started 2 weeks ago - no weight loss

Options
124»

Replies

• jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    you're not tracking your food accurately. you measure in tbs,cups ,etc. You ate 1 cookie.How many grams was it? In the same package,one cookie can be 15 grams,and the one next to it could be 18 grams. Adding all the calories from all the food you do not weigh properly in a single day,could be an extra 300 calories a day which you think you are not eating,but in reality you are.
    My advice is,
    either buy a food scale.weigh everything you eat in grams,pick the correct entries from the database
    or
    if you want to keep using cups and tbs and such,drop your calorie allowance by 200,so if mfp gives you 1500 cal. to eat per day,eat 1300 to make up for the inaccuracies in logging.

And only eat half your exercise calories back.Machines are inaccurate.

personally i found that weighing my food on a digital scale,has made losing weight a breeze. no guessing,no wondering if i estimated correctly, no hoping that i didn't eat too much rice or pasta. i weigh it all and know that at the end of the day i hit my goal and i will lose the weight.
    (I've lost 40.5kgs so far and i'm working on the last 3 now.)
  • DailyGroomer
    DailyGroomer Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    you're not tracking your food accurately. you measure in tbs,cups ,etc. You ate 1 cookie.How many grams was it? In the same package,one cookie can be 15 grams,and the one next to it could be 18 grams. Adding all the calories from all the food you do not weigh properly in a single day,could be an extra 300 calories a day which you think you are not eating,but in reality you are.
    My advice is,
    either buy a food scale.weigh everything you eat in grams,pick the correct entries from the database
    or
    if you want to keep using cups and tbs and such,drop your calorie allowance by 200,so if mfp gives you 1500 cal. to eat per day,eat 1300 to make up for the inaccuracies in logging.

personally i found that weighing my food on a digital scale,has made losing weight a breeze. no guessing,no wondering if i estimated correctly, no hoping that i didn't eat too much rice or pasta. i weigh it all and know that at the end of the day i hit my goal and i will lose the weight.

Those are good suggestions but I eat out a lot. How would I go about doing that? I'm not going to carry a scale with me
  • Cindy01Louisiana
    Cindy01Louisiana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    its been over 3 weeks and i don't exercise don't drink water and was always at a calorie deficit, I logged every piece of food I logged from the search list and double checked it on the package! I did not lose a ounce! go figure I am ready to give up but at least I did not gain!

I always read that it was important to drink a lot of water when trying to lose weight. I am trying to up my water intake. Don't give up yet!

Why would you guys ever choose to give up? If it is not quick or painless, so what? Keep getting up, dust off your knees if you have to, and every day make a choice to keep going -- for whatever your reasons are.
  • uniquedashawn
    uniquedashawn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Its mental just as much as it is physical. Once you tell yourself you ARE losing weight and not just TRYING to lose weight something clicks. At least it did with me. I started Jan 9th and I am down 8lbs. I have a long way to go, but I have only been to the gym 3x since I made up my mind to lose weight. I walk as much as I can. I get up from my desk just to walk around a bit. I take extra stairs. I've been making a conscious effort to move as much as I can since I sit most of the day. And I NEVER LIE TO MY FITNESS PAL. I agree with Crayvn that you don't need to over-do it with water, but I have one cup of coffee in the morning and then I don't put any other liquids in my body besides water. I drink water before and after I eat, so naturally I eat less. I'm no expert, but I am determined and I think that's what's making the difference right now.

Also, I did gain a pound or so back here and there, but I'm not letting that change my focus.
  • theswollendome
    theswollendome Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. A friend referred me to a company called Isagenix. I was skeptical at first but I gave it a try. It's the most amazing product and diet plan I have ever experienced. And the peer support in the community is awesome.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    My advice is,
    or

Those are good suggestions but I eat out a lot. How would I go about doing that? I'm not going to carry a scale with me
    My advice is,
    or

if you go to restaurants - try to pre-plan meals - many chains have menu's online, so you can look ahead and plan food that will help you stay in your calorie goals - when it comes to logging, I guesstimate, but i'll err on the high side - so if I think something is 3oz, i'll log 4 just to give myself an error factor
  • LBxLB
    LBxLB Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I'm on my third week in of my new plan. I weighed in Sunday after completing week two and was beyond frustrated and confused because I had gone up 4lbs on the scale despite me eating within my calorie range, I cheated and got on the scale this morning and am back down, so could have just been retaining water weight. But I definitely almost had a moment and said why am I even bothering. Don't quit.
  • DailyGroomer
    Options
    My advice is,
    or

My advice is,
    or

if you go to restaurants - try to pre-plan meals - many chains have menu's online, so you can look ahead and plan food that will help you stay in your calorie goals - when it comes to logging, I guesstimate, but i'll err on the high side - so if I think something is 3oz, i'll log 4 just to give myself an error factor

I try to plan ahead as much as possible. I also try to over estimate if possible
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I think the best advice for anyone not losing is to tighten up their logging. Weigh and log every bite. If you are eating out then visit the online nutrition page for that restaurant and log that food as well.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    LBxLB wrote: »
    I'm on my third week in of my new plan. I weighed in Sunday after completing week two and was beyond frustrated and confused because I had gone up 4lbs on the scale despite me eating within my calorie range, I cheated and got on the scale this morning and am back down, so could have just been retaining water weight. But I definitely almost had a moment and said why am I even bothering. Don't quit.

