Extremely Weak & Prone to Injury - Exercise Suggestions to Build Functional Strength

Options
kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
I like exercise. I feel better when I exercise. When I do even light amounts of exercise, I feel more in tune with my body (and less likely to overindulge with food). Exercise helps my stress & sleep problems.

But - I screwed up my knee last year, and it's likely to happen again. I have physio exercises to improve my leg strength and make it less likely to repeat, but I seem to have overcorrected my left leg, so it's now the stronger of the two (and my right knee is giving me troubles, so I'm working on strengthening that one too).

I've tried some exercise classes and I've noticed that compared to most people, regardless of fitness level, I am extremely weak. A very light class I was at last week asked us to balance on a stability ball while seated, and I fell flat on the floor, simply trying to raise my legs. I am obese, at 5'2" and around 185lbs (no access to a scale atm). But I think my core is less strong than is ordinary, due to surgeries I had as a child, or simply my general lifelong inactivity.

I want to improve my functional strength so I can participate in more activities. I enjoy group settings for classes and I like swimming, but my lack of ordinary functional strength is getting in the way. I know that I CAN build strength because I saw my left leg improve drastically while I was working with a physiotherapist. Now I'm on my own.

I have a yoga mat, a small office space cleared in which I can lay down but not stretch my arms out fully on the floor (but can while standing), and two 10lb dumbbells. [I am open to purchasing other equipment, like another set of dumbbells or a stability ball, but I do not have a lot of space, so I would likely have to fit it under my desk. I am also concerned with learning how to properly use something else.]

I know how to do: sit ups (though my form is shaky, I can't get off the floor without straining my neck or using the dumbbells to help keep my feet still), plank (side and regular, I can do about 30seconds in each, but the left is most difficult), lunges, squats (currently difficult with my right knee being sore, but I know I can work up to them again), leg lifts, crunches, bicep curls, and tricep dips (with one weight held in both hands). I have done push ups from the knees before, but it seems to put too much pressure on them, and I am currently unable to do even 10 due to my weak arm strength.

I have tried to follow yoga videos, such as Yoga With Adrienne, but several of them have balance or strength poses I simply cannot do, and then I cannot properly follow the video. I can't know before starting the video if I am going to be able to do it, unless it's simply stretching or very gentle, in which case it seems like there is no point unless I am sore/stiff.

I have tried to do a strength routine based on my physio and the exercises I know, and the materials I have, but I became very sore and was unable to do the routine every day or every other day, and I did not continue. I have read that some people break up the lower and upper body so that they can alternate in a day 1 day 2 type schedule. This may be an option.

What I was doing was
: 10 squats, 5 lunges per side, the physio exercises (a form of leg lift and walking while in a squat), 10 sit ups (with my feet stabilized with the dumbbells), 10 crunches per side (the knee is up and you crunch to meet the knee, I know it's a variation), 10 bicep curls, 10 tricep dips, 30sec plank, 30sec plank right side, 30sec plank left side.

That proved to be too difficult to do all at once, really. I was straining and my neck was always very sore, occasionally I had headaches. I stretched, usually downward dog, toe touching while standing and seated, bringing the arm across the body, neck rolls, and the foot-to-butt stretch. I don't know any others.

I have tried looking up stretches or exercises online but have found it overwhelming without direction. I am always unable to do "strength routines" that I've seen, because I either do not have the equipment or do not understand the exercises/cannot do them.

I do have access to a gym through my school. It has a pool, and I want to swim once a week (more than that is unrealistic, starting with once a week is a goal for me now because I have not kept that up consistently yet). I have joined an archery class that uses some upper body strength but not a lot. I am very bad at it. It's quite fun, but not really exercise. I am also in another class that is very mild (the one with the stability ball). I want to be able to do a routine at home in the mornings, maybe every day, maybe 3 days a week. Maybe starting with 3 days a week and aiming for every day.

Please let me know if you have suggestions, either on exercises and stretches that you think might be beneficial, or ways to break up the routine I have outlined so that I can do some one day and some the next without being as incapacitated/in pain (I do not mind regular muscle soreness, but headaches are very distracting and unpleasant). If you have suggestions on how to check that my form is correct I would also appreciate that. Any other suggestions or information is welcome.

