Not into working out

Options

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    newbie3122 wrote: »
    It's not an issue. You just have a different goal. You want to be healthy. Some want to be fit. Some want to be strong. Some want to be good at a sport and so on...

True true, I have a lot of natural muscle, like more than the average person kind of like the hulk lol but I just don't like working out and everyone makes it seem like that is something that you necessarily have to do

Everyone thinks that until they lose weight. An extremely small percentage of people actually have high muscle mass without lifting.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    omakase619 wrote: »
    Blast music and just start dancing for an hour straight

That's a good idea! For sure

Consider Zumba...
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    Not everyone is into physical activity.

But when I hear this sort of thing, I tend to ask, "What did you do for fun as a kid that wasn't TV, movies, or video games?" And with a little reflection, often there WAS a thing enjoyed as a child, such as jump roping, dance, bike riding, swimming, and so on. Often there's a clue in there to figure out what you might like now.

Thats true, i was an active mellow kid, mostly just walking though. I guess I really just have to be inspired

Consider trail hiking...
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Are there no physical activities you enjoy?
    Don't call it working out - call it walking in the countryside, dancing, cycling for the joy of being outside (or whatever floats your boat).

Yes hiking and walking, and I don't consider those working out but it's also something I dont do much. I just see everyone getting into the gym lifestyle and I don't want to follow that route unfortunately.

I don't like the gym lifestyle either. I live a few miles out of town next to a mountain trailhead so I'm an not going to hop in my car, drive to town and sweat with a bunch of strangers. I choose to hike and snowshoe for my "workouts" with a couple additional days a week of strength training at home. And because I have a large dog I walk her everyday. Like many have said, it's not necessary to workout, you need to keep in mind that you won't always have that "natural" muscle if you don't work a little bit to keep it.
  • ActionAnnieJXN
    ActionAnnieJXN Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I dislike going to the gym and I've never been into sports at all, but I do like to dance around to music while I tidy up the house, ride my recumbent bike while I watch tv or play my uke, and walk my dogs. More importantly, I like to have strong legs and feel that I can move and walk with at least some grace and ease. And of course, I get to eat a little more too. And I like keeping my blood pressure under control too. There's more, but I think that paints the picture. It's worth it for me to make myself get up and move. And I have chronic leukemia so I'm tired as heck...still worth it. Still gonna do it.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    That's actually a good idea, but do you feel it's actually mandatory to do while trying to improve your health? Lol i know the answer should be yes but im just not into the workout thing. Besides walking or hiking.. ya know

I see absolutely nothing wrong with walking and hiking as a form of exercise/working out. Nothing says you have to use an elliptical or lift weights to be "working out". Whatever you enjoy doing, do it regularly and you're good to go. The trap many fall into when deciding to never work out at all, is that they reduce their caloric intake, lose the weight, then when they reach their goal they stay sedentary and gain the weight back by eating like they did prior to the 'diet'. Long term success doesn't have to mean adopting exercise, but if you don't adopt some sort of regular activity, then you will need to adjust your diet to keep you at your goal weight permanently. I, prefer to eat more than my maintenance level, so I work out to earn those extra calories. I also have a different goal, I want to be fit, and to look fit, rather than just be skinnier. So even though exercise is good for you, it's not required at all. Just don't fall into the endless circle of losing weight, gaining weight, then having to lose it again. It's hard on your body to diet, and eventually you'll lose the ability or will power to continue dieting and simply give up. A little regular activity will help you stay away from that trap.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    Not everyone is into physical activity.

But when I hear this sort of thing, I tend to ask, "What did you do for fun as a kid that wasn't TV, movies, or video games?" And with a little reflection, often there WAS a thing enjoyed as a child, such as jump roping, dance, bike riding, swimming, and so on. Often there's a clue in there to figure out what you might like now.

Thats true, i was an active mellow kid, mostly just walking though. I guess I really just have to be inspired

JUST WALKING?!!! But that's perfect!!! Lots of people get very fit and very healthy and very happy doing just walking!!!
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Are there no physical activities you enjoy?
    Don't call it working out - call it walking in the countryside, dancing, cycling for the joy of being outside (or whatever floats your boat).

Yes hiking and walking, and I don't consider those working out but it's also something I dont do much. I just see everyone getting into the gym lifestyle and I don't want to follow that route unfortunately.

