Butter vs. Margarine

Options

Replies

• Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Great information love the olive oil suggestion! Never heard of ghee before but I might be checking that out also! Thanks for all the advice :smile:

It's pretty easy to make too! :) I use KerryGold to make it.
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Butter is the better option in my opinion. And this is what I use to keep mine fresh without refrigeration.
    http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-284-Stoneware-Butter-Keeper/dp/B0000VLURQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374249116&sr=8-1&keywords=french+butter+keeper
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I've been a long time margarine user. Butter here is very expensive, so margarine is the more economical option. Plus they did a good job of scaring us away from the evils of butter all those years ago.

Just recently as part of my eating change, I've switched to butter (and started buying it on my grocery trips down to the US at a fraction of the price it is here). I love the taste so much better. I love the texture. And I found it made a difference with how long breakfast holds me in the morning versus margarine.

I'm convinced and converted. Butter it is! The margarine only comes out now when hubby uses up the last of the soft butter and doesn't put more out. hehe
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    It butter all the way in our house..... :drinker:
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Yuck, I could never eat margarine, just tastes nasty to me!

As for your follow-up question, Land 'o Lakes makes a whipped butter in a container that is fairly easy to spread.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I go with what tastes better.

So butter.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Butter is a much healthier fat. Margarine is horrible for you.
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! So now another question... The reason I don't like butter is because it is so hard to spread! What can I do to help with this? Leave it out for a bit before using it?

Just leave it in the cabinet in a butter dish. No need to refrigerate it if you use it often. If not, then just throw it in the microwave for 5 seconds.
  • glutesandabs
    glutesandabs Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    bump and stuff
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I use Smart Balance butter (the one with flax) and it spreads pretty easily.
  • getting_fit86
    getting_fit86 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Butter in my opinion is just better because it is natural. I feel that margarine is just weird with a plastic texture
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I NEVER consume margarine. Will use butter sparingly. (Most often I'll use a small amount when frying egg whites a few times a week.)
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Butter. I can't stand the taste of margarine.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I always thought margarine was better, so that is what I use on sandwiches, but now I heard somewhere that butter is better... Which is true?

It depends on the margarine. The ingredients and types of fat can vary greatly.
  • bcattoes
    Options

based on what?
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

based on what?

Please grab your margarine package, list the ongredients here, and maybe someone will be kind enough to tell you. It won't be me though...i personally don't care what crap others put in their bodies. And I get really annoyed with the 'give me an article' demands. How about common sense? Is that sooooo hard at this point?
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Butter is way better for you than margarine. Margarine is actually only 1 or 2 ingredients away from being considered plastic! And I know that plastic isn't good for you haha :)

Then don't add those 1 or 2 ingredients.
  • bcattoes
    Options

based on what?

Please grab your margarine package, list the ongredients here, and maybe someone will be kind enough to tell you. It won't be me though...i personally don't care what crap others put in their bodies. And I get really annoyed with the 'give me an article' demands. How about common sense? Is that sooooo hard at this point?

I didn't ask for an article or if anyone cared what others eat. I asked what information the post was based on. I could grad a dozen margarines and they'd likely all have different ingredients. What makes them all "horrible for you"?
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    If I weren't vegan, I'd choose butter over margarine for many of the reasons listed above.