Personal Question - Plastic Surgery

Options
I might be really out of line here to ask such a personal question so feel free to not respond if you don't want to share but I'm considering a skin surgery/tummy tuck after a loss of 90+ pounds. I can't make up my mind if it is just vanity particularly at my age - I'm 60. I suffer from yeast infection in the folds of loose skin and am sick of it not to mention the ridge around my hips from loose skin. Exercise will not fix this. I actually still have about 20 pounds to go but I'm trying to decide if I should do it before I go for a consultation. The waiting list for surgery is months so I want to get the ball rolling. I wanted to know if anyone has had the procedure done and any warnings/tips.

Replies

• suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I had one....I will happily admit it. I had it at 50, I only wish I had done it sooner! I still have struggles with my weight but it has redistributed and my high weight now is much less than before I got it done.

The recovery is tough but I feel like it is totally worth it! If you live alone, you will need someone with you for at least the first 2 days. After that, I needed a walker for a couple of days but really just to get up off the couch. Once I was up I could move around just fine...slow but fine.

I do think for insurance purposes you need a bit of history so if you haven't gone to the doctor for the yeast infections, you need to do so to start a paper trail.

Do it! you won't regret it! The best part...I don't have to dress to cover the tummy apron! It's gone!
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    haviegirl wrote: »
    I'm having one (and a breast lift) in about three weeks. I only lost 35 pounds, so mine is STRICTLY a vanity thing. I just want a nice flat tummy, and I don't mind admitting that. It's my body and I can do whatever I want with it! I'm 54 years old.

Good for you! That will hurt for sure...I had liposuction in a few places with mine which hurt waaaaaaaaay more than I thought it would! fortunately I had a pain pump.

You will enjoy the flat tummy! I do! But for me, it had to be a one and done. I can see why plastic surgery is a slippery slope...I have a long wish list but probably won't do it again. (I'd rather spend the money on a vacation or retiring a bit earlier!)
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I am so grateful to those of you who have shared. I never thought of trying my work insurance to cover it! I live in Canada and basic health care might cover some but hadn't even thought of my other insurance. Thanks for the suggestion! I'm terrified because I don't want to stop walking. I'm also curious how much weight was lost for the skin removed? I'm thinking 5 or 10 pounds or so? I know everyone would be different but with over 100 pounds gone once I'm done 5 to 10 seems reasonable. Any thoughts?
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I want to say my husband's was around 11lbs. They also removed 2L of fat.
  • haviegirl
    haviegirl Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    suruda wrote: »
    haviegirl wrote: »
    I'm having one (and a breast lift) in about three weeks. I only lost 35 pounds, so mine is STRICTLY a vanity thing. I just want a nice flat tummy, and I don't mind admitting that. It's my body and I can do whatever I want with it! I'm 54 years old.

Good for you! That will hurt for sure...I had liposuction in a few places with mine which hurt waaaaaaaaay more than I thought it would! fortunately I had a pain pump.

You will enjoy the flat tummy! I do! But for me, it had to be a one and done. I can see why plastic surgery is a slippery slope...I have a long wish list but probably won't do it again. (I'd rather spend the money on a vacation or retiring a bit earlier!)

Lol, you caught me. This is not my first rodeo...but as far as I can tell, it should be my last.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Congrats on the loss! You still have 20# to go, nearly 20% of your total. That's a lot of change yet to take place, and it will, especially if you're a l see our working out. I don't know how you can decide now whether you'll need it. But personally I avoid any surgery that isn't medically necessary. Not worth the potential risk
  • cheryldumais
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Congrats on the loss! You still have 20# to go, nearly 20% of your total. That's a lot of change yet to take place, and it will, especially if you're a l see our working out. I don't know how you can decide now whether you'll need it. But personally I avoid any surgery that isn't medically necessary. Not worth the potential risk

Yes, you are right I still have a ways to go. I also had two 9+ pound babies and have stretch marks up to my breasts. I expect some shrinkage but doubt my abdomen will ever be normal again. To get a surgery date I am likely looking at 6 to 8 months anyway and don't expect to make my goal until some time this summer. I am taking my time and as I said still trying to decide. I probably wouldn't even consider it if it weren't for the yeast infections. They crop up EVERY time I go on holiday for some reason. Don't know if you have ever had one on your skin but it's miserable. Not to mention it smells like dirty feet which is embarassing.

AnnPT77 wrote: »
    That said, I just want to add a data point. I've lost materially less weight than you have (about 60 pounds, which was around 1/3 of my body weight), and did so over 10-11 months. Even at age 59-61, I've found that my loose skin has continued to shrink since losing the weight. (I started losing at 59; after maintaining for a year, I'm now 61). It may help that I'm physically active; I don't know.

Also, in some areas (for me), I think that the last few pounds of residual fat tended to help the loose skin persist. Why? It appears that some fat areas get squishy - the fat gets less dense - before the fat goes away. That layer of softer fat seems to have enough weight to pull down on the skin and so maintain the loose skin, but once that fat was gone that was not a factor, and it seemed easier for the skin to shrink.

People say loose skin can continue to shrink for a couple of years. I don't have personal evidence on that score, since I've only been maintaining for a year. But there's been noticeable (to me) shrinking of my loose skin during that year.