I am sorry for the length of this post, but I am not sure what is relevant information and what isn't. I'm also female and in my early 20s, if that is necessary. I tried to bold sections for readability & to highlight important things for answering my questions, if you can. Asides are in italics or parenthesis. I am sorry if that seems obnoxious. Thank you if you made it through the whole thing haha :)

Replies

• Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I don't normally advocate this but it sounds like you would benefit from a coach/trainer who has experience with obese and injured persons. Strength training of any description is great but not if it is going to cause injuries or further problems.

Agreed, you need in person guidance to ensure form and help you prevent injuries, and also to help you create modifications as you go. Also, I know you said you want to work up to it but, swim, swim and then swim some more. When I hyperextended my knee besides using an elliptical, which is less impact than actually running and walking, swimming was my primary form of exercise. It's super low impact, can be using to target your knee specifically, or overall body strength. For me, swimming was an invaluable resource for building my strength back up and staying active.
  • fruitydelicious
    fruitydelicious Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    oh boy, do I hear ya! I recently found out about the exersice program T-tapp. It is a gentle way to strengthen your body. the 15 instructional video (goes over all the basic moves well) is quite a workout for me. I have not tried the basic 15 minutes workout yet. The workout focuses on putting your body in alignment as you do the exersices and explains about different body types and their challenging areas. you can find the workouts on youtube. I went ahead and bought the dvds for $50 on amazon. My issues for the last 15 months: rehab on knee and shoulders for old injuries, threw out hip shoveling a ton of snow- 10 weeks of Physical Therapy, badly sprained right ankle- recovery time 6 weeks, PT 6 weeks, and while in a water slide, my raft swung all the way to the top and I fell straight down on my left toes and right knee, that fall activated the arthritis that I just recently discovered in my foot and have been walking on swollen toes and bottom part of my foot for 4 months....

I wish you the best in hopes that you find an exersice program that works for you :)
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    kae612 wrote: »
    That proved to be too difficult to do all at once, really. I was straining and my neck was always very sore, occasionally I had headaches. I stretched, usually downward dog, toe touching while standing and seated, bringing the arm across the body, neck rolls, and the foot-to-butt stretch. I don't know any others.

so that I can do some one day and some the next without being as incapacitated/in pain (I do not mind regular muscle soreness, but headaches are very distracting and unpleasant).
    Bad headaches as a result of a workout are not normal. Muscle soreness, yes, but not a very sore neck and bad headaches.

As the others have said, please get some face to face guidance, a pro who can check everything you do in person and make an informed recommendation.

The worst case scenario is that you can badly injure or incapacitate yourself. No one wants to see that happen.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I don't normally advocate this but it sounds like you would benefit from a coach/trainer who has experience with obese and injured persons. Strength training of any description is great but not if it is going to cause injuries or further problems.

This. You certainly have TONS of options and can definitely get to where you want to be, but given you're history and current condition, advice thru this forum is going to be difficult. A good coach/trainer who is there in person should be able to help you.

