Eating out...Do you just stay in?

Options
Hi all. Do you turn down invitations to eat out with friends in order to stay on track? At the moment I have a meal out about once a fortnight and as weight loss has stalled, I'm
tempted just to just say no to friends. Even if I make an apparently healthy choice it's impossible to work out calories - and even though I estimate I must be way off as weight loss has stopped. I guess I just need to stay in for a while. Does anyone else feel like they have lost a significant part of their social life through dieting?

Replies

• cruisin99
    cruisin99 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I find eating out ends weight loss unless you stick to a salad and even then they are normally high in calories. A regular meal stops me for at least three days.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    No. I just try to save some Calories, monitor weight for the next few days, and adjust if necessary.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. Prepare ahead of time. Save some calories, maybe get some extra exercise and then enjoy your night out.
  • thelatecomer
    thelatecomer Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies, very helpful. For a start I need to tighten up my logging-now I'm nearing goal, I don't have much deficit to play with. Once I can be sure I am logging accurately I can save some calories for restaurant meals. Luckily I don't drink alcohol or I'd be gaining weight, not just static! What are your experiences with losing water weight? I had a meal out today which was most definitely high in sodium, how long until the water weight will subside (I will be going back on "normal" diet tomorrow!)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    No change in social life.
    I ate out once a week at restaurants with no problems.
    I don't eat at other people's homes very often. It was never a thing before I started losing weight though. If I was invited somewhere I would feel comfortable going.

You could do thinks like eat lighter for your other meals that day or lighter the day before or after. You could add more exercise those weeks.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies, very helpful. For a start I need to tighten up my logging-now I'm nearing goal, I don't have much deficit to play with. Once I can be sure I am logging accurately I can save some calories for restaurant meals. Luckily I don't drink alcohol or I'd be gaining weight, not just static! What are your experiences with losing water weight? I had a meal out today which was most definitely high in sodium, how long until the water weight will subside (I will be going back on "normal" diet tomorrow!)

Regarding water weight, it varies from person to person. It usually takes me about 2 days to lose any water weight I've gained from a high sodium day. Drinking plenty of water helps.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Of course I eat out. Assuming a deficit of 500 calories a day, it's very doubtful the guesstimations of your nights out are off by 7000 calories each night out. It's more likely something in your daily life needs to be fine tuned.
  • dwulet130
    dwulet130 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    ! What are your experiences with losing water weight? I had a meal out today which was most definitely high in sodium, how long until the water weight will subside (I will be going back on "normal" diet tomorrow!)

I know it sounds backwards, but drink water to lose water weight. When your body realizes that you're not super dehydrated with sodium, it will release what it's holding on it. Good luck!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    @thelatecomer The most important question I've been wanting to ask since you joined the forum, is that a Westie in your picture?
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    No. I lost 50 lbs eating out 3-4x/wk. You don't have to do it that often but I think that eating out is good practice for life after weight loss. You need to develop estimating skills and methods and want to socialize.

This. I eat out every sunday and atleast once or twice through the week. Im down nearing 8- pounds in 9 months (231-155) Just move more or eat less later, Find lower calorie options (Simple as a value burger from wendys and a black coffee for me vs. a big meal with a full calorie soft drink)

Still get out, Averages to one of my meals calories anyway :p Sit in restaurants definatly are harder but im making the point no need to cut out EVERYTHING. Theres a way around everything
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I ate out several times a week during my weight loss phase and I still eat out several times a week now in maintenance. Hasn't been an issue fitting it in.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I will bank calories from the week so I can indulge a little eating it with friends.
    Tomorrow night I'm going out with friends and I have about 1000 calories extra saved up for that meal. It will probably go to all the drink though.
  • thelatecomer
    thelatecomer Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hmm, you all seem to manage eating out, I'm obviously doing it wrong! Plan is to tighten up
    the logging and as suggested, move more! Thanks all.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    If the place you are going to has online nutrition information available, I find that to be a big part of my success. For example, I am going out for dinner tonight at a steak restaurant. They had the menu and nutritional information online so I preplanned my meal and prelogged it to make it fit my calories. Then I planned the rest of my day around those calories.