What's your Bench 1RM?

Options

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    In for Jo growing balls and them turning gray.
    She can have mine.

I thought your wife had them locked up.

Or is that just mine?
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    Obeg wrote: »
    169lbs and 275lb 1RM as of this week.

I did your standard lifting for many years and my 1RM was around 235.
    I began training 5x5 which has the main goal of increasing your strength (and thus 1RM) on a core set of lifts including the BP and it raised to 260. This was November of 2015. I was experiencing shoulder and bicep pain so I went to the doctor and he told me to stop doing what I was going because my body was way out of balance (chest dominate) and if I kept on I would tear a labrum and/or bicep. So I stopped for 3 months but had that "itch". So I joined a CrossFit box in hopes that I would be able to balance my body and keep in shape. "Conventional Wisdom" on CrossFit is that you don't get huge strength gains but you get fit. At my age and with what the doctor told me - I was fine with that.

Fast forward 9 months to this week. We had to 1RM in BP in class. Now we seldom ever flat bench press in CrossFit. I think we have done it one other time, done incline a half a dozen times, and maybe dumbbell presses here and there. So I expected my 1RM to be down. I racked 250 and asked for a spot because I didn't think it would come up... but it flew up. I finally finished at 275 - a 15lb 1RM increase after 9 months of CrossFit. I was shocked and should dispel some of the negatives about not gaining strength in Crossfit. In fact, all the normal 5x5 metrics have increased in 1RM over the time: Deadlift, Squat, and Overhead Press.

You get a lot of pressing work overhead in Crossfit and because of the Olympic lifting emphasis in CF, the bench press is little more than accessory for Crossfitters. For a powerlifter overhead pressing movements are a great accessory for us, that helps move the weight in a bench press. However, just think how strong to could be in the bench press if you benched two or three times a week?

Boxes are slowly coming around to actual methodical strength training. The local box I drop in at (I CF for Conditioning) runs 531 for the powerlifts, however they only train squat, bench press, and deadlift once every three weeks. Still, it's something of an improvement over "constantly varied constantly all the time constantly" of Crossfit programming of ages past.
    Options
    In for Jo growing balls and them turning gray.
    She can have mine.

I thought your wife had them locked up.

Or is that just mine?
    Not with those cold hands! Gesh!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I need balls.

I don't think I'll be able to bench 300 without them. sigh. damn this vagina.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I need balls.

Same feels.
    Dudes will never understand the pee whilst deads/squats thing either.
    Life is unfair.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I need balls.

Same feels.
    Life is unfair.

no. they won't. :( I love being a woman- but gah- sometimes it massively sucks.

I make it a point to talk about it(re the pee thing) so it's more normal- I'm tired of feeling like it's weird- it's not- it's a reality- and I"m not trying to have someone side eye me when it happens.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Z_I_L_L_A wrote: »
    I know you didn't technically ask, but "training chest" isn't always the best way to build your bench press. Triceps and a big back will add a lot to your bench as well.

I'm somewhere around 375lbs Paused at the moment. Probably somewhere around 385-390 Touch and Go. Body weight sitting around 255-260

Training for bench 3x/week currently.

Totally agree on having a good back. The width of my grip is the same on everything to mimick the bench, ohp, pullovers etc. But I've noticed heavy straight bar pullovers and heavy tricep work gets me moving up in the bench.

it's the only reason I have a good bench.
    My back is huge. (I'd say for a girl but Eff that- my back is just huge) #noshame

So you're have to turn sideways to go through doors big? Hell yeah! Just pullovers will make a big difference.
    I assume you mean these guys?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tjQdZ8X37A

yes- I do them. I are large and incharge marge man. But- I mean- I could be bigger. ;)just saying.

I do those. But bench grip on a barbell. They are mostly for shoulder stability in the case of a horrible handoff, at least that's what my coach tells me.

Also, a ton of tricep, delt, and back work. My rowing volume is almost as high as my bench volume most of the time.

The straight bar pullovers with arms bent 90 degrees. Sets of 115,135,155 and 185. But you're right, make sure you get a lift off the floor. These pullovers kicked my bench up a notch.

wait- you do these on the floor? did I read that right?

Lay long ways on a bench, arms bent 90 degrees, pullovers from the floor to the chest. Heavy, you need someone to hand you the bar from the floor while standing behind you.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I know you didn't technically ask, but "training chest" isn't always the best way to build your bench press. Triceps and a big back will add a lot to your bench as well.

I'm somewhere around 375lbs Paused at the moment. Probably somewhere around 385-390 Touch and Go. Body weight sitting around 255-260

Training for bench 3x/week currently.