losing weight isn't linear - your weight can fluctuate from day to day based on carbs eaten, sodium, amount of sleep - lots of different variables - its the overall trend that is key
  • chase8oliver
    chase8oliver Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be surprised if your calorie intake was the culprit. 9 out of 10 times that's the case for my own clients. Have your trainer review your macros with you.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    My advice is,
    or

like someone already suggested, when you eat out you have to guess . i check the mfp database to find something similar to what i ate, and then compare the results i found and choose an entry on the higher side.
    also, if you used to order,say a steak with salad and fries, and ate it all, now eat 3/4 of the plate .eat all the meat and half the fries, etc. some people when they plan to eat out, eat fewer calories during the week so they can "bank" those calories and use them for that restaurant meal.when i eat out i log at the best of my abilities,being as honest as i can, and the week that follows i eat about 100cals less for a few days.
  • DailyGroomer
    Options
    My advice is,
    or

like someone already suggested, when you eat out you have to guess . i check the mfp database to find something similar to what i ate, and then compare the results i found and choose an entry on the higher side.
    also, if you used to order,say a steak with salad and fries, and ate it all, now eat 3/4 of the plate .eat all the meat and half the fries, etc. some people when they plan to eat out, eat fewer calories during the week so they can "bank" those calories and use them for that restaurant meal.when i eat out i log at the best of my abilities,being as honest as i can, and the week that follows i eat about 100cals less for a few days.

I normally always eat only 1/2. Sometimes I will eat some dessert but not usually anymore unless a special occasion at the restaurant.

I'm going to Olive Garden Saturdya and already have my meal planned by using their nutrition. Grilled chicken parm - 1/2 the serving. 1 salad, 1 breadstick
  • DailyGroomer
    Options
    I wouldn't be surprised if your calorie intake was the culprit. 9 out of 10 times that's the case for my own clients. Have your trainer review your macros with you.

I'm really trying to cut back. Sure I still have some "treats" but I have cut back a lot. My trainer said I should be eating a lot of protein, which I am finding hard to do.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    do you need some help with protein ideas? (I take in 125g a day and typically get within 10g (+/-) of that
  • DailyGroomer
    Options
    do you need some help with protein ideas? (I take in 125g a day and typically get within 10g (+/-) of that

sure!
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    You eat out a lot?
    Even if you go to a restaurant that publishes nutritional info, be aware that researchers have found that what you actually get on your plate is often a LOT bigger than the version they had tested for the calorie count lists.

And if its not a place that publishes nutrition data? When you're estimating based on what you think is in it, assume there's a *lot* more oil and sugar than you would put in the same dish made at home. Because there almost certainly is. Restaurants make foods "superpalatable" by upping the amount of oil, sugar, and salt.
  • jenwil1999
    jenwil1999 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    For eating out a lot, remember that you'll get better at estimating if you're super strict at home about weighing. Early on, it may be easy to look at a plate full of food and have no idea what's on it.

I had some down time and spent 2 weeks mainly eating at home. I carefully packed any food I ate away from home. I lost the most weight during that time and really learned my portions. On the one hand, I learned to SEE a portion properly (better estimating). On the other, learned to FEEL full after a normal portion. Now I'm back to my regular schedule which often includes eating out. Sadly, I'm losing much slower, but still very consistently losing.

Example - Tonight I went out for BBQ - I ate two ribs, 1-2 oz of chicken, a quarter pulled pork sandwich, with some sides and about 2 tbl bbq sauce. I put all of them on my plate to start, and saw that was about a meal. When I finished, I was full. Then I took one more bite of the delicious chicken. Then I knew I really was full and wasn't even tempted to eat more. It was still a high calorie meal, but was easily within my budget (had a low cal breakfast in prep).

I watched everyone else eat easily double that amount. One person said he was "so full" and then ate another 3 ribs and some chips. All I could think was that he added 400-500 calories after he was full. If he does that once a day, he's adding a pound a week AFTER he's finished his meal. I'm not judging - I've always done the same thing. It's so common in our culture. But once you start to see food as calories (and nutrition - I suggest tracking macros), you'll start to see it everywhere. After dinner, everyone complained how full they were. I felt great - satisfied, but not lethargic. Then I had a cookie when offered and my calories were still ok!
  • paialopala
    paialopala Posts: 8 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    As someone said to me "the weight didn't come on overnight, so it won't come off overnight'.....
    Settle in for the long game.
    2 weeks is a blink of any eye but totally enough time to evaluate bad habits & learn better habits for the time ahead.
    It's fine to ask questions and query the results but 14 days in is very premature. You haven't given your body or your PT a chance to let the program work.
    Anything more than 1kg weight loss a week is dangerous, so if you work out 1) how much you want to lose AND 2) how long that will take, you will understand that your body needs time to help you reach your goals. Don't lose heart, you've just dipped your toe in the water.
    Listen to your PT, knuckle down and do the work, it's not easy but it's totally worth it.
    Absolute minimum would be a month before you start shopping around for a new trainer or nutrition program, provided you have stayed 100% to that program & still not yielded results.
  • DailyGroomer
    Options
    After much though, I have made the decision to ban the scale for the next month. Right now, the scale has too much control over me. I weigh myself every few days and let the number dictate my mood. It is not fun, and it is not a way to live. Those numbers should not have that much power over me. Regardless of whether or not I'm losing weight, I'm doing the right things. I'm working out, I'm eating better and I'm getting stronger.

The other night at the gym, a lady that I did not know came up to me. She said something like "I see what your trainer has you doing, it looks crazy, I don't know how you're able to do that. You're doing great!" If someone else is able to recognize the stuff I am able to do now, I should be able to, too.