Eating out...Do you just stay in?

Options

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    @Tacklewasher - yes it is. She is a 9yo Westie born and bred in Scotland. She is awesome!

I've got 2 of the little monsters at home. 5 & 6, but not from Scotland :). The dog in my picture is just a picture I found on the net. They are wonderful pains in the butt.

As they say. My dogs are the reason I get up in the morning. Really freakin early. Every. Single. Morning.
  • Karie2017
    Karie2017 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I eat out still. I just ask for a to go box with my food. I'll split all my food in half. Put one half in the box for the next day to eat lunch or dinner. Then the other half I eat.
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I don't eat out too often but when I do i just make sure to save a huge chunk of calories. I had sushi this week! I don't let it weight loss keep me from going out when I can afford too. Just bust your booty the next day at the gym. I do that too.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I have 2-3 places that I have meticulously tabulated meals for, so I try to stick to those restaurants when possible. I also walk 2-3 miles to meet up at those places rather than drive and stick with only one glass of wine. So far, so good.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Reading all of these replies has made me realise what a home body i am! We haven't been out for dinner/lunch in months, probably 5 or 6. I cant even remember the last time we had take away :(
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    My wife is my social life. We dine out 1 or 2 times monthly. For the small group of her favorite restaurants, I have determined the very small set of choices I can make to stay within my calorie budget for a meal.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Reading all of these replies has made me realise what a home body i am! We haven't been out for dinner/lunch in months, probably 5 or 6. I cant even remember the last time we had take away :(

This was us as well. Growing up in a frugal German family we rarely ate out with the exception of travelling or very special occasions. My wife and I realized that we needed to do this more simply to expose our kids to this.

We eat out a bit more, but take this as a learning experience and try to replicate great dishes at home.

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I eat out often, but tend to go to chain places that publish nutrition info. And I pay attention to what I order/eat.
    Hi all. Do you turn down invitations to eat out with friends in order to stay on track? At the moment I have a meal out about once a fortnight and as weight loss has stalled, I'm
    tempted just to just say no to friends. Even if I make an apparently healthy choice it's impossible to work out calories - and even though I estimate I must be way off as weight loss has stopped. I guess I just need to stay in for a while. Does anyone else feel like they have lost a significant part of their social life through dieting?

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    My wife is my social life.

I love this :heart: It's the same for me and my husband.

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

This was us as well. Growing up in a frugal German family we rarely ate out with the exception of travelling or very special occasions. My wife and I realized that we needed to do this more simply to expose our kids to this.

We eat out a bit more, but take this as a learning experience and try to replicate great dishes at home.

Hhmmm coincidence, but I grew up in a German family too. We very rarely had take out, it was a special treat every now and then, and we never went out for dinner, not that i can remember anyway. Not because of saving money or anything, but my mum was such an awesome cook and she made better tasting stuff :smiley:

ETA: Now that i think about it, my poor mum would have appreciated a break from cooking every night! But knowing her, she would have taken it as an insult if we chose take away over her cooking lol

Being of Scottish blood and adopted by Germans I'm doubly frugal...and prone to love beer.

My mother on the other hand hated cooking, so she would have rejoiced in not having to cook.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I rarely ate out the first several months of weight loss, then gradually added it back in using all the tips of wise ordering and taking home half. Now that I'm in maintenance, I find it's even harder to manage eating out, because there's not much room to fudge with the calories. I can't just starve myself all day so I can eat out later. I need regular meals throughout the day. Still working on this one, but still eating out!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options

We go out less in the winter, but I guess that doesn't apply to you this time of year, right?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    I also plan to bring half my entree home. Sometimes I take it apart and weigh the components.

I also get in more exercise earlier that day.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,721 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I rarely ate out the first several months of weight loss, then gradually added it back in using all the tips of wise ordering and taking home half. Now that I'm in maintenance, I find it's even harder to manage eating out, because there's not much room to fudge with the calories. I can't just starve myself all day so I can eat out later. I need regular meals throughout the day. Still working on this one, but still eating out!

Funny: I would have to say that I probably was eating out more often while actively losing weight.

Now I find myself sticking to (chain) places I know the menu and (approximate) calories well enough because it isn't worth it to me to bother to figure things out, or to put in an effort to recover from indiscretions!

Probably not a good attitude!

Should mark on my calendar to start eating out more ;-)
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I do eat out less than before, particularly fast food but eating out socially hasn't changed. Some places list their calories which is nice but if not, I just make a reasonable choice and guesstimate. It hasn't been a problem.

I have had to correct friends and, at first, even my wife about "being on a diet." Diets don't work. Long term responsible, healthy eating habits work. I am taking responsibility for my weight/health/fitness in order to enjoy my life. Part of that includes eating out with friends, family, and especially my beautiful wife.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,989 Member
    Options
    I ate out regularly while losing and still eat out at maintenance. When I eat at chain restaurants I use the online nutrition information. If not then I just use the nutrition information from a similar chain. It looks weird in my diary when I have an appetizer from one restaurant and an entree from another. But it has worked for me. I do tend to eat at the same places so I just try to be consistent and use the same entries for certain restaurants.