started 2 weeks ago - no weight loss

Options

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Hi, you will be surprised how quickly you will produce muscle if you are new to resistance training. If your personal trainer has produced a workout/nutrition plan then he may be only looking at you losing 1-2lb per week as this is usually the recommended weight loss amount/week to try and ensure it is sustainable. Please also remember that if you cut back calories/macros too much and are exercising more thank normal, your body maybe shocked and go into a catabolic state, where you actually wont to be in an anabolic state. As fat is a great fuel source, if your body sees a big surge in activity and you don't replenish your protein/carbs correctly then it will hold on to this fat for fuel.

I am no personal trainer so I might be wrong here, but the above is my understanding? I would ask your personal trainer for advice.

it wont be a lot of muscle in 2 weeks, definitely not enough to gain 2 lbs back.its hard for a woman to build muscle even in a surplus. and its even harder for most to gain any appreciative muscle in a deficit.I would say water retention from working out again.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    marykat968 wrote: »
    I'm so glad you brought this issue up. What you wrote is almost exactly what I have been doing with the same results. I joined a gym the last week of Dec, signed up with a trainer, track my calories...as of today my weight is the same! I'm also trying to lose about 30 pounds and I'm trying not to get frustrated. I have a very physical job and when I'm at work I feel like I'm starving. Kevin's response about the body wanted to store fat for fuel kinda makes sense to me. Don't get discouraged...we got this!

you are not going to store fat if eating in a caloric deficit. it doesnt work that way.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    marykat968 wrote: »
    jenwil1999 wrote: »
    I'd also suggest making sure you're counting your calories accurately. I think a lot of people are off by hundreds of calories per day. I recommend getting a scale and weighing in grams. It's far more accurate than measuring in cups. Also, really watch oils and butters - and extra tbsp of oil is 120 calories. If you've been exercising so much, it'll make you pretty hungry until you adjust. Make sure you have a filling post-workout snack all ready.

I also use the heck out of the barcode scanner on the phone app when I log my food. That's a huge help

The barcode scanner can provide incorrect entries,even the green check marked entries can be incorrect. its best to cross reference the info to make sure its correct
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Sharon_C wrote: »
    Hi, you will be surprised how quickly you will produce muscle if you are new to resistance training. If your personal trainer has produced a workout/nutrition plan then he may be only looking at you losing 1-2lb per week as this is usually the recommended weight loss amount/week to try and ensure it is sustainable. Please also remember that if you cut back calories/macros too much and are exercising more thank normal, your body maybe shocked and go into a catabolic state, where you actually wont to be in an anabolic state. As fat is a great fuel source, if your body sees a big surge in activity and you don't replenish your protein/carbs correctly then it will hold on to this fat for fuel.

I am no personal trainer so I might be wrong here, but the above is my understanding? I would ask your personal trainer for advice.

No to everything in this post. OP, please ignore all of this.

I have heard all of this before and believe Kevin is right.

It's wrong because you can't gain muscle that fast. Especially women. A woman, if she works really hard and is very dedicated and her diet is on point, might gain 10 pounds of muscle in a year. Kevin is right in that there are what are called "newbie gains" in that if you are overweight and haven't worked out and are just starting to workout your muscle gain will be faster than most at first but definitely not that much in 2 weeks. Two pounds of muscle in that time frame is nearly impossible.

Your muscles can retain fluid after a workout which might attribute to a slight gain in weight, especially if you weigh after a workout.

Also, if you are in a caloric deficit you won't gain muscle. It takes a calorie surplus to build muscle. Working out will help you from losing the muscle mass you currently have but you won't be gaining muscle while in a deficit.

actually some women can gain muscle(small amounts aside from newbie gain) in a deficit.albeit a small one(deficit), but the conditions have to be right and wont happen for every woman,and it wont happen in 2 weeks.. it has to do with getting enough protein,if the person has built muscle in the past and getting back to building it again,genetics, started weight lifting while obese(no you cant turn fat into muscle)etc,etc. it can happen but for the most part does happen in a surplus.age and hormones play a part in it too. but no,in this case its not muscle I agree
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    I would say have a look into going vegan

what does vegan have to do with it? if you arent in a deficit you wont lose weight no matter what or how you eat.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

Even a 19 -year-old male isn't going to put on 1 to 2 lbs of muscle in a week, even if were eating in a surplus, so there's no way OP (a woman) is doing that in a deficit.