Thank you so much for this information it is really good to know. Perhaps I will get rid of some of the hanging skin. I have wings under my arms and my thighs look awful as well but I would never get surgery on those parts as I don't have any medical problems with it. My hips look like two hanging sacks too so maybe there's hope there as well!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    If i had excess loose skin and had the money to do it, I would 100% get it removed. Yes, the surgery and recovery time would be scary, but well worth it in the end IMO. I'm sure if money wasn't an issue many people would get it done.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I wonder if the surgeons recommendation would be different minus another 20 lbs. Another thing to consider is whether that will be the end. I'm at goal weight, but not goal body composition. I need to gain about 15 lbs of muscle and lose similar amount of fat, which will affect the amount of loose skin since muscle is smaller than fat.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,434 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

Yes, you are right I still have a ways to go. I also had two 9+ pound babies and have stretch marks up to my breasts. I expect some shrinkage but doubt my abdomen will ever be normal again. To get a surgery date I am likely looking at 6 to 8 months anyway and don't expect to make my goal until some time this summer. I am taking my time and as I said still trying to decide. I probably wouldn't even consider it if it weren't for the yeast infections. They crop up EVERY time I go on holiday for some reason. Don't know if you have ever had one on your skin but it's miserable. Not to mention it smells like dirty feet which is embarassing.

AnnPT77 wrote: »
    That said, I just want to add a data point. I've lost materially less weight than you have (about 60 pounds, which was around 1/3 of my body weight), and did so over 10-11 months. Even at age 59-61, I've found that my loose skin has continued to shrink since losing the weight. (I started losing at 59; after maintaining for a year, I'm now 61). It may help that I'm physically active; I don't know.

Also, in some areas (for me), I think that the last few pounds of residual fat tended to help the loose skin persist. Why? It appears that some fat areas get squishy - the fat gets less dense - before the fat goes away. That layer of softer fat seems to have enough weight to pull down on the skin and so maintain the loose skin, but once that fat was gone that was not a factor, and it seemed easier for the skin to shrink.

People say loose skin can continue to shrink for a couple of years. I don't have personal evidence on that score, since I've only been maintaining for a year. But there's been noticeable (to me) shrinking of my loose skin during that year.

Thank you so much for this information it is really good to know. Perhaps I will get rid of some of the hanging skin. I have wings under my arms and my thighs look awful as well but I would never get surgery on those parts as I don't have any medical problems with it. My hips look like two hanging sacks too so maybe there's hope there as well!

People who hate ugly mental visuals should stop reading right here. I warned you!

At the time of hitting goal weight (around 120 pounds at 5'5"), I looked at my back in a mirror. I swear, my rear looked like a bulldog's face - droopy, wrinkly, eek! - not good. Still, I'd rather that than the fat. A year on, it looks like a rear end, with a bit of droop to it. No biggie, and I'm betting time some & deadlifts and such will improve the situation further. Pretty dramatic improvement in a year, if you ask me. (No , no photos! Yikes! I'm a li'l ol' lady!)

One thing about the arm wings: Be sure you know what you have. I see soooo many women who hold their arms out straight in relaxed fashion & move them back and forth, and call anything that moves "ugly" "fat" "loose skin" on their upper arms.

No. Before you do that, bend your arms upward, curl your wrists a bit, tighten your triceps (the muscles on the back of your upper arms) and generally flex like a body-builder. Now move your arms around, staying flexed. Whatever moves now might be loose skin or fat (it may also be that you're not very adept at flexing like a body-builder. ;) ).

Relaxed triceps, even on quite fit women, are mobile. If it isn't floppy when you tighten everything up, it isn't loose skin or fat, it's triceps. You can also check by holding on to the "flap" on one side with the other hand, then tightening up the side you're holding. If you feel it tightening up, it's a relaxed muscle, not fat or skin.

There are way too many women in the world mis-identifying their relaxed muscles as "ugly" "fat" "bat-wing" "chicken-wing" "flaps", and disliking the muscles that help them move. Be sure you're not doing that!

Still, as I said in the previous post, I encourage you to a medical consult because of that yeast-infection issue. Good luck!
  • fitbethlin
    fitbethlin Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Sorry I can't help directly with your question, but this article caught my eye a few days ago. This is the first place I'd seen an actual reason why loose skin can actually cause plateaus or weight loss difficulties. The CNN article links to a published journal article that might help you decide if you can find a copy.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/16/health/resting-metabolic-rate-fitness-weight-partner/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6467809
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    If my insurer would pay for skin removal, I'd have it in a heartbeat.
    My weight loss of nearly 150 pounds has been a long process, and loose skin appeared very gradual. But, now- it's like everyday it seems to get even MORE loose! Especially on my inner thighs and my face. :( Heck, I even have loose skin on my hands.
    Through out my loss I've been very active, and have good muscle tone. My upper arms, back, and calves all have visible muscles.
    The tummy overhang actually bothers me the least. It's the 'bat wings', thighs and face that are most visible.
    I've been told that after a year or so some will tighten up...I hope so.

But overall, I'll take the loose skin any day over that extra weight. :)

I'd say 'go for it' if you can, especially with the skin infections happening.

Also..congratulations on the weight loss!

• cheryldumais
    Options
    AnnPT77 thank you! You have given me hope. When I flex my arms the way you describe there is definately a difference. And the rear end info also helped alot. I may just put off the surgery for a bit and see what happens. I've been putting off strenth training too long it's time to do something about that. As for the yeast infections... Gold Bond powder is my best friend, lol.

FitOldMomma, I agree I would rather have the loose skin than the fat anyday.
  • cheryldumais
    Options
    fitbethlin wrote: »
    Sorry I can't help directly with your question, but this article caught my eye a few days ago. This is the first place I'd seen an actual reason why loose skin can actually cause plateaus or weight loss difficulties. The CNN article links to a published journal article that might help you decide if you can find a copy.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/16/health/resting-metabolic-rate-fitness-weight-partner/

This was a facinating read. Thank you for sharing.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,739 Member
    Options
    fitbethlin wrote: »

This was a facinating read. Thank you for sharing.

Sadly, the first link is to an article where cause and effect appear to be reversed. For example, reduced core temperature is the result, not a cause, of adaptive thermogenesis as the article implies.