Measure EVERYTHING. Pam spray: 3 grams = 26 calories

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

Yes 250 is a small deficit...but it can be over come with 1k extra steps.

I do not burn 250 cals at 1,000 steps. I wish! I gotta run on the treadmill for 30 minutes to burn that.

But I still don't log the oil spray.

the extra 78 calories can be overcome with an extra 1k steps.

I ran for 34 mins on my treadmill and my tracker gave me 512 calories burned, MMF gave me 425...I don't go by the treadmill burn...

Just an FYI: Approximate calories burned walking = 0.3 x bodyweight (lbs) x distance (miles)
    okay but what about running?

My point was that 78 calories are easy enough to burn off with a little tiny bit of effort...so for me to log pam is not going to happen...will is eat into my deficit...no because I am very active.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

I do not burn 250 cals at 1,000 steps. I wish! I gotta run on the treadmill for 30 minutes to burn that.

I ran for 34 mins on my treadmill and my tracker gave me 512 calories burned, MMF gave me 425...I don't go by the treadmill burn...

Just an FYI: Approximate calories burned walking = 0.3 x bodyweight (lbs) x distance (miles)

My point was that 78 calories are easy enough to burn off with a little tiny bit of effort...so for me to log pam is not going to happen...will is eat into my deficit...no because I am very active.

Running is approximately double so 0.6 in the equation.

I fully agree with you, didn't mean to derail the thread too much. I would have to walk just over a mile to burn that off which is not much effort at all.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    If u can sleep better at night knowing you have 5 cals logged, go for it
    Maxematics wrote: »
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I see no reason not to log everything to the best of my ability and to eat the maximum calories that are compatible with my goals!

If it raises your cortisol levels... go ahead and don't log it.

My cortisol if much happier knowing that I've logged my 9 Cal of cinnamon and 18 Cal of Pam and 4 Cal of pepper and 18 Cal of coffee.

And that no calorie will remain unaccounted for or for that matter un-eaten without good reason!

Exactly this. I log everything, even my gum as it's 5 calories per piece. It doesn't stress me out one bit to do so and takes a second to do. The more accurate my data is, the happier I am.

• SezxyStef
    Options

Running is approximately double so 0.6 in the equation.

I fully agree with you, didn't mean to derail the thread too much. I would have to walk just over a mile to burn that off which is not much effort at all.

me either just finding this interesting...I am going to have to not track on MMF today for my run and see what my tracker gives me for calories burned for a run....
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Maybe it would be easier to ditch the cooking spray and just measure out your oil then.
    I use cooking spray sometimes but not that much.
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I also don't log those smaller items: PAM, Hot sauce, Coffee etc.

I actually adjusted my calories to have a 100cal "margin of error" so that if I mislog or something like cake (which we never really know for sure) I have that cushion already in my daily logging. I also don't eat back exercise calories which helps account for this also!
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    There are several examples like this that some people log, and some don't.
    I was happy with my progress and logging, and don't personally sweat some things that others will unless I eat a lot of it. Some will judge me for it, but I lost 70 lbs so I was okay with my approach, while also understanding why some people might feel different. If I ever stopped losing without explanation, the first thing I would do would be to tighten up these areas.

Some examples that some weigh:
    There are some who weigh pre-packaged foods. Is that snickers bar really the 52g it claims it is?
    Bread- many here will weigh every slice, and with good reason. Most slices weigh more than the serving size indicates. That could mean 10+ more calories per slice.
    Eggs- being that they aren't portioned in a factory obviously don't all weigh the same. So there's room for a few calorie difference between them.
    Fruit- whats a medium banana anyway?
    Spices- already said
    Coffee- some places/brands actually call each 8oz cup 5 calories.

The greater room for error, in my opinion, is in eating out. The difference in one chain's "scoop of rice" could be very different than another location, leading to a difference of 50 calories or more.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    There are several examples like this that some people log, and some don't.
    I was happy with my progress and logging, and don't personally sweat some things that others will unless I eat a lot of it. Some will judge me for it, but I lost 70 lbs so I was okay with my approach, while also understanding why some people might feel different. If I ever stopped losing without explanation, the first thing I would do would be to tighten up these areas.

