What's your Bench 1RM?

Options

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    and since we are sharing with the class room- here are both the 200 and "225" lift- as you can see- no where near legal- but I drove that ish.

Crazy mobility. I'm jelly.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Z_I_L_L_A wrote: »
    I know you didn't technically ask, but "training chest" isn't always the best way to build your bench press. Triceps and a big back will add a lot to your bench as well.

I'm somewhere around 375lbs Paused at the moment. Probably somewhere around 385-390 Touch and Go. Body weight sitting around 255-260

Training for bench 3x/week currently.

Totally agree on having a good back. The width of my grip is the same on everything to mimick the bench, ohp, pullovers etc. But I've noticed heavy straight bar pullovers and heavy tricep work gets me moving up in the bench.

it's the only reason I have a good bench.
    My back is huge. (I'd say for a girl but Eff that- my back is just huge) #noshame

So you're have to turn sideways to go through doors big? Hell yeah! Just pullovers will make a big difference.
    I assume you mean these guys?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tjQdZ8X37A

yes- I do them. I are large and incharge marge man. But- I mean- I could be bigger. ;)just saying.

I do those. But bench grip on a barbell. They are mostly for shoulder stability in the case of a horrible handoff, at least that's what my coach tells me.

Also, a ton of tricep, delt, and back work. My rowing volume is almost as high as my bench volume most of the time.
  • MajinSaiyan
    MajinSaiyan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just started hitting the gym maybe a few months ago? So I have tried a 1RM since I also work out alone. Right now I'm at 4 sets of 125 for 8 reps each set. I have gotten to 135 though, but I can't rep that much.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I know you didn't technically ask, but "training chest" isn't always the best way to build your bench press. Triceps and a big back will add a lot to your bench as well.

I'm somewhere around 375lbs Paused at the moment. Probably somewhere around 385-390 Touch and Go. Body weight sitting around 255-260

Totally agree on having a good back. The width of my grip is the same on everything to mimick the bench, ohp, pullovers etc. But I've noticed heavy straight bar pullovers and heavy tricep work gets me moving up in the bench.

My back is huge. (I'd say for a girl but Eff that- my back is just huge) #noshame

So you're have to turn sideways to go through doors big? Hell yeah! Just pullovers will make a big difference.

yes- I do them. I are large and incharge marge man. But- I mean- I could be bigger. ;)just saying.

I do those. But bench grip on a barbell. They are mostly for shoulder stability in the case of a horrible handoff, at least that's what my coach tells me.

Also, a ton of tricep, delt, and back work. My rowing volume is almost as high as my bench volume most of the time.

The straight bar pullovers with arms bent 90 degrees. Sets of 115,135,155 and 185. But you're right, make sure you get a lift off the floor. These pullovers kicked my bench up a notch.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    and since we are sharing with the class room- here are both the 200 and "225" lift- as you can see- no where near legal- but I drove that ish.

Two wheels - kick butt!
  • redfiona99
    redfiona99 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    My bench is my greatest failing.

I do 10 rep sets for 30 kg, which the calculators think gives me a 88 lb 1RM. Neither of my work outs are chest exclusive, they're both full body.
    Options
    pdxhak wrote: »
    How do people calculate a 1RM? Never heard of that.

Currently
    BW: 175 lbs
    1RM: 285 lbs
    @pdxhak

Many ways to do it, but the easiest way is to use a rep calculator.

http://www.ivannikolov.com/calculators/rep-max-calculator/

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/other7.htm

http://symmetricstrength.com

http://www.timinvermont.com/fitness/orm.htm

There are others online that use different algorithms. I have an app on my phone that does this for me.

Curious how you rate among other lifters? These database will give you an idea.

http://strengthlevel.com

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.htm
  • Obeg
    Obeg Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    169lbs and 275lb 1RM as of this week.

I did your standard lifting for many years and my 1RM was around 235.
    I began training 5x5 which has the main goal of increasing your strength (and thus 1RM) on a core set of lifts including the BP and it raised to 260. This was November of 2015. I was experiencing shoulder and bicep pain so I went to the doctor and he told me to stop doing what I was going because my body was way out of balance (chest dominate) and if I kept on I would tear a labrum and/or bicep. So I stopped for 3 months but had that "itch". So I joined a CrossFit box in hopes that I would be able to balance my body and keep in shape. "Conventional Wisdom" on CrossFit is that you don't get huge strength gains but you get fit. At my age and with what the doctor told me - I was fine with that.

Fast forward 9 months to this week. We had to 1RM in BP in class. Now we seldom ever flat bench press in CrossFit. I think we have done it one other time, done incline a half a dozen times, and maybe dumbbell presses here and there. So I expected my 1RM to be down. I racked 250 and asked for a spot because I didn't think it would come up... but it flew up. I finally finished at 275 - a 15lb 1RM increase after 9 months of CrossFit. I was shocked and should dispel some of the negatives about not gaining strength in Crossfit. In fact, all the normal 5x5 metrics have increased in 1RM over the time: Deadlift, Squat, and Overhead Press.

• Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Nice!!! AND repping GRRRL gear - love it!
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    My bench is always 90-120 lbs more than I weigh its insane how consistent this has been over the course of 30 plus years.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Crazy mobility. I'm jelly.

Thanks- being a dancer can be handy LOL. My only complaint is it's not even- I have very limited upper cervical/thoracic- it's very lumbar oriented- so I wish it was a more even spread- but a work in progress.

Two wheels - kick butt!
    That was a huge day for me- putting up two plates- even if it was dirty and ugly- it's been a long dream of mine to bench 225. Gotta get that cleaned up- and then on to 250- I'm running out of time before I get to old!!! GO GO GOG!!!

Nice!!! AND repping GRRRL gear - love it!

I love my grrrl gear- I'm a die hard fan- I don't buy anything EVER full price- or name brand- but these folks- I have racked up quiet a bit on my CC for them. #shameless
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I love my grrrl gear- I'm a die hard fan- I don't buy anything EVER full price- or name brand- but these folks- I have racked up quiet a bit on my CC for them. #shameless

Same!! I see a $40 pair of Adidas pants in the store and go, "are they out of their minds???" Then I go home and spend $120 on the Grrrl website :D I have problems.
  • JoRocka
    Options

Same!! I see a $40 pair of Adidas pants in the store and go, "are they out of their minds???" Then I go home and spend $120 on the Grrrl website :D I have problems.

pretty much.

I think they said they were releasing new products today actually- I'm anxiously checking my phone to see.
    I think the wild cat leggings are literally an pantgasm. If it wasn't a thing- it is now.
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    That was a huge day for me- putting up two plates- even if it was dirty and ugly- it's been a long dream of mine to bench 225. Gotta get that cleaned up- and then on to 250- I'm running out of time before I get to old!!! GO GO GOG!!!
    Old? Come back to me when your 45 and have wrinkled gray balls.

Still that Bench Press of yours, while not competition ready, still very impressive. Many guys at my gym can barely do that on the Smith Machine.

• Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    A little sloppy and a cell phone video (Sorry no spotter) but here I am benching 205lbs 20 times at 205lbs of weight a year ago. I weigh 180-185 now and if I trained for it I could more than likely do it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnI4V-Ws254
  • JoRocka
    Options

The straight bar pullovers with arms bent 90 degrees. Sets of 115,135,155 and 185. But you're right, make sure you get a lift off the floor. These pullovers kicked my bench up a notch.

wait- you do these on the floor? did I read that right?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    In for Jo growing balls and them turning gray.
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    In for Jo growing balls and them turning gray.
    She can have mine.