Why don't I ever pull big numbers?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    its called patience, get some..

You didn't become over weight in four months and you wont become "fit" in four months. I have been at this for seven years now and I am still not where I want to be.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

You didn't become over weight in four months and you wont become "fit" in four months. I have been at this for seven years now and I am still not where I want to be.

BINGO!

A pound and a half a week is fine progress. Focus on long-term success and keep on going.
  • BeachIron
    Options
    Back when I start at 560 lbs. my dietician said we will adjust your calories so that you are losing no more than 1 to 2 lbs. a week. She said that is a sustainable weight loss and will more than likely guarantee that the weight I lose will be permanent. This isn't a race to some finish line. Slow and steady will win the race, my 1 to 2 lbs. a week has turned into a 312 lb. of weight loss. If you are doing this right, then you are in this for the rest of your life so please don't feel the need to rush it..... Best of Luck...

I truly hope this caught your eyes, OP. If not, I'm repeating it here so you listen to this gentleman.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    It's pretty simple really. 1.5lbs/week is fantastic weight loss and is honestly pretty high. I would be thrilled to lose that much.

Those that are losing 2-4lbs every week are doing one/some/all of these things:

1) Lying
    2) Are very, very overweight
    3) Killing themselves (unsafe deficit and/or exercise regimen)
    4) Just starting their weight loss (you tend to lose more in the beginning)

Keep in mind, overly aggressive weight loss almost always fails. If I were losing 2-4lbs a week I would be intentionally eating more to slow it down. It is not necessarily a good thing to be losing that fast.

So in other words, you are doing it PERFECTLY. Good job, and keep it up.
  • seabee78
    seabee78 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    1-1.5lbs a week loss is phenomenal. This isn't Biggest Loser; you won't get voted off for losing ONLY 1 lb a week.

People shouldn't be in such a hurry to lose weight. It's not a race..well, if you want to think of it as a race, think of it as more like a marathon than a sprint. What's your hurry? It's not like you can stop eating right when you reach your goal. It's a lifestyle change..it will never end. So why rush it? Enjoy your life and your newfound healthiness.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I thought this was a deadlifting thread... I take my leave
  • fpuckett2383
    fpuckett2383 Posts: 49 Member
    Options

This is why I hate posting on forums. Learn to read.
    As I said in my posting, and in another comment, and apparently AGAIN-
    I AM VERY HAPPY WITH MY LOSSES. I SAID THAT TWICE IN MY POSTING AND AGAIN IN A COMMENT.
    Please read the above statement instead of skimming my posting and being a total jerk.

The question was CLEARLY why other people seemed to be able to pull off these big numbers and I can't. Notice I didn't say "normal" numbers, I said "Big" numbers. As in, I don't expect to lose 2 pounds a week, I was wondering why I am unable to when it seems to be easier and normal for others. . Also, I said 1 1/2 pounds was a BIG number to me. Sheesh. No need to make a federal case of it..
  • Mysis1
    Mysis1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm not one to talk, because patience is not my thing. I've been at this MFP thing for since mid may and working out since mid January, and I just now got back to the weight I was at new years. The scale can deceive you, especially if your workout routine involves strength training. The last month or so I'd be lucky if I lost .5 lb/w (and I'm only 25), but this fitness thing is marathon, not a sprint. Good luck and keep up the hard work. Don't let that b#*@!*d scale ruin a good thing!
  • ninjakitty419
    ninjakitty419 Posts: 349 Member
    Options

BINGO!

A pound and a half a week is fine progress. Focus on long-term success and keep on going.

OK really? Did you two even read the post???
    She never said there was anything wrong with her losses!! She was pretty much just asking why other people are reporting losses twice that or more. I have wondered the same thing. I know, and the OP knows, that half pound a week is fine, one pound a weeks