Your body doesn't "hold on to fat" unless you're eating at maintenance or surplus. And if it did "hold on to fat for fuel," why wouldn't it use the fat for fuel, since that's what you say it's holding on to it for. This doesn't make sense according to science, and it doesn't make sense according to logic.

lol I missed your post on this before I posted
  • ashesnposies333
    ashesnposies333 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Water weight is the likely culprit. Water weight is temporary and can surge because of TOM/hormones, muscle fatigue, sodium and a number of other reasons. Keep going. GIving up has no positive outcome, afterall. Keep going and while you can weigh in as often as you want, compare the trend over time. Such as compare your starting weight to what you weigh 30 days later, and then 30 days after that.

Oh don't worry, I won't be giving up..I just know that if I was seeing how results, it would push me harder. Unfortunately this is my TOM..and I feel horrible. Hopefully that has a lot to do with it. Good idea with the 30 day comparison

Your monthly period is liable to give you bloat and water retention which could add as much as 5 lbs and sometimes even more. Weigh yourself afterwards and see how that is, never during because there is always excess!
  • DailyGroomer
    DailyGroomer Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    OK.. no period.. and still no weight loss. WTF!! I've lost about 1.5 lbs in 1 month. I went from not working out at all to working out at least 3-4 times a week. I've also cut out most of my bad snacking and am eating healthier options a lot of the time. I still eat some stuff that I want, but I try to keep it to a minimum.

Seriously.. what gives? Why put in all this hard work if nothing is changing. I was on the verge of tears this morning
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    please open up your diary - so that people can try to help you
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    please open up your diary - so that people can try to help you

This
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    OK.. no period.. and still no weight loss. WTF!! I've lost about 1.5 lbs in 1 month. I went from not working out at all to working out at least 3-4 times a week. I've also cut out most of my bad snacking and am eating healthier options a lot of the time. I still eat some stuff that I want, but I try to keep it to a minimum.

Seriously.. what gives? Why put in all this hard work if nothing is changing. I was on the verge of tears this morning

You speak in generalities, are you tracking religiously?
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Down 1.5 lbs. in a month is still down. It might be slower than you hoped, but you're losing weight. If you're not tracking religiously, then you are probably eating more than you think you are.
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 356 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

You stated that you were afraid to open up your diary because you didn't want to be eaten alive. That makes us think that you're not being accurate with your logging like you say you are. The hard truth is, if you're not losing weight, look at your diary. If you're not being honest with yourself, than you're not going to lose much weight.
  • DailyGroomer
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »

You speak in generalities, are you tracking religiously?

yes, I track everything and preplan some meals.
  • DailyGroomer
    Options
    I opened up my diary. The eating is a work in progress but remember that it is MUCH less than I used to eat
  • HG210
    HG210 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Look right next to you. Your reason to never give up.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I opened up my diary. The eating is a work in progress but remember that it is MUCH less than I used to eat

Thanks for sharing, your self awareness will improve with your ongoing tracking. You will lose weight if you keep at it, hopefully you are feeling healthier and that can be your immediate reward.
  • DailyGroomer
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »

Thanks for sharing, your self awareness will improve with your ongoing tracking. You will lose weight if you keep at it, hopefully you are feeling healthier and that can be your immediate reward.

I do notice that when I eat something horrible.. I feel kind of horrible too
  • DailyGroomer
    Options
    HG210 wrote: »
    Look right next to you. Your reason to never give up.

aww thank you.. She is my reason. To be happy and healthy for her
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    the first thing is to get a food scale and weight everything solid and semi solid in grams. weigh all oils,condiments,etc. use cups and spoons only for liquids. food packaging serving sizes can be off by up to 20%. which is why weighing is more accurate than using cups and spoons. 1 medium apple can range in weight so therefore its going to range in calories, not 2 apples are going to weigh the same,they may look or be close in size but it can be off by a lot. weigh fruits,veggies,snacks,etc and find correct mfp entries for these things(they can be wrong too) even if something says 1 piece,1 slice,etc weigh it and go by the grams on the package often in parenthesis like this (28g) .

healthy eating and exercise does not always mean weight loss. if you are not in a deficit you wont lose. 1.5 lbs in a month is still a loss. I wasnt even losing that logging/weighing everything and working out and eating back half of my exercise calories. I was lucky to lose 0.2 lbs a month. the last time I lost it took me 4 months to lose 1.2 lbs(I do have a metabolic disorder and other health issues).also make sure you are arent in too big of a deficit as its not healthy. the less weight you have to lose the less weight you want to lose weekly.1200 calories is also too low for some(1200 is the minimum for women.mostly for those who are very short or elderly,or sedentary.since you have only 25-30 lbs to lose you should be aiming for .5 to 1lb a week. nothing higher.also some weeks you will lose,some you wont and some you might gain. if you are new to working out or working out more you will also retain water which can mask weight loss.