There's nothing wrong with not liking gyms. It works for a lot of people, but it doesn't work for a lot of people, too.

I think you're getting the idea that "exercise" and "working out" cover a lot of activities. There's walking, dancing, bike riding, kayaking, using a pogo stick, playing Pokemon Go, bird watching, ice skating, hula-hooping, horseback riding, snorkeling, rock climbing, golf, and on and on and on...
  • ivasmom2011
    ivasmom2011 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    I am getting older so I pick exercises and activities that will help me in the future such as walking so that I have a better chance of being mobile as I age. Plus I have several places on my bucket list that I want to visit. Most of those places would require a lot of walking. I want to be fit enough to enjoy myself when I get to take those trips.

I made a list of things that I wanted to be able to continue doing such as...

Getting up out of chair
    Putting dishes away in higher cabinets
    Picking things up out of the floor
    Etc
    Etc

Then I went in search of exercises that will help me be able to continue to do those things. Do I always like doing those things...no. However I want to give myself a chance at a better quality of life as I age.

While exercise might not be necessary for weight loss IMO it is necessary for health.

Plus if I am sedentary then the arthritis starts taking over and I feel as if I am really really old.

That is actually really inspiring! I think I'm too young to not be active, I'm 25 with a lot of aching bones. I really should i guess even if i don't want to

If you like to walk there are some walking plans that you could follow to help you get started. The 5k plan starts out very slow letting you build up. Then there is a 10K plan that you could do next and then a 1/2 marathon walking plan. They give you a plan to follow that helps you stay on track.

I was doing the 1/2 marathon but decided it was a bit much for me so I dropped down to the 10K to work my way up. By the end of the year I want to be able to walk a 1/2 Marathon.

Take what you like to do and build upon it. If you like to hike...pick a short easy route and go do that. Keep adding a little harder trail as you progress. You could start out...just one hike a month.

I have this kind of tribal music that I really like so I turn it on and just dance around my apartment sometimes. It doesn't have to be one of those intense cardio videos. Just have fun with getting more active.

I love that idea, i dont want to use this as an excuse but i have this weird and uncomfortable itching that randomly happens to my legs when i walk most of the time. It's uncontrollable and prevents me from going further or wanting to walk back it feels like a million ants on both my legs i need to see what thats about!
  • ivasmom2011
    Options
    First things first you do not need to be work out at a gym to be healthy plenty of people are fit and never need the gym to get fit. I never went to the gym until recently and I certainly never went to get fit as I was already fit or to get the beach body look at be Mr muscle. It doesn't interest me and has no advantage. I simply go as a tool for my training and everything I do has a goal of improving my strengths on the bike of a stronger core and leg strength. For the events I have coming up this year. The gym only adds another element and tool to my training. Just going for a simple walk etc is all that is really needed to stay healthy. When I go for cycles at the weekend I never fail to see groups of people walking in the country over the hills. The only important bit is to be active and doing what you enjoy.

Thats true actually i plan on getting into some activities because this thread with all the personal experiences has opened my lazy eyes lol no but seriously i felt a surge of energy last night after reading all thr suggestions. Thank you
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Hmmm...this is called MyFITNESSPal. Sounds like some people need MyCouchPotatoPal, lol.

IDK I was pretty much one of those CouchPotato members. I think however just being here can help to motivate. Exercise is very foreign for some of us...it was for me...almost frightening. You have no clue as to where to start...what to do...

Then there is the aspect of trying something...not being able to do it...you weren't ready for the pain and aching muscles. These are all things that the CouchPotato experiences. They are so inadequate that they give up not realizing that if they just keep trying it will get easier.

I get the OP...I was there once. I didn't want to exercise either...I just wanted to be more active. It took me a while to figure it out. Even now I still rework my plan...look for new ways to do things so that I enjoy being active. I had to find new ways of looking at "exercise".

Yes, I was there too. But I didn't come here and post how I hated exercise, and I never posted encouragement to others that exercise is not necessary. That's what I find frustrating in some of these threads...
  • ivasmom2011
    Options
    Hmmm...this is called MyFITNESSPal. Sounds like some people need MyCouchPotatoPal, lol.

IDK I was pretty much one of those CouchPotato members. I think however just being here can help to motivate. Exercise is very foreign for some of us...it was for me...almost frightening. You have no clue as to where to start...what to do...

