What are you currently reading?

Options

Replies

• Lynxie83
    Lynxie83 Posts: 246
    Options
    Flipping between Deadline by Mira Grant (2nd in series politcal thriller set in zombie environment - not as good as first book but plodding on) and Ulitmate Leadership by Russell Palmer (very good considering it was a free kindle book and is textbooky read).

When those are finished I will move onto On the Beach by Neville Shute.

Recommendations for good dystopian fiction will be gratefully recieved.

Now, I haven't read this yet - it's still on my giant list of books to read - Divergent by Veronica Roth has gotten fantastic reviews if you haven't read it yet. Veronica has also released a sequel 'Insurgent' too.

I've read, but didn't like this one but it has won all sorts of awards. Genesis by Bernard Beckett

If you're not on Goodreads.com you should think about having a look. It's a great reading site :bigsmile:

This is me on GR: http://www.goodreads.com/Lynxie
  • misslegz
    misslegz Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Just finished Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. This is a MUST read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also recently finished 11/22/63 by Stephen King, which was wonderful!

I just read a review for this book...it sounds awesome...it is on my list of next reads.
  • amrita0286
    Options
    The Hypnotist by Lars Kepler
  • candycanelover
    Options
    The Bible
  • candycanelover
    Options
    Loved the movie!
  • Smiling_Sara
    Smiling_Sara Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    50 shades darker
  • leeanneowens
    leeanneowens Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan
  • MouseTmom
    MouseTmom Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I always have several books going at one time but right now I am working on 3 different John Grisham books - The Street Lawyer is upstairs, The Last Juror is downstairs and The Pelican Brief is in the car for during luch breaks!
  • Smiling_Sara
    Smiling_Sara Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Just finished Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. This is a MUST read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also recently finished 11/22/63 by Stephen King, which was wonderful!

On my list next is gone girl!!
  • Titanuim
    Titanuim Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Flipping between Deadline by Mira Grant (2nd in series politcal thriller set in zombie environment - not as good as first book but plodding on) and Ulitmate Leadership by Russell Palmer (very good considering it was a free kindle book and is textbooky read).

Now, I haven't read this yet - it's still on my giant list of books to read - Divergent by Veronica Roth has gotten fantastic reviews if you haven't read it yet. Veronica has also released a sequel 'Insurgent' too.

I've read, but didn't like this one but it has won all sorts of awards. Genesis by Bernard Beckett

If you're not on Goodreads.com you should think about having a look. It's a great reading site :bigsmile:

Thanks for the recommendation. I was a bit non plussed with Deadline but there was a great twist at the end and made book 3 in the series a great read despite the distinct lack of zombies in a zombie themed book.

Yesterday I read I, Zombie by Hugh Howie (who wrote the excellent Wool series) which was written from the perspective of the zombies. Disturbing but compelling. Now I am in the middle of Orxy and Crake by Margaret Atwood which is another dystopia themed book that I would rate as disturbing but compelling. A kindle can be a dangerous thing for a compulsive reader - instant access to a bookstore day or night.
  • Lynxie83
    Lynxie83 Posts: 246
    Options

Thanks for the recommendation. I was a bit non plussed with Deadline but there was a great twist at the end and made book 3 in the series a great read despite the distinct lack of zombies in a zombie themed book.

Yesterday I read I, Zombie by Hugh Howie (who wrote the excellent Wool series) which was written from the perspective of the zombies. Disturbing but compelling. Now I am in the middle of Orxy and Crake by Margaret Atwood which is another dystopia themed book that I would rate as disturbing but compelling. A kindle can be a dangerous thing for a compulsive reader - instant access to a bookstore day or night.

Yeah, Wool is on my TBR list... Currently over 1600 books strong. About 15 yrs reading there :)

Dystopian books aren't my bread and butter, but I do enjoy them from time to time.

Another one I haven't read, but it is hot off the press is: The Moon Dwellers by David Estes, you should check it out! :)

Oh and I am currently reading: A Hero's Rise by J.R Mortellaro
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options

Oryx and Crake was a good one. I really like Margaret Atwood.

I've definitely been on a zombie kick lately. I'm currently reading Monster Nation by David Wellington and Rise Again by Ben Tripp.
  • VictorianJade
    VictorianJade Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Currently:
    The Complete words of Edgar Allen Poe
    Kathy Reichs - Break No Bones
    Jane Yolen - Dreamweaver
  • ninjakitty81
    Options
    Paradise lost: John Milton
    Old French Fairy Tales: Sophie Ségur
    Japanese fairy tales: Yei Theodora Ozaki
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Harry Potter - Chamber of Secrets!
  • lm4680
    lm4680 Posts: 11
    Options
    Just started The Fall of the Giants...
    Just finished Rush Home Road by Lari Lansens - really enjoyed
  • BigMike915
    BigMike915 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Currently reading "One Second After." About halfway through it and really enjoying it. It is kind of surreal knowing that what the book is about could happen at anytime.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Currently reading "One Second After." About halfway through it and really enjoying it. It is kind of surreal knowing that what the book is about could happen at anytime.

I listened to that on a road trip a couple months ago. I really liked it. Definitely makes you think.
  • heartofviolet
    heartofviolet Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Froi of the Exiles by Melina Marchetta. Not a fan. Finnikin of the Rock was much better. Not sure what happened with Froi, but most of the things in this book are hardly palatable.
  • jennmodugno
    jennmodugno Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Ender's Shadow. For like, the 1000th time. OSC never fails to enthrall me.