What's the best way to burn 1500 calories/day without burning muscle?

Options

Replies

• listentobeverly
    listentobeverly Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I need help! I'm shooting to burn 1,500 calories at the gym(daily) without attacking muscle. Anyone want to share their secrets? I've been trying HIIT on the treadmill, Zumba, and sauna. I need a new routine. I would like to do some weight training as well.

are you trying to burn off what your calorie goal is? if so thats not what CICO means.

yes. what does CICO mean? I was a little taken aback by having to burn more than consumed. Please enlighten me
  • listentobeverly
    Options
    coralietg wrote: »
    I spent two hours at the gym today and burned around 800 calories (weights, bike, elliptical). You'd have to put a lot of hours in.

I burned 600 calories an hour on the treadmill with an extremely high incline and high/low speed. I think I'm just scared to get "flabby". I usually spend 2.5-3 hours at the gym. anything more than that is excessive.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I need help! I'm shooting to burn 1,500 calories at the gym(daily) without attacking muscle. Anyone want to share their secrets? I've been trying HIIT on the treadmill, Zumba, and sauna. I need a new routine. I would like to do some weight training as well.

are you trying to burn off what your calorie goal is? if so thats not what CICO means.

yes. what does CICO mean? I was a little taken aback by having to burn more than consumed. Please enlighten me

What are your stats? Height?Weight? Your body burns a certain number of calories by just existing. For example my BMR is 1360. That number + activity level + exercise calories = calories out. I don't know is your stats but you should at least be netting 1200 (what you eat-calories burnt).

Right now you are aiming for - 300 (edited as I can't do math) which is a huge, huge deficit and will lead to malnutrition and serious health issues very soon. There is no way of preserving muscle at that low intake.
  • listentobeverly
    Options

Why 1500? Are you planning to live at the gym? 1500 is a huge amount of calories to burn exercising, especially if you are a woman. As a 230ish pound man it would take me probably 90 minutes to do that outside in a bike, cycling vigorously into a head wind.

Just so you know, HIIT doesn't really burn that many calories because if you are doing it right you will be gassed after 20-30 minutes. Sauna's don't burn any extra calories, they just make you sweat as your body tries to regulate its temperature, Zumba might give you 300-400 calories for a class. If you want to burn 1500 be prepared to either spend a lot of time on an exercise bike, running on a treadmill with a good incline, or rowing on a rowing machine.

You don't need to burn 1500 calories at the gym to lose weight. For that matter, exercise is not primarily to lose weight it is for the health benefits. If you still want to burn 1500 calories, be prepared to eat a lot so that your calorie deficit doesn't get too large.

Thanks for your insight! I was told to burn more calories than consumed. I think that's where my confusion is coming from.

I plan on spending 2-3 hours at the gym (6 days a week).

I'm taking your advice. I'm mostly going to do cycling class weekly. Treadmill with a high incline and decent speed.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I spent two hours at the gym today and burned around 800 calories (weights, bike, elliptical). You'd have to put a lot of hours in.

I burned 600 calories an hour on the treadmill with an extremely high incline and high/low speed. I think I'm just scared to get "flabby". I usually spend 2.5-3 hours at the gym. anything more than that is excessive.

2.5-3 hours at the gym a day and only eating 1200 is excessive. Are you holding on to the railings while using the treadmill? That will cut down your calorie burn by a lot.
  • listentobeverly
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    That's an insane amount of daily exercise and is a pretty excessive and unreasonable target...you must have a butt load of free time.

Not necessarily. I only plan on spending 2-3 hours at the gym
  • listentobeverly
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Not sure if this is called for here or not, but you do know your body burns calories all day, right? Even if you don't exercise, your body is probably burning around 1500 or even more just doing what it does. Are you looking to burn 1500 cals more than that?

Well, yes. I was told to burn more calories than I consume is all. I plan on getting an apple watch or Fitbit to keep track of how much I burn
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    2 things -
    1 Check out "TDEE" - you burn probably 1600-1800 calories a day without exercise.
    2 2-3 hours a day? Training economy comes to mind here. Do some weight lifting followed by HIIT. Maybe some walking.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your insight! I was told to burn more calories than consumed. I think that's where my confusion is coming from.

That is how you lose weight, but it doesn't mean you have to burn off that many through exercise. As others have pointed out, you burn calories all day just by living. Set up your profile on MFP with your stats and a reasonable weight loss goal (I'd suggest 1lb per week as you don't have a huge amount to lose), and eat the number of calories it gives you. If you exercise, add that to your diary and eat a portion of those extra calories, since your deficit to lose weight (the "eat less than you burn" part) is already built into your daily goal.

Be aware that most machines and MFP's own estimates for exercise burns can be very inflated (so can Fitbits and other trackers), which is why most people recommend not to eat the entire amount. As you go along, you'll learn how accurate your estimates are (based on how fast you're losing weight) and can adjust accordingly.