Then there is the aspect of trying something...not being able to do it...you weren't ready for the pain and aching muscles. These are all things that the CouchPotato experiences. They are so inadequate that they give up not realizing that if they just keep trying it will get easier.

I get the OP...I was there once. I didn't want to exercise either...I just wanted to be more active. It took me a while to figure it out. Even now I still rework my plan...look for new ways to do things so that I enjoy being active. I had to find new ways of looking at "exercise".

Yes, I was there too. But I didn't come here and post how I hated exercise, and I never posted encouragement to others that exercise is not necessary. That's what I find frustrating in some of these threads...

Well you didn't have to comment lol. Good day
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Think of it as having not found something you love doing rather than hating to workout. Find out what you love doing and then do it. It might be:
    Skating
    Bowling
    Bicycling
    Walking
    Hiking
    Skiing
    Snowshoeing
    Tennis
    Golf
    Swimming
    Pilates
    Yoga
    Etc., etc., etc.
    The most important thing to do is move. What you do today is your future. It's too important to your overall health. Invest in your health today and you'll reap the benefits in the future!
  • HazyEyes93
    HazyEyes93 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I've recently found out that I genuinely like doing yoga. I used to kind of turn my nose at it as not "real" exercise. But I have sore muscles and I don't feel miserable during or after. In the past, I've done things like HIIT that make me literally want to vomit and make me sick. So, I would dread doing it to my very core. I think just doing something you like that gets you moving is enough. I have loftier goals for the future, but I think starting small is what's going to work for me right now.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

Wasn't trying to offend you...I too find it sad that people only want to lose weight and not get healthier and fitter with at least some form of activity. However as it has been said technically you can lose weight without exercising. Would I ever recommend that...no...I have experienced the benefits of "moving more".

I have read your posts...what you have done I aspire to do. The work that you have put in to be where you are now and where you started is an inspiration to us "older" people. There are many other "older" people such as I think her name is Ann something that I admire for the work that she has put in.

I think that those of us that are older...putting in the work to become fitter and healthier...can be inspiration for people such as the OP. I think that we can show them the benefits of "exercising/moving/activity" even if at first we "hate" it.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I lost all of my weight just counting calories and eating under maintenance. Health issues forced me into the gym and that's when my love of working out was born. Basically I was forced into it and found a wonderful new hobby. But like everyone else said, you don't have to exercise to lose weight.
  • DavidRocketts
    DavidRocketts Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hiking or walking is great exercise - gym is not mandatory. Any decent weight-loss approach needs to begin in the kitchen. Just my opinion, but diet is probably 80% or more of the key. Some cardio is healthy though so we all need to sacrifice a bit of time to it. I've just made my usual walks a bit longer, but use the gym in winter when weather is bad... good luck!
  • ivasmom2011
    Options
    Hiking or walking is great exercise - gym is not mandatory. Any decent weight-loss approach needs to begin in the kitchen. Just my opinion, but diet is probably 80% or more of the key. Some cardio is healthy though so we all need to sacrifice a bit of time to it. I've just made my usual walks a bit longer, but use the gym in winter when weather is bad... good luck!

Good answer and excellent advice thanks
  • bombshellmomshell
    Options
    I just joined two days ago, and mostly because I hope this site motivates me to work out. It is definitely one of my struggles :(
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Orfygirl wrote: »
    I absolutely hate working out. And I don't usually use the word hate. For this reason I make sure that I get my workout in first thing in the morning before anything else. That way I get it over and done with and can move on with my day without feeling guilty about not doing it.

That's actually a good idea, but do you feel it's actually mandatory to do while trying to improve your health? Lol i know the answer should be yes but im just not into the workout thing. Besides walking or hiking.. ya know

Walking and hiking is exercise...i.e working out. Working out doesn't have to mean droning away on cardio equipment or jumping around you living room to some DVD...A workout is just exercise activity. Personally, I like riding my bike. There are many things outside of the gym that are still a "workout"...you need to think outside of the box a little. I lift twice per week for about 45-60 minutes...that's the only time I step foot in a gym...it's not my favorite thing in the world, but I don't hate it either and usually feel pretty good after...but frankly would rather be on my bike, but I'm not getting any younger and I'm about the age where guys start losing muscle mass if they don't make efforts to protect it...and bone mass is important too...not trying to get swole or squat a gazillion pounds, just be healthy and fit.