Options
2»

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    But do you like yourself?

How to deal with your first statement depends on how you answer that question.
  • HappyGrape
    HappyGrape Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

you posted in maintenance. Did you hit your goal weight and you find still need to work on self acceptance? It's pretty common, and you need to work on it. As we all do. There is a lot of looking for improvement areas and looking with critical eye during weight loss. Once you hit the goal, there must be some element of ... letting this critical eye go and learning to live more. Love your life more. Fill your life with things you love, do something for others, stop looking to find things that are wrong.

@Orphia nailed it with her question
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Strong first post.
  • frannieshack
    frannieshack Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, society teaches us that we are never good enough. We all come in different shapes and sizes, that is what makes this world a wonderful place! Learn to accept yourself as you are now. Focus on your improving health, and your successes.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Society--specifically Western modernized society--teaches us to hate our bodies.

We hate them because they don't measure up to an ideal that is Photoshopped, airbrushed, or even animated. Or often subjected to surgery, heavy cosmetics, and camera tricks. Very often it is very specific, (age 21, white, blond, blue eyed, D cup).

It's the idea that we are only good enough if we measure up to something that actually doesn't exist.

And if we don't measure up to that, we're supposed to subject our bodies to modification as if they were machines that just need upgrading.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,293 Member
    Options
    Strong first post.

Empathetic 3,241st one.
  • daintyflower526
    daintyflower526 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I hate it and how I've treated it. I'm 47 years old. At 34 I had to have open heart to fix a hole I had in my heart. I was so upset after that surgery and became addicted to narcotics. I allowed myself to gain upwards of 30 pounds and began having lots of knee problems. During the past 14 months I've had to have both of my knees replaced. Now that I'm a grandmother , I want to be able to be there for my kids and those babies. I've started eating better and exercising more. I still don't like my body but I'm hoping that in time we can enjoy each other again. Good luck to you.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I hated my body. Then I gained a lot of weight and really hated it. Now, I've lost all that weight and discovered that, damn, that old body wasn't so bad after all. I wasn't out of proportion, my boobs weren't too small (I'm sure there would be some dissent over that opinion), my thighs weren't too big, my butt wasn't too big either. It's all perspective. Don't hate your body, do what you can to make yourself feel better whether it's losing some weight, getting in shape or just taking a good hard look at yourself and realizing it's not so bad.
  • nycalling6192
    nycalling6192 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I also hate my body: it's why I'm busting my butt working out and eating healthy as opposed to gorging myself on Pad Thai and Pizza.

It's OK to hate your body to an extent, as long as you use that positively to work on yourself.
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I hated my obese body. I even hated my body when I achieved goal weight. But now 1.5 years into maintenance my body has stabilized. The wiggly flabby parts are getting firm and I now love my body!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I hate your body too. I'm so glad I have my own.
  • emnarogsi
    emnarogsi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I didnt start disliking my weight until so someone in my family started pointing out that i was gaining weight and then i learned im 181lbs.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I hate my body

Maybe you need couple's therapy (meaning between you and your body.) You can't exactly get a divorce.
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where to take this post... but when I hit maintenance, I was very disappointed that my ideal body weight didn't leave me looking the way I thought I should. I noticed more changes in maintenance + lifting than I ever did in a deficit, so maybe it's time to re-evaulate your goals. :) The body you want is in there, you just have to keep molding it.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    It's ok to hate what you did to your body, ok to change what you do to your body, and ok to love your body without it being POTUS's nice piece of kitten.