Totally agree on having a good back. The width of my grip is the same on everything to mimick the bench, ohp, pullovers etc. But I've noticed heavy straight bar pullovers and heavy tricep work gets me moving up in the bench.

it's the only reason I have a good bench.
    My back is huge. (I'd say for a girl but Eff that- my back is just huge) #noshame

So you're have to turn sideways to go through doors big? Hell yeah! Just pullovers will make a big difference.
    I assume you mean these guys?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tjQdZ8X37A

yes- I do them. I are large and incharge marge man. But- I mean- I could be bigger. ;)just saying.

I do those. But bench grip on a barbell. They are mostly for shoulder stability in the case of a horrible handoff, at least that's what my coach tells me.

Also, a ton of tricep, delt, and back work. My rowing volume is almost as high as my bench volume most of the time.

The straight bar pullovers with arms bent 90 degrees. Sets of 115,135,155 and 185. But you're right, make sure you get a lift off the floor. These pullovers kicked my bench up a notch.

wait- you do these on the floor? did I read that right?

Lay long ways on a bench, arms bent 90 degrees, pullovers from the floor to the chest. Heavy, you need someone to hand you the bar from the floor while standing behind you.

AHHHHHHHH_ yeah- I actually like doing mine less supported- perpendicular to the bench with a DB. I usually go 50-60 pounds on them- but I don't/can't/won't go all the way to the floor- I don't think I could reach anyway.

I feel like my shoulderblades are fighting a losing battle with the bench when I do long ways. so uncomfortable.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    I do DB pullovers perpendicular to with arms slightly bent up to 125#. Straight bar you have to lock you feet under the bench with arms 90 degree bent, I go up to 155# mostly.
    Options
    I need balls.

When I stroll around at a meet in my singlet I wish I didn't have balls.

Looks like I have big balls.
    Options
    I need balls.

Same feels.
    Life is unfair.

no. they won't. :( I love being a woman- but gah- sometimes it massively sucks.

I make it a point to talk about it(re the pee thing) so it's more normal- I'm tired of feeling like it's weird- it's not- it's a reality- and I"m not trying to have someone side eye me when it happens.

I've heard Meg Squats talk on Mark Bells power cast that is something that can be corrected.
    How? Got me. I'm a guy.
  • Fatmuscleguy
    Fatmuscleguy Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    190lbs(at the time) 1RM was 260lbs
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options

I've heard Meg Squats talk on Mark Bells power cast that is something that can be corrected.
    How? Got me. I'm a guy.

Stress incontinence is very common among female athletes as they tend to have a very strong core without *as* strong of a pelvic floor so when the core muscles contract it pushes on the bladder and the only place urine can go is down/ out.

It can definitely be prevented or at least minimized.
    -Learning to brace correctly- pushing "out" and not "down" with your abs. One of my acquaintances gushes pee during stones and dl events on strongman and I'm convinced she bears down when bracing. Not sure how to approach that conversation though >.> Don't prolapse your parts ladies!
    -Pelvic floor exercises (kegels) done correctly. Iso holds for 10 seconds and quick pulses. Progression with these comes from positioning. Start lying when that gets easy then seated, then during activity (walking) and eventually while squatting or whatever causes you to pee.
    -Emptying your bladder before lifting all the weights.

84kg class (185lb) training for 4 years. I normally bench once a week, but was about to add a 2nd day when I had to stop benching temporarily to rehab an unrelated shoulder issue. 190 TnG and 175 paused. Sigh. At least it's better than it used to be, and thank goodness I have a nice squat and deadlift.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    slefko wrote: »
    Unfortunately my 1RM for benching is not nearly where I would like it to be, at only 95lbs. I don't bench nearly as much as I need, I find myself gravitating towards squatting and deadlifts, I just generally like them more.

This is me. I finally decided to try benching today and my 1RM is 95lbs. I need to try to incorporate it more. I'm working with a trainer 1x a week and have 6 more sessions, but we always do squats, deadlifts, split jerks, and we started working on cleans today. I told her I wanted to focus on my lower body bc do pole, so my upper body is pretty strong, but I need to do better at balancing.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    For all of you massive benchers. Including you Jo. Do you guys do strictly barbell 2-3x a week or one of those days do you incorporate dumbell as well? All my lifts including OH press are moving, but bench has to be the most stubborn. I'm using phat with wendler currently so im not just jumping into it. Just curious if you guys do variations. I am going for astetics as well as strength, hoping to compete in both hence the strength/hypertrophy program.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Fittreelol wrote: »

How? Got me. I'm a guy.

Stress incontinence is very common among female athletes as they tend to have a very strong core without *as* strong of a pelvic floor so when the core muscles contract it pushes on the bladder and the only place urine can go is down/ out.