Some examples that some weigh:
    There are some who weigh pre-packaged foods. Is that snickers bar really the 52g it claims it is?
    Bread- many here will weigh every slice, and with good reason. Most slices weigh more than the serving size indicates. That could mean 10+ more calories per slice.
    Eggs- being that they aren't portioned in a factory obviously don't all weigh the same. So there's room for a few calorie difference between them.
    Fruit- whats a medium banana anyway?
    Spices- already said
    Coffee- some places/brands actually call each 8oz cup 5 calories.

The greater room for error, in my opinion, is in eating out. The difference in one chain's "scoop of rice" could be very different than another location, leading to a difference of 50 calories or more.

IMO it's when you rely on Fitbits and such to estimate your TDEE that you really want to be accurate... 100 extra calories here and there might be a big deal if your fitbit says that you burn 1500 calories a day and you're trying to lose by eating 1300. I mean, when I was guessing my TDEE, 100 calories was not a huge deal - it's like a 15 minutes walk. But now that I use a fitbit again and tend to rely on that, I can't really afford to be off too much in my logging - because my fitbit will register that 15 minutes walk.

I DO like to weigh items I'm not familiar with to check for inaccuracies though - Graze snacks for example can be off by 70 calories sometimes.
  • hellobaconplease
    hellobaconplease Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    How about not spraying oil on your pain, and just measuring out a few grams of butter or something? Everything seems to come in a can in America.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Might be time to pick up a better pan if it requires more than a quick spray.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options

One size doesn't fit all, which was kinda my point. Suggesting that anyone can burn 250 cals by taking 1,000 steps is silly.

I don't know what MMF is but I use Apple Watch.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

One size doesn't fit all, which was kinda my point. Suggesting that anyone can burn 250 cals by taking 1,000 steps is silly.

where did I say you can burn 250 calories in 1k steps...I said 78 could be overcome with an extra 1k steps...

MMF is map my fitness..and I use a tracker as well.

• SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    How about not spraying oil on your pain, and just measuring out a few grams of butter or something? Everything seems to come in a can in America.

Because butter will burn at high temperatures. Nothing wrong with oil.* If you don't want to spray it, put a little on a paper towel (or cloth) and rub the pan with the paper towel.

*Nothing wrong with butter either - but you usually have to combine with with a little oil or cook at lower temperatures to prevent the burning.
  • Gotrek1
    Gotrek1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    3 oz of pam spray is 3 oz of canola oil... That's like taking shots of canola oil...
  • suzievv
    suzievv Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    It might not be as high as 26 calories. A one-second spray should have about 9 calories. I use a spray that is 7 calories for a 1-second spray.

Yep, I log all the calories. I agree, they can add up. And if I don't have time to be super accurate, or I'm accidentally inaccurate, or miss 26 calories, whatever, that's nothing to stress about.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    If you have a small deficit or are not losing, then looking for hidden calories or other ways to improve your accuracy: good idea. Many times in the past I've done a pretty generic spray/3 seconds log for something like this. I don't time or weigh it, but if I'm going for high accuracy I figure logging something for it is better than logging nothing. And it does not all go on the food.

But yes, 0 cal foods do have cals, just not enough in a single 'serving' to make them have to report it. Kind of a marketing gimick I think, as if you make the serving size small enough everything is under .5g and rounds down.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Maybe 1k steps out, and 1k steps back again? And repeat 4x. Brisk walk puts me about 4 cals/minute beyond my BMR so to burn off an extra 250 cals I'm looking at an hour of walking.

When I was first losing I was highly accurate. Now I approximate more but think my approximations make up for some of the little calories that get overlooked. Like when I add parmesean cheese to veggies to bake in the oven: I weigh out 4-5g and log that. But some of it stays in the pan, not to be consumed.

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options

where did I say you can burn 250 calories in 1k steps...I said 78 could be overcome with an extra 1k steps...

MMF is map my fitness..and I use a tracker as well.

You didn't, I was replying to somebody else who did say that and then you jumped in. It's up there in this quote nest if you expand it.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,148 Member
    Options
    Meh, that is an over kill and way too much time consuming.

I don't log spices unless they are part of my recipe and only because I want to remember what I used; not for the calories. I don't log any vitamins and supplements or Pam/vegetable spray. I don't log chewing gum or any cough drop or medicine. I didn' do it when I was losing and I am not doing it now that I am on maintenance.