Not into working out

Options

Replies

• ivasmom2011
    ivasmom2011 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Orfygirl wrote: »
    I absolutely hate working out. And I don't usually use the word hate. For this reason I make sure that I get my workout in first thing in the morning before anything else. That way I get it over and done with and can move on with my day without feeling guilty about not doing it.

That's actually a good idea, but do you feel it's actually mandatory to do while trying to improve your health? Lol i know the answer should be yes but im just not into the workout thing. Besides walking or hiking.. ya know
  • ivasmom2011
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Then don't work out. It's NOT required for weight loss. Just don't expect to look much different that a smaller version of yourself.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

True
  • ivasmom2011
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Then don't work out. It's NOT required for weight loss. Just don't expect to look much different that a smaller version of yourself.

That.

Focus on your diet. Some day you may change your mind. I admit to not understanding taking for granted what our bodies can do. But I'm also getting older and seeing the effects of long term low activity lifestyles on friends and loved ones and don't want to follow down the same path.

See thats a great point! Thank you i have a low activity lifestyle and i dont want to regret it in the long run just sticking to living and healthy eating
  • ivasmom2011
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Are there no physical activities you enjoy?
    Don't call it working out - call it walking in the countryside, dancing, cycling for the joy of being outside (or whatever floats your boat).

Yes hiking and walking, and I don't consider those working out but it's also something I dont do much. I just see everyone getting into the gym lifestyle and I don't want to follow that route unfortunately.
  • ivasmom2011
    Options
    omakase619 wrote: »
    Blast music and just start dancing for an hour straight

That's a good idea! For sure
  • ivasmom2011
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    Not everyone is into physical activity.

But when I hear this sort of thing, I tend to ask, "What did you do for fun as a kid that wasn't TV, movies, or video games?" And with a little reflection, often there WAS a thing enjoyed as a child, such as jump roping, dance, bike riding, swimming, and so on. Often there's a clue in there to figure out what you might like now.

Thats true, i was an active mellow kid, mostly just walking though. I guess I really just have to be inspired
  • vh1mtv
    vh1mtv Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I hate working out, too. I walk my dogs most days, but I do it for them. I don't mind raking or mowing. That's great exercise, and I feel I'm accomplishing something. I'm trying to psyche myself into joining a free women's exercise class at the church a block away, but haven't made it there yet. Maybe just try 10 minutes of exercise per day to get into the habit. That's what I'm trying. I have a ten minute weight routine. I hate it, but I want to get stronger. Exercise may not be necessary for weight loss, but it helps it go faster, and exercise is important to keep a body healthy. That doesn't mean I enjoy it, though! Still hoping to get into more! Best of luck!
  • ivasmom2011
    Options
    Pooshka2 wrote: »
    For me, the hardest part of working out is getting my butt off of the couch.

My exercise of choice was (and will be again) water aerobics. I hated going there, enjoyed being there, and felt great after leaving there.

Yes I tried that once but the class I was in was filled with eight year olds, i'm not sure if that mattered but I love being in the water. It was just to slow paced
  • ivasmom2011
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    I am getting older so I pick exercises and activities that will help me in the future such as walking so that I have a better chance of being mobile as I age. Plus I have several places on my bucket list that I want to visit. Most of those places would require a lot of walking. I want to be fit enough to enjoy myself when I get to take those trips.

I made a list of things that I wanted to be able to continue doing such as...

Getting up out of chair
    Putting dishes away in higher cabinets
    Picking things up out of the floor
    Etc
    Etc

Then I went in search of exercises that will help me be able to continue to do those things. Do I always like doing those things...no. However I want to give myself a chance at a better quality of life as I age.

While exercise might not be necessary for weight loss IMO it is necessary for health.

Plus if I am sedentary then the arthritis starts taking over and I feel as if I am really really old.[/

That is actually really inspiring! I think I'm too young to not be active, I'm 25 with a lot of aching bones. I really should i guess even if i don't want to
  • ivasmom2011
    Options
    I hated working out, I felt like a hamster on a wheel. Then I started Taekwondo and loved it! It felt like a purpose first, and exercise second. Have you considered finding something that's not straight "exercise" and giving it a go? Sport, martial art, dancing, hula hooping, aerobatics...

That's awesome I'm glad I put this post up because I really am getting inspired from it to move my *kitten*
  • ivasmom2011
    Options
    I feel your pain. I hate working out, too. I walk my dogs most days, but I do it for them. I don't mind raking or mowing. That's great exercise, and I feel I'm accomplishing something. I'm trying to psyche myself into joining a free women's exercise class at the church a block away, but haven't made it there yet. Maybe just try 10 minutes of exercise per day to get into the habit. That's what I'm trying. I have a ten minute weight routine. I hate it, but I want to get stronger. Exercise may not be necessary for weight loss, but it helps it go faster, and exercise is important to keep a body healthy. That doesn't mean I enjoy it, though! Still hoping to get into more! Best of luck!

I'm so glad you can relate and you're right I should start small and work my way up! I'm actually going to try some of these suggestions tomorrow. I thought it was a good question and it turned out to be a great question because I got so many different point of views.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I hated working out until I found something that I loved to do. I did work out bc I knew it was good for me. So I did things like T25, P90X3, Insanity, Insanity Max 30, but I didn't like any of them. I always felt good after doing them bc I was doing something good for my body, but I still hated it.

Then I was introduced to pole dancing, and that is what helped me fall in love with working out. I started doing supplemental workouts to help train for pole, so spinning for the cardio aspect and lifting for the strength aspect. I don't do spin like I used to but I've kept up with pole and lifting.

It's all about finding what excites you and makes you feel like you're having fun while being fit.