It can definitely be prevented or at least minimized.
    -Learning to brace correctly- pushing "out" and not "down" with your abs. One of my acquaintances gushes pee during stones and dl events on strongman and I'm convinced she bears down when bracing. Not sure how to approach that conversation though >.> Don't prolapse your parts ladies!
    -Pelvic floor exercises (kegels) done correctly. Iso holds for 10 seconds and quick pulses. Progression with these comes from positioning. Start lying when that gets easy then seated, then during activity (walking) and eventually while squatting or whatever causes you to pee.
    -Emptying your bladder before lifting all the weights.

84kg class (185lb) training for 4 years. I normally bench once a week, but was about to add a 2nd day when I had to stop benching temporarily to rehab an unrelated shoulder issue. 190 TnG and 175 paused. Sigh. At least it's better than it used to be, and thank goodness I have a nice squat and deadlift.

I'm interested in following up on this- 1 rep max DL = my bladder completely voiding itself essentially.
    I pee before EVER big life. - doesn't matter on DL.... what ever-last-drop- all of it- if It's a complete effort- it's like I"M DONE_ HAD ENOUGH_ BYE FELICIA- and it all goes. :( DL are my worst- squats it happens- but DL recently- this year- the worst.

But definitely interested in following up with the Mark Bell/Meg Squats topic.
    jessef593 wrote: »
    For all of you massive benchers. Including you Jo. Do you guys do strictly barbell 2-3x a week or one of those days do you incorporate dumbell as well? All my lifts including OH press are moving, but bench has to be the most stubborn. I'm using phat with wendler currently so im not just jumping into it. Just curious if you guys do variations. I am going for astetics as well as strength, hoping to compete in both hence the strength/hypertrophy program.

I flat bench 3 times a week. And DB fly.

Big bench is purely from my big back. so pull ups and triceps too- but I have *kitten* elbows- so pull ups. ;)
    Options
    I run 531 too, and I love it but the only issue I had with it is that it is a bro split and I wasn't getting enough time under the bar benching and squatting. I modified the program to include two more squat and bench days by adding two more deloads of each throughout the week. Result: both lifts went up and the movement itself became more efficient.

As with others, I've developed my back -- especially my lats -- to assist in my bench efforts.

And yes, I still employed dumbbell (and bodyweight) work, but for hypertrophy.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

I change my programming every four weeks. The chest program I'm on now, I do 4 sets of flat barbell bench. The rest is isolation for the most part. I only train chest once a week.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    Even back in the day I wouldn't bench 3 times a week, I was power lifting not crossfit,lol. At 34, I had a heavy day and a med.heavy day. Heavy day was warm up to a max, drop 20 lbs each set but add 2 reps. Medium heavy was 5X5 with what ever I could get for 5X5, I do inclines the same way, then incline DB presses. Lots of tricep and back work. 4 months out of the year I do rack lockouts, rack work was brutal but would add 50-75 lbs to bench max. Now days at 50, I max out once every 4-6 weeks. I bench once a week, save the joints. I do super hi reps with 135 lbs 4 sets of 50-60 reps first week, Second week is 225 for max reps 30-35 with 3 sets of max reps afterwards. 3rd week is 315 for max reps hoping 10-12 tomorrow morning. 4th week single max, drop 20 for 2 reps, drop 20 for 4 reps, drop 20 for 6 reps. Lots a pullovers straight bar and DB, lots of tricep work. I'm old and dusty but hope to compete again in the masters. Now days it's preserving the joints, working around injuries. I go by how I feel, old school. I don't follow internet programs that originated from old school stuff. They act like they just invented something,lol, when this stuff has been around forever. The only difference now days is nutrition and supplements. We didn't have GNC or internet sites, we just ate and smashed records. JMHO Stay hungry my friends.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I run 531 too, and I love it but the only issue I had with it is that it is a bro split and I wasn't getting enough time under the bar benching and squatting. I modified the program to include two more squat and bench days by adding two more deloads of each throughout the week. Result: both lifts went up and the movement itself became more efficient.

As with others, I've developed my back -- especially my lats -- to assist in my bench efforts.

And yes, I still employed dumbbell (and bodyweight) work, but for hypertrophy.

This may be the first time I've ever heard/seen 5/3/1 referred to as a brosplit. Back when I was doing full 5/3/1, I did squat volume after heavy deads and bench volume after heavy OHP and vice versa. I still follow that basic idea, although OHP is the only one I'm currently using 5/3/1 programming for.

We're doing a bastardized Westside for bench. As such, it's almost all barbell work, but we do incorporate dumbbells from time to time - sometimes as our backoff/volume work, sometimes as our main work. The 2nd day I do is purely barbell volume - after OHP, as noted above.