you burn once you get up and start moving around, making meals, showering, etc; and you Exercise Activity, the calories you burn in the gym. For the vast majority of people the largest portion of that TDEE number is made up of BMR calories, so your 1851 calories is mainly made up of what is needed to simply keep your body alive.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

are you trying to burn off what your calorie goal is? if so thats not what CICO means.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

This is 100% unrealistic, and probably really bad for your body.

Why do you want to burn 1500 calorie at the gym?

Your profile says you gained 40 pounds, why I presume is what you're trying to lose. Well, to do this all you have to do is eat at a calorie deficit. Exercise is just an added bonus, and trying to hit a certain calorie burn number, especially such a high number, is silly.
  • listentobeverly
    listentobeverly Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

This is 100% unrealistic, and probably really bad for your body.

Why do you want to burn 1500 calorie at the gym?

Your profile says you gained 40 pounds, why I presume is what you're trying to lose. Well, to do this all you have to do is eat at a calorie deficit. Exercise is just an added bonus, and trying to hit a certain calorie burn number, especially such a high number, is silly.

Well, it may be silly to you but i'm merely unhappy with my body is all.

I've never been obsessed w calorie counting. I ate very clean and worked out. I did some research and spoke w a personal trainer and he told me to burn more calories than I consume. I figured I start counting calories. He seemed pretty knowledgeable.

What do you suggest I do? I'm consuming around 1200 calories/ day. I drink a gallon a water a day. I spend around 2.5 - 3 hours at the gym 6 days a week.