If that's not a reasonable option for you, look into exercises like bird dogs, dead bugs, glute bridges, wall push ups (not from you knees), drop step lunges vs forward stepping, and even farmer carries.
  • Maaike84
    Maaike84 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Really also agree with the advice to seek guidance. There are soo many things you can do, but you might need to moderate them to begin with, and a professional will help you with that. Also wanted to add that if you go to a good yoga class with a good teacher, he/she should be able to help you moderate difficult poses for your current fitness level which will help you progress.
  • 1964rb
    1964rb Posts: 2 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Finally someone I can relate to - I am 52 years old with a bad knee, I have always had weak arms. So when I decided to get in shape, I had a hard time myself - because I couldn't do exercises that used my knees- (lunges, squats, bicycle, climbing stairs etc..) and my upper body strength was very weak. I was limited to what I could do. So I went on Youtube and looked up exercises routines etc... What I did, I found a few routines that I liked and I did the exercises with them. BUT - I modified them to fit my needs and what I could do. If it had something to do with bending the knees - I either did the exercise without bending my knees or modified it to what I could safely and confidently do. If I got too tired and exhausted I slowed down. (they did 15 reps- I might have done 7 reps). But what I did was, I took something I could work with and stuck to it with my modified version, and I slowly worked up to what they were doing. My knee has gotten stronger just from focusing on the other parts, I still have to modify any knee exercise- and still don't do lunges etc... but now I can do more with it, and it doesn't hurt like it use to. Now for Pushups- I started out with on my knees, - (You said that hurts your knees) I also started with this - Try doing pushups with a desk, or something of that height. I stand back from the desk, put my hands on the corner, leaving me in a diagonal stance, and do pushups. Do what you can do, keep to that everyday, then after a time add a little more. After about two months of pushups like these, everyday, and slowly adding on - I finally got strong enough to do a couple of real push ups, then from there I got stronger to do more push ups. Right now I am at 10 to 15 real push ups at a time, I have been doing 3 sets of 10 now. The best way I found - is to decide on a routine, and don't deviate from the routine, (modify it to get through it, but don't deviate). When I started I decided to do 50 pushups, and 50 sit ups every day, (that was my minimum) and If that is all I did that day then I met my goal. If I decided to do more, or different exercises for other parts of my body that day (which I did quite often) - Well that was bonus. But I made myself stick to 50 pushups and 50 situps EVERY DAY. (note I did them in sets of 10 or 20 , like 20 situps, 10 pushups, then 20 situps, then 10 pushups.. etc.. If I didn't feel like it - I might go slower, or lessen the sets to 10 and 5 or do half in the morning and half at night, But I kept to my goals. I made it something that I could stick to - Don't make it something that is so hard you will give up on. I have found the way to stick to something, is to make it something you can somewhat enjoy- or at least don't hate.. I had quit so many times before, because I made my goals too hard and hated to do them. I am slowly getting in shape, (running the turtles race) BUT I am running the race. I started July of 2016, I was 147lbs, I am now 126lbs and eating healthier (Now my main goal is to eat healthy- working on that now) I go to the gym almost every morning and have a new routine of upper body workouts, ab, and workouts for my bottom.
    I cried many times during this time, (and I am not a crier).. because I felt I was working so hard and had so slow and little results. (breaking past 130lb took forever), and I lost weight in my breast and butt first, the two places I didn't want to lose.. (very discouraging), but I am working on building those areas at the gym now. But I decided that no matter what I am pushing on and going to keep this up. I will eventually get to what I want or close to it. One way or another I am happier with my body now, than I was before.
    Find what you CAN do and stick to that, slowly add on as your body strengthens. Also Youtube has been my best friend, I have watched many people on exercise and healthy eating, mainly looking at the ones that pertain to what I need, and sifting through the ones that don't know what they are really talking about. Don't just take one persons word about something though - check all around too make sure they know what they are talking about.
    Note: I am no expert - I was just letting you know my experience, hoping to help a little and give you some encouragement to push through and keep on. - AND MODIFY what you need to modify to fit you.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Does your school have any other classes or instruction available? TBH it doesn't sound like your problem is "weakness" as much as you seem to be consistently choosing exercises that are wrong for your current ability. I say that not as criticism, but ot keep you from getting too wrapped up in this idea that you are "weak" and "injury prone". You may be deconditioned, but no different than thousands of other people starting out.

For example: you should not be doing sit-ups. Period. That should alleviate a lot of neck soreness. In addition, at your current fitness level, I don't think group classes or video workouts are the best choices, as you have much less control over the pace and the movements.

Obviously you are motivated enough to post a detailed account of your routine and issues. I agree with others that you could really benefit from some individual or small-group instruction. You need to get on a routine that is more tailored to your current abilities.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    With a lot of clients who are weak to start, I do a lot of static exercises. This is where a TRX comes in handy for me. Many just starting find it challenging just holding the out stretched row position for 15-30 seconds. Once I feel they are strong enough, then I instruct them how to row correctly.
    As many have said, it WOULD be beneficial to get some one on one instruction. There's a lot more feedback you get and you CAN'T know if your form is correct unless a trained eye can see it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kiela64
    Options
    Thank you for all of this feedback!

I was actually totally okayed for lunges by my physiotherapist, actually one of the recommended exercises for building my leg/ glute strength.

I hear what you say about a trainer, but I'm afraid it would be a waste because trainers work with a lot of equipment & usually have people who are basically more fit at a beginner level.