And 2-3 hours at the gym sounds excessive to me unless you're an athlete in training. :) It's really not necessary to do that much unless you really enjoy it - you can lose weight with no exercise at all as long as you eat an appropriate amount of calories.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You know you burn calories just by being alive... you don't actually need to work out to 'burn more than you eat'
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Burn more than you consume does not mean working off all your daily intake and then some through exercise. Your body burns calories just by being alive. You are probably already at 1200 just through existing, those count as part of your daily calorie burn. The low calorie intake (1200 is minimal for women) in combination with the excessive exercise is very likely burning through more of your muscle mass than if you were consuming a moderate deficit. You really are going to be spinning your wheels with this plan.
  • gppuddinpie
    gppuddinpie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You're going to burn muscle if you're at a calorie deficit. That's just going to happen regardless of what you do. That being said, if you're a newbie to resistance training, you can actually build muscle at first. It doesn't last long, though. Your body quickly adapts. If you're not a newbie, you can continue to work muscles to try to preserve what you have. Also, make sure you get enough protein (and add some carbs in there, too, to transport the protein to your muscles). Try to get 1 to 1.2 grams of protein per pound of lean body weight per day. Coming from someone who lost 150 pounds and got to my goal weight and kept it there for 8 years, exercise isn't really a great way to lose weight, but it's a good motivator and it's good for your heart and keeps you strong. Add more calories, specifically carbohydrates, on days that you exercise. You'll be more efficient that way.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    2-3 hours exercising 6 days a week seems like you'd burn out pretty quickly. You may have more luck sticking with it if you broke it up, maybe 1 hour in the morning another hour later in the day.

I find I burn a lot of calories by just being as active as I can throughout the day i.e. No sitting down, just constantly moving about... obviously you can't do this if you have a desk job, but I'm a mom and I can easily spend the whole day moving around taking care of kids, cooking, cleaning, laundry, shopping... there's always stuff to be done!

I know that's not what you're looking for, but trying to burn 1500 calories in one go then sitting on your butt the rest of the day seems crazy to me.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    An average woman between the ages of 30 & 50 burns 1800 calories per day just being alive.
    So I guess the best way is to just stay alive.
    If you want to burn an additional 1500 calories, that is a pretty big amount, and involves probably several hours per day. A pretty big goal.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    It takes me less than 120 min to burn 1500 calories.
    On the treadmill running at 6.0 - 6.5 incline at 3%
  • ashesnposies333
    ashesnposies333 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Burn more calories than you take in during a workout doesnt mean all day calories, it means every meal you eat should be less than the calories youre burning during your workout.
    If you over do it with burning calories your body might enter starvation mode and store fat instead of burning it.
    Strength training will help you burn more calories than cardio alone and the muscle will assist your burning more calories throughout the day. And with lean muscle youll still be burning all those calories on your rest day.
    Also if youre worried about flab, replace the fat with muscle and dont pay too much attention to weight, five pounds of muscle takes up much less space than five pounds of fat.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    1) Burn more calories than you take in during a workout doesnt mean all day calories, it means every meal you eat should be less than the calories youre burning during your workout.
    2) If you over do it with burning calories your body might enter starvation mode and store fat instead of burning it.
    3) Strength training will help you burn more calories than cardio alone and the muscle will assist your burning more calories throughout the day. And with lean muscle youll still be burning all those calories on your rest day. Also if youre worried about flab, replace the fat with muscle and dont pay too much attention to weight, five pounds of muscle takes up much less space than five pounds of fat.

1) I have never heard this interpretation of that saying.

2) Starvation mode, as you are describing it does not happen.

3) 60 minutes of strength training will burn fewer calories than 60 minutes of cardio, however, it will continue to burn calories after the fact, moreso than cardio.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Burn more calories than you take in during a workout doesnt mean all day calories, it means every meal you eat should be less than the calories youre burning during your workout.
    If you over do it with burning calories your body might enter starvation mode and store fat instead of burning it.
    Strength training will help you burn more calories than cardio alone and the muscle will assist your burning more calories throughout the day. And with lean muscle youll still be burning all those calories on your rest day.
    Also if youre worried about flab, replace the fat with muscle and dont pay too much attention to weight, five pounds of muscle takes up much less space than five pounds of fat.

Just no
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

you cannot replace fat with muscle it doesnt work that way, you can build muscle underneath the fat(if the conditions are right,but doesnt usually happen in a deficit) and then once you lose the fat you will see the muscle,but you cant replace fat with muscle. and as for still burning calories on your rest day. a lb of muscle burns an extra 6-7 calories(may be as much as 10 calories-everything I read is different) but its not going to be a significant amount to notice. strength training burns less calories than cardio, as for your meals being less calories than your workout,NO thats not how it works either,

To lose weight you eat less calories than your TDEE-so if your TDEE is say 2500 you would eat 2000 calories a day,that would be 1lb/week(500x7=3500). you dont eat say 500 for breakfast and then go burn off 700. if you did that you would burn off your breakfast and an additional 200 calories putting you into negative calories. if you are eating say 2000 calories you want to net 2000 calories AFTER exercise. you put in your info into MFP tell it how much you want to lose,if it gives you a certain amount of calories you eat that amount as your deficit is built in, which means if you eat 2000 and burn off 300,you want to eat them back,but most people eat back 50-75% because exercise calorie burns can be overestimated. or you can eat 2300 and burn off the 300 and get your 2000 net which is easier.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Not sure if this is called for here or not, but you do know your body burns calories all day, right? Even if you don't exercise, your body is probably burning around 1500 or even more just doing what it does. Are you looking to burn 1500 cals more than that?

Well, yes. I was told to burn more calories than I consume is all. I plan on getting an apple watch or Fitbit to keep track of how much I burn

You need to burn more calories than you consume all day, not just during exercise. Your body burns calories all day, even while you sleep. My bmr is @ 1350 calories. That means if I lounged around in bed all day, I would burn 1350 calories. You don't need to burn 1500 cals through exercise, probably more like 300 calories.

Plug your stats into mfp, choose a goal of 1 lb per week and get your calorie goal. Then eat this calories, log your exercise, and eat back half of those calories. You don't need to spend half the day at the gym to lose weight.