I just can't imagine anyone not being able to find anything fitness related that is enjoyable.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...this is called MyFITNESSPal. Sounds like some people need MyCouchPotatoPal, lol.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,540 Member
    Options
    There's a direct correlation for females who don't exercise and have a higher risk of osteoporosis. Just sayin'. Also as one gets older, the less physical you are, the higher risk for weakness in walking, opening jars, getting up off the floor, etc. For many of my older clients these are things we work on consistently.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    There's a direct correlation for females who don't exercise and have a higher risk of osteoporosis. Just sayin'. Also as one gets older, the less physical you are, the higher risk for weakness in walking, opening jars, getting up off the floor, etc. For many of my older clients these are things we work on consistently.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

This was the point of my thread. It is not always about what we want to accomplish today...but what we want for ourselves in the future. At least IMO.

When I first started (tried) a formal type exercise program I had no clue as to what to do. I read the threads here for guidance. I kept reading...if you only walk you are wasting your time...if you don't lift "heavy" you are wasting your time...if you don't do high intense cardio you are wasting your time. I tried to do some of those things and I couldn't. So what did I do...I did nothing.

It took me a while to realize that what I wanted to do was just be active...wanted to continue being active even after I hit the "really old" category. So I researched functional exercises that would let me accomplish that instead of letting others tell me what I should be doing.

Those things that you listed...weakness in walking, opening jars, getting up off the floor...those things are real for us more senior people. Those types of things affect our quality of life. I just wish that when I was the OP's age that I had realized what age and an inactive life style would lead me to a life where now I sometimes struggle with those types of activities.
  • Annie_01
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Hmmm...this is called MyFITNESSPal. Sounds like some people need MyCouchPotatoPal, lol.

IDK I was pretty much one of those CouchPotato members. I think however just being here can help to motivate. Exercise is very foreign for some of us...it was for me...almost frightening. You have no clue as to where to start...what to do...

Then there is the aspect of trying something...not being able to do it...you weren't ready for the pain and aching muscles. These are all things that the CouchPotato experiences. They are so inadequate that they give up not realizing that if they just keep trying it will get easier.

I get the OP...I was there once. I didn't want to exercise either...I just wanted to be more active. It took me a while to figure it out. Even now I still rework my plan...look for new ways to do things so that I enjoy being active. I had to find new ways of looking at "exercise".
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Find something you could enjoy...do something..anything - your future self will thank you :smile:
  • ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    First things first you do not need to be work out at a gym to be healthy plenty of people are fit and never need the gym to get fit. I never went to the gym until recently and I certainly never went to get fit as I was already fit or to get the beach body look at be Mr muscle. It doesn't interest me and has no advantage. I simply go as a tool for my training and everything I do has a goal of improving my strengths on the bike of a stronger core and leg strength. For the events I have coming up this year. The gym only adds another element and tool to my training. Just going for a simple walk etc is all that is really needed to stay healthy. When I go for cycles at the weekend I never fail to see groups of people walking in the country over the hills. The only important bit is to be active and doing what you enjoy.
  • mycoffeeinbed
    mycoffeeinbed Posts: 16 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I really don't mind it so much, trying really hard to be active, run and cardio/strength training. Almost starting over from the Holidays. Getting back to meal planning and logging. Kind of got stuck in a rut. Active all week and worn out by the weekends. Even by the end of the day I was tired from working out, finding myself irritable around my wife and poor daughter, who just wanted to play. I needed a boost, needed to not hit the 2pm crash. I tried something new. Its called Thrive by Le-vel. Within hours of taking it I was extremely wide awake and clear minded I was. Amped but not jittery. I have been using it no for only a week an a half. Feeling great! I have started working out on the weekend as well. I give myself a rest day of course, but I feel ready to take on the world. So as someone who was active already but looking for a boost to keep at it. I found that this has helped me immensely. It also reduced me from taking all those supplements everyday. 3 steps: 2 pills first thing in the morning, shake 20 min. later and I slap on a patch after my shower. Keeps my energy level all day. Love that its ALL NATURAL!! Not trying to sell anybody something, just sharing what I have found so that others may feel like I do! [post edited by MFP mods]
  • Annie_01
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    I am getting older so I pick exercises and activities that will help me in the future such as walking so that I have a better chance of being mobile as I age. Plus I have several places on my bucket list that I want to visit. Most of those places would require a lot of walking. I want to be fit enough to enjoy myself when I get to take those trips.

I made a list of things that I wanted to be able to continue doing such as...

Getting up out of chair
    Putting dishes away in higher cabinets
    Picking things up out of the floor
    Etc
    Etc

Then I went in search of exercises that will help me be able to continue to do those things. Do I always like doing those things...no. However I want to give myself a chance at a better quality of life as I age.

While exercise might not be necessary for weight loss IMO it is necessary for health.

Plus if I am sedentary then the arthritis starts taking over and I feel as if I am really really old.

That is actually really inspiring! I think I'm too young to not be active, I'm 25 with a lot of aching bones. I really should i guess even if i don't want to

If you like to walk there are some walking plans that you could follow to help you get started. The 5k plan starts out very slow letting you build up. Then there is a 10K plan that you could do next and then a 1/2 marathon walking plan. They give you a plan to follow that helps you stay on track.

I was doing the 1/2 marathon but decided it was a bit much for me so I dropped down to the 10K to work my way up. By the end of the year I want to be able to walk a 1/2 Marathon.

Take what you like to do and build upon it. If you like to hike...pick a short easy route and go do that. Keep adding a little harder trail as you progress. You could start out...just one hike a month.

I have this kind of tribal music that I really like so I turn it on and just dance around my apartment sometimes. It doesn't have to be one of those intense cardio videos. Just have fun with getting more active.