New to Keto

Options
I started on the Keto diet on 1/14/17. The first 3 days have gone well. Only minor carb withdrawal effects, slight headache and body aches -- not enough of an issue to make me quit. I have been enjoying this way of eating, and I already lost 2 pounds, so I am feeling hopeful. I'm sure I will face more challenging times, though, so I came to this forum to seek support.

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Join the Low Carber Daily MFP group for more support. Lots of keto'ers there. :)
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

BTW, that headache is probably an electrolyte imbalance due to lowered carbs which lowered insulin which prevents the body from retaining water and sodium. Keto'ers often finda that they need 3000-5000 mg of sodium per day. That's over 1-2 teaspoons of table salt. If you start getting sore muscles, it means potassium and magnesium are getting low too.

Good luck.
  • bjlinz67
    bjlinz67 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips!
  • jamesshruga9
    jamesshruga9 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Me and my wife started on 1/3/2017 and so far I have lost 9-10 lbs, make sure to track your meals and get some Ketostrips from the pharmacy (urine test in diabetic section), I think 50 are around 12 dollars. We are long time vegetarians and keeping to that practice as well, good luck on your journey!
  • jonni82014
    jonni82014 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    My BHRT (Bio Hormone Replacement Therapy) Doc suggested the Keto diet. He stated that it is very good for thyroid health. For me it would not be about weight loss, I am feeling well at my current weight. I guess it would be about lifestyle. Should I get a book about the diet OR how to get started as a beginner? How do Ketostrips fit into the program? Thanks for the feedback.