Fit Bit Steps, to eat or not to eat...

Options
I've used MFP multiple times over the years to get rid of extra weight but this is the first time I've been doing it with a Fit Bit.

I've noticed that this time my weight isn't really moving and I'm wondering if it's because now I'm eating back the calories I've earned from walking (calories burned according to FitBit).

Previously I'd walk and not "earn calories" as I wasn't measuring them, so I'd never eat them back.

Has anyone else experienced this? I might try not counting for a month and see if it works.

Replies

• serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goal settings. If you have yourself set to "lightly active" or more, then MFP is already taking many of those FitBit steps into account. If you're set to sedentary, then go with the above, 50%-75% of those calories back.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Previously I used to partly eat back exercise calories but I never used to have walking calories as I wasn't tracking it.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    TrishSeren wrote: »
    Previously I used to partly eat back exercise calories but I never used to have walking calories as I wasn't tracking it.

Are you certain your food logging skills are up-to-snuff? Do you have less weight to lose this time than your previous times tracking on MFP?
  • TrishSeren
    Options

Are you certain your food logging skills are up-to-snuff? Do you have less weight to lose this time than your previous times tracking on MFP?

I'm even more accurate now, previously I never weighed my food and I still lost weight. Now I weigh my food for accuracy and it's not budging. The only change is that now I have a Fit Bit so I'm adding calories to my daily allowance and eating them back. I never did this before, I only ever logged gym or running calories not my general walking around calories.
  • jedibeau82
    jedibeau82 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Consider too that Fitbit is not very accurate. I had one and it said I was taking steps while I was doing dishes. Something on the order of 150 steps. I also went for a run with the Fitbit and my Garmin chest HRM and the Fitbit over calculated my calories by 120 on a 25 minute run. Needless to say I brought the Fitbit back.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

I'm even more accurate now, previously I never weighed my food and I still lost weight. Now I weigh my food for accuracy and it's not budging. The only change is that now I have a Fit Bit so I'm adding calories to my daily allowance and eating them back. I never did this before, I only ever logged gym or running calories not my general walking around calories.

Is your FitBit synced or are you adding the calories manually? If you're adding them manually, I suspect you're adding too many.

If it's synced, how long have you been using it? It can take a couple of weeks for FitBit to get used to your daily rhythms and establish a regular baseline heartrate for you. During this "getting to know you" period, it can be less accurate. I find mine to be incredibly accurate though.

What have you chosen as your activity level on MFP?

Do you have negative adjustments enabled?

If none of the above triggers any ideas, I'd lean toward underestimating intake being the issue rather than the FitBit overestimating - not that it matters because the solution to either issue would be to eat less.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I eat back deliberate exercise calories (walks, runs, bike sessions) but not incidental steps. That has worked well for me.
  • TrishSeren
    Options

Is your FitBit synced or are you adding the calories manually? If you're adding them manually, I suspect you're adding too many.

If it's synced, how long have you been using it? It can take a couple of weeks for FitBit to get used to your daily rhythms and establish a regular baseline heartrate for you. During this "getting to know you" period, it can be less accurate. I find mine to be incredibly accurate though.

What have you chosen as your activity level on MFP?

Do you have negative adjustments enabled?

If none of the above triggers any ideas, I'd lean toward underestimating intake being the issue rather than the FitBit overestimating - not that it matters because the solution to either issue would be to eat less.

The steps are synced, MFP then uses these to allocate calories. I don't use Fit Bit calories as they seem too high, like I doubt I'm burning as much as they say I am.

I've had it since October, and I've put on weight rather than lost weight despite logging (except over Christmas but I was already gaining before Christmas whilst logging).

The lowest activity level as I work in an office.

I'm going to unsync it and eat to what MFP allocates, because before I started using my Fit Bit I was losing weight.

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I personally have found my fitbit flex to be very accurate. I am set on mfp to sedentary and eat back all or most of my calories earned. I really think it helps to cross check your settings in both and just play around with the numbers. I also never enter my work outs on mfp, only on fitbit. I actually found mfp was giving me twice as many calories for the same workouts so I believe the fitbit number to be more accurate.
    Example:
    MFP Bootcamp 30 min 410 cals
    Fitbit Bootcamp 30 min 212 cals
  • rban1000
    rban1000 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I never eat any calories back...no way! Those calories are how I can lose/maintain my weight! I mean...I screw up and overeat and binge many times but not on purpose! I LOVE if I can burn more calories then I eat
  • rekite2000
    rekite2000 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I changed the settings to say my Fitbit is in my dominant hand (though it isn't). Makes it less sensitive to movement and feels more accurate to me. I would rather under count rather than over count.
  • TrishSeren
    Options
    rekite2000 wrote: »
    I changed the settings to say my Fitbit is in my dominant hand (though it isn't). Makes it less sensitive to movement and feels more accurate to me. I would rather under count rather than over count.

My fitbit sits on my hip, it's a clip on one rather than a wrist one.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I use walking to increase my TDEE and create a calorie deficit. Eating them back would be counter-productive.
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Of course I eat them back (about 80%-100% of my Fitbit calories). I walk about 12k steps a day, which is quite active, so I need to eat more than if I was sedentary. Makes sense, and I don't want to undereat, because funnily enough, that's what makes me overeat.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I found that it was easier to log only steps where I was walking to/from somewhere (I walk at least 1000 per day additional steps just milling around the house or going up and down stairs at work), by underestimating my exercise calories burned, it allows me to offset any inaccurate food entries. Not sure if this will work with fitbit but my Samsung phone has the ability to track calories burned by specific journeys on the SHealth app. I am losing my target weight weekly consistently.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    mlinci wrote: »
    Of course I eat them back (about 80%-100% of my Fitbit calories). I walk about 12k steps a day, which is quite active, so I need to eat more than if I was sedentary. Makes sense, and I don't want to undereat, because funnily enough, that's what makes me overeat.

If you eat back 80-100% of your FitBit calories, I assume you are trying to maintain? FitBit displays your TDEE I believe.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Fitbit gives you your daily TDEE (the number you see at the end of the day is your predicted TDEE and I've found it to be pretty accurate), if you are wanting to lose you need to eat at deficit of that number, be that 10% or 20%, depending on how much you are wanting to lose each week.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I walk and use a fit bit to motivate me. I do not eat back the calories it gives me. In my mind I tell myself I can eat some of them if I am having a particular hungry day, but usually that never happens.