Why don't I ever pull big numbers?

Options

Replies

• Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Comparing yourself to others instead of to yourself is a good way to sabotage yourself.
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I'm going to start this off by saying this is not a whiney "I'm not losing post"! I understand that I am not perfect and I can always strive to be better and improve my eating and working out. Please don't get the wrong idea.

My question is this: Is it just simply harder for some to lose weight than others?
    I say this because I have tried all kinds of different things. Working out with trainers, eating vegetarian, "clean", upping my calories, lowering them, working out 6 days a week, 2 days a week, fitness classes, video's. .and I NEVER lose more than a pound and a half a week. It's a totally mystery. I simply can't figure it out. My friends and my "MFP's" are always pulling 2-4 pound losses a week. My friends can barely change their diet and drop fifteen pounds, and I have to totally work my *kitten* off for 3 months to achieve it.

Any ideas? Could it be a genetic thing, I hate blaming weight stuff on that but I'm seriously just confused. I am happy with my losses so far and I will continue to work hard. I guess I'm just wondering if I'm the only one in this boat. I just don't pull big numbers.

What do you think?

First of all, what's the rush? 1-1.5 lbs is what I'm losing each week and yes, its annoying and want faster results but, this is healthy. Would you rather eat 1200 calories lose 4-5 lbs a week and then gain 15lbs once your done? Don't think so.

THIS ISN'T THE BIGGEST LOSER. YOU are doing everything right. Keep it up! Patience is the key here. You didn't gain weight over night so don't expect to lose it overnight either.
  • red869
    red869 Posts: 59
    Options
    Are you kidding?? 1.5 lbs a week is great! I can only ever dream of losing as much as that in a week.
  • jusa1011
    jusa1011 Posts: 21
    Options
    Since I started, i have lost 7 pounds in 4 weeks. The first week, it was four but I think that had something to do with my period coming on that week. I am thrilled with the loss that I am having. A few years back, I went on a program where I used Alli and waitressed 30 to 35 hours a week. I was very diligent about what I ate and wrote everything down. After six months, I only lost 18 pounds, but I was only 150 to begin with. When I started this time, I was 168. I don't know your situation, but I think the heavy you are when you start, the more weight you may lose each week.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    its called patience, get some..

You didn't become over weight in four months and you wont become "fit" in four months. I have been at this for seven years now and I am still not where I want to be.

This is why I hate posting on forums. Learn to read.
    As I said in my posting, and in another comment, and apparently AGAIN-
    I AM VERY HAPPY WITH MY LOSSES. I SAID THAT TWICE IN MY POSTING AND AGAIN IN A COMMENT.
    Please read the above statement instead of skimming my posting and being a total jerk.

The question was CLEARLY why other people seemed to be able to pull off these big numbers and I can't. Notice I didn't say "normal" numbers, I said "Big" numbers. As in, I don't expect to lose 2 pounds a week, I was wondering why I am unable to when it seems to be easier and normal for others. . Also, I said 1 1/2 pounds was a BIG number to me. Sheesh. No need to make a federal case of it..

You know, you were getting awesome answers up to this point. and now, you just discouraged people from wanting to learn more to give you more specific advice.

the only thing I'm going to say is stop comparing yourself to others.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    and I NEVER lose more than a pound and a half a week

1-2 lbs per week is right on. I have no idea what you're complaining about.

Also, there's no need to try a million and one different things. Figure out your rough TDEE and eat at a deficit. That's it.
  • jusa1011
    jusa1011 Posts: 21
    Options
    Since I started, i have lost 7 pounds in 4 weeks. The first week, it was four but I think that had something to do with my period coming on that week. I am thrilled with the loss that I am having. A few years back, I went on a program where I used Alli and waitressed 30 to 35 hours a week. I was very diligent about what I ate and wrote everything down. After six months, I only lost 18 pounds, but I was only 150 to begin with. When I started this time, I was 168. I don't know your situation, but I think the heavy you are when you start, the more weight you may lose each week.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Losing 1% of your bodyweight is the goal each week. While some can do 2% for awhile, it eventually halts. For some who have very little to lose (last 10lbs) that goal is usually between 0.25% to 0.50% of bodyweight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Reasons people might pull bigger numbers than you:

They have more weight to lose.

They have a higher calorie deficit.

They don't record their weight every week.

They record EVERY fluctuation, so they might have logged a gain of 3 pounds the week before that wasn't really a gain, then when that water weight left plus the normal weight loss, they're showing a loss of 4 pounds in a week.

They're losing weight doing something extreme like weight loss surgery or foolish like hcg.
  • sc10985
    sc10985 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Reasons people might pull bigger numbers than you:

They have more weight to lose.

They have a higher calorie deficit.

They don't record their weight every week.

They record EVERY fluctuation, so they might have logged a gain of 3 pounds the week before that wasn't really a gain, then when that water weight left plus the normal weight loss, they're showing a loss of 4 pounds in a week.

They're losing weight doing something extreme like weight loss surgery or foolish like hcg.

This is why. Simple answer: Everyone is different.
  • 1safechick
    1safechick Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ignore the negative sarcastic people. There's no reason for their rudeness when you simply asked a real and fair question. People sit behind their computer screens and don't thing they have to be polite - pitiful!

At any rate, great job in the weight loss. I'm also a very slow loser (just under a pound a week when averaged) and have found more success changing my body (and my pants size) with fitness videos, like the 30 Day Shred and cardio workouts.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure the slowest loser award is coming my way......but you know what?

I still got where I am right now and I never lost 1 pound a week.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,717 Member
    Options
    I could win the award for slowest loser. However, when I was losing faster when I first started with MFP it came off more quickly but in a non linear fashion. Stalls and whooshes. The scale wouldn't move for 3 weeks, and then suddenly 3-4 pounds down within a few days. Maybe you are just noticing the whooshes?
  • jdayer
    jdayer Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I lost thirty pounds in ten days once. It was my first long back packing trip on Isle Royal and my brother and we walked the Minong Ridge trail from Rock Harbor to Windigo and then back. We took those "feed two" dehydrated meals, ate maybe a 1,000 calories a day and burned about 12,000-16,000 carrying packs that were way too heavy.

I would never do that again and I wouldn't suggest it to anyone else, I was near delirious with low blood sugar by the end of the trip.

I am now happy losing whatever I lose.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Ignore the negative sarcastic people. There's no reason for their rudeness when you simply asked a real and fair question. People sit behind their computer screens and don't thing they have to be polite - pitiful!

At any rate, great job in the weight loss. I'm also a very slow loser (just under a pound a week when averaged) and have found more success changing my body (and my pants size) with fitness videos, like the 30 Day Shred and cardio workouts.
    so when we say that 1.5 pounds per week loss is good that is negative....ummmm OK if you say so.., really?
  • JosephWilson86
    Options
    I'm the same way. To lose fat faster than a couple pounds per month I have to be at a big calorie deficit. I think some people just have a higher BMR than others. Stick with it. By the time you're really lean you'll also be really muscular and sexy. Your friends will be skinny fat.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    I love how many people read the OP's original post, and automatically presumed she was moaning about her rate of loss.

I read it as she was happy with her loss rate, but was genuinely asking a question, as to why people lose at faster rates than others. I think thats a fair enough question to ask, I don't see why she is getting jumped on if I'm honest.

OP, I think it would be down to many different factors, exercise, cal intake, blar blar, lifestyle, the list is endless really. We are all special snowflakes at the end of the day and lose differently I suppose.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Maybe they're losing muscle in a faster rate than you.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    Maybe they're losing muscle in a faster rate than you.

Sting lol
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Plateau