Peanut butter

Options
2»

Replies

• Fitgirllife72
    Fitgirllife72 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I had to ban peanut butter for myself. I can eat it half a jar at a time. I have zero self control with it.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I luv and rely on PB in my diet, put two tlbs in my morning oatmeal to give it some protein and fat, so I don't get hungry for awhile. Measuring it keeps me from going overboard.
  • tides57
    tides57 Posts: 27 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Emily3907 wrote: »
    I like crunchy peanut butter in oatmeal for breakfast, especially before a workout. If you're getting PB craving later on in the day, half a spoonful in a little oatmeal (say, 25g) might assuage your cravings and fill you up at the same time.

I am seeing PB in oatmeal as a suggestion everywhere. I am going to have to try that. Sounds yummy.

It is really, really, really good! Really good, in fact :-)
  • tides57
    tides57 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Word on the web says that peanut butter cravings indicate you're not getting enough magnesium in your diet. My daughter told me this when I complained about my own fierce peanut butter cravings. (I have lots of food allergies so a deficiency is plausible.) I began supplementing magnesium and the cravings subsided. I still like peanut butter but I can now stop at a teaspoon with no trouble. Maybe it's the power of suggestion, who knows. I'm not about to get skeptical about the science or lack of it because it worked. Please don't burst my happy little bubble :-)
  • LisaEatSleepRun
    LisaEatSleepRun Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    For me, peanut butter has replace ice cream, cake, cookies, and other deserts. I'm reduced to a spoonful of peanut butter or a square of dark chocolate

Yeah me too. However, 20-30 grams of peanut butter the night before a run (9 km this AM) gives me the energy i need to finish my runs without major discomfort! I don't eat before a run, so this night time delight is working wonders for my endurance. I could easily eat a lot more.... but the scales wouldn't be going south that's for sure!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,989 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I have a small jar of creamy Jif on hand all of the time but I am not addicted to peanut butter.

I'll dip in the jar for a teaspoon or 2 every now and then but apparently not too often since a jar will last me about a year.

I also bought some powdered PB awhile back but after a test taste haven't eaten sny since. Just not the same as "real" PB.

LOL! ;)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Sez I, reading the OP with the remains of a 29 gram slice of homemade wheat bread smeared with 12 grams of Smucker's Natural Chunky,: Party on, dude.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I also bought some powdered PB awhile back but after a test taste haven't eaten sny since. Just not the same as "real" PB.
    I heard of powdered PB but have never seen/tried it. I was assuming it was more of a survival food than a regular use kinda thing.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I bring it in the house, do okay for a serving or two (weighing and logging), then I just go bananas. I have actually had to get rid of a few jars, and I've had to drown them in water and not just throw them away...so I wouldn't be tempted. It's bad.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    tides57 wrote: »
    Word on the web says that peanut butter cravings indicate you're not getting enough magnesium in your diet. My daughter told me this when I complained about my own fierce peanut butter cravings. (I have lots of food allergies so a deficiency is plausible.) I began supplementing magnesium and the cravings subsided. I still like peanut butter but I can now stop at a teaspoon with no trouble. Maybe it's the power of suggestion, who knows. I'm not about to get skeptical about the science or lack of it because it worked. Please don't burst my happy little bubble :-)

It's plausible. I seem to crave chocolate like mad when I neglect taking magnesium, and chocolate is one of the richest dietary sources of magnesium.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    tides57 wrote: »

Eh, I don't know. I take high dose magnesium supplements as part of my migraine protocol, and... I still get mad peanut butter cravings.
  • Mom2Maika
    Mom2Maika Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and chocolate are my two best friends, and worst enemies at the same time. I strongly believe I'm addicted to them. Once I taste them, I usually can't stop and end of bingeing like crazy on them. I'm starting to wonder whether complete abstinence is the way to go for me. RIP PB