I've genuinely taken the lowest level beginner classes possible, in the class with the stability ball all we did literally was try to balance - which I couldn't do - and then meditate in the corpse pose. This is what suggested to me that my level of unfit surpasses the norm.

I would like to swim more but I'm very intimidated by the busy pool and circle swimming. I tend to run into people bc my spatial awareness is not very good. That's why I'm working on building up to it.

I may ask a trainer that works in my class on Wednesday if she has a suggestion if there's time after class. I am Afraid of looking dumb lol.
  • kiela64
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    Does your school have any other classes or instruction available? TBH it doesn't sound like your problem is "weakness" as much as you seem to be consistently choosing exercises that are wrong for your current ability. I say that not as criticism, but ot keep you from getting too wrapped up in this idea that you are "weak" and "injury prone". You may be deconditioned, but no different than thousands of other people starting out.

For example: you should not be doing sit-ups. Period. That should alleviate a lot of neck soreness. In addition, at your current fitness level, I don't think group classes or video workouts are the best choices, as you have much less control over the pace and the movements.

Obviously you are motivated enough to post a detailed account of your routine and issues. I agree with others that you could really benefit from some individual or small-group instruction. You need to get on a routine that is more tailored to your current abilities.

I'm curious what other ways there are to improve core muscles other that sit ups & crunches then?

I think I will look into some sort of training, but I have no idea what's available & how much it will cost.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    At age 46 I had a total hip replacement due to advanced arthritis. I have arthritis in my other hip and in my lower back. I was a hot mess. I have zero pain now due to weight lifting.

When I first started working out my left leg was far stronger than my right from bearing all of my weight for years plus the surgery on my right hip weakened me even more. I agree with ninerbuff (I almost always do anyway but he's especially right about this :) ) Start with the TRX. You're so unbalanced right now that the TRX will help you keep your balance. I'm 2 years out from my hip surgery and I still use the TRX for lunges because my balance can be iffy with that movement.

START SLOW

I cannot emphasize this enough.

Start with basic body weight exercises until you can safely and confidently work your way up to light weights, then heavier weights. Don't put yourself on a timeline. If you have to keep doing body weight with no added weights for months and months then do that. The last thing you want to do is hurt yourself by adding weights too quickly.

Basically I listened to my body at every workout. If something twinged, I stopped doing it or I adjusted or I tried something different. It's going to be about trial and error for awhile. That's why a good trainer would come in handy.

It's been 2 years of lifting 5 days a week for me and there are still exercises I won't do (deadlifts because of my back) and probably won't ever try. That's okay too. I've compensated by doing other things instead.

Don't let your limitations limit you. You can do this.

• CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Obligatory disclaimer: I am not a trainer nor a medical professional. Always check with your own doctors for your specific needs.

First off: There's no specific training for "functional strength". There's stronger and weaker on a continuum; at the weaker end it descends into frailty, which is where you are currently. Make no mistake: Frailty is a killer.

The way to get stronger is resistance training. There's simply no substitute for it. To that end, you want to get to the point where you can perform barbell squats, bench press, overhead (military) press, deadlift, and a rowing motion. From your self-description you're too weak to squat a 45lb/20kg bar (or even the "women's bars' of 30lb/12.5kg yet, and that's what you want to build on first.

To that end, start with trying to squat nothing but yourself, preferably without holding onto anything, but don't be shy about using a counter edge to steady yourself. It may take time to get to the proper depth of a full squat, where the crease of your hip is at or below the top of the kneecap, but consistency and persistence in the basic movement will help immeasurably. And, once you're able to, it's time to get a barbell on your shoulders and build your strength.

As @Sharon_C says, START SLOW. You'll likely be sore, and you'll hate it. It does get better with time, both the soreness and the workouts.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    My heart goes out to you because you seem so sincere and trying so hard. IT DOESN"T MATTER where you are now and what you feel your abilities are compared to others. What matters is that you're trying to improve your own self. When I started 2.5 years ago and 150 lbs overweight, I could barely do a step up. I could not do a wall squat to depth. I could barely raise a 6 lb med ball over my head. I worked with a trainer who could give me exercises at my fitness level and gradually but steadily progressed me over time. Now weighted squats and lunges are among my favorite exercises, mostly because I remember when I couldn't do them and I've seen the benefit they give. Resistance bands would be a great place for you to start, they take up no room, you can progress steadily, and they help build strength & mobility. Ignore what people above say about barbells, etc, because that is prob too overwhelming for you to think about right now.

Don't do sit ups, crunches, or anything that strains your neck. There's no reason to and it could result in injury or more pain. I know from experience.

Do what you can, keep doing it, and make it harder little by little. "What seems impossible today will become your future warmup." This has been true for me!!
  • kiela64
    Options
    Sharon_C wrote: »
    At age 46 I had a total hip replacement due to advanced arthritis. I have arthritis in my other hip and in my lower back. I was a hot mess. I have zero pain now due to weight lifting.

When I first started working out my left leg was far stronger than my right from bearing all of my weight for years plus the surgery on my right hip weakened me even more. I agree with ninerbuff (I almost always do anyway but he's especially right about this :) ) Start with the TRX. You're so unbalanced right now that the TRX will help you keep your balance. I'm 2 years out from my hip surgery and I still use the TRX for lunges because my balance can be iffy with that movement.

START SLOW

I cannot emphasize this enough.

Start with basic body weight exercises until you can safely and confidently work your way up to light weights, then heavier weights. Don't put yourself on a timeline. If you have to keep doing body weight with no added weights for months and months then do that. The last thing you want to do is hurt yourself by adding weights too quickly.

Basically I listened to my body at every workout. If something twinged, I stopped doing it or I adjusted or I tried something different. It's going to be about trial and error for awhile. That's why a good trainer would come in handy.

It's been 2 years of lifting 5 days a week for me and there are still exercises I won't do (deadlifts because of my back) and probably won't ever try. That's okay too. I've compensated by doing other things instead.

Don't let your limitations limit you. You can do this.

Thank you! Okay I completely misread before, I thought "TRX" was like a short form for trainer or something - what is that?? It sounds useful.
  • whiskeykittentoo
    whiskeykittentoo Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    What about swimming? That's a nice easy, gentle-on-the-bones and joints and muscles, type of exercise. I scanned through the posts and didn't see if anyone mentioned it.
    Lots of ways to use water to strengthen your limbs and muscles and get you on track.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
  • kiela64
    Options
    What about swimming? That's a nice easy, gentle-on-the-bones and joints and muscles, type of exercise. I scanned through the posts and didn't see if anyone mentioned it.
    Lots of ways to use water to strengthen your limbs and muscles and get you on track.

I think it's because I mentioned it initially as something I'm working on integrating once a week. It's also something where I know my form sucks, and something that causes my neck and upper back to be very sore, occasionally with headaches as well. But it wasn't what I was asking about mainly in this post - but thanks for the suggestion, I definitely agree I shouldn't forget about it. It's just so easy to blow off because it's cold, or I forgot my stuff, or I know it'll be crowded, etc. I need to get better with that, but I also wanted things I can do at home that will help.

If I'm clear on the suggestions, people have mainly suggested working with a trainer as the best option, avoiding sit ups and crunches (although I don't know how else to work out my core), and focusing on body weight squats as like the main thing. Also something about a "TRX" that I'm not yet clear on what it refers to.

But i don't think anyone has disagreed with swimming!
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Do what you can, keep doing it, and make it harder little by little. "What seems impossible today will become your future warmup." This has been true for me!!

You're god-damned right. I started with four months of bodyweight work just to get to where I could get under a barbell properly. Monday I squatted 275 lbs / 124.5 kg for four reps. My knees no longer hurt. My back is mostly fine, other than some slight stiffness when I get up which is common with being my age.
  • slefko
    slefko Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    "I hear what you say about a trainer, but I'm afraid it would be a waste because trainers work with a lot of equipment & usually have people who are basically more fit at a beginner level."

I totally know that personal training is intimidating, but its definitely not a waste. I had never exercised before, prior to working with a personal trainer, and I learned everything I know about exercise from her. She was able to modify movements to what I could do, and personal trainers don't always necessarily use a lot of equipment. I would definitely recommend finding a trainer to start off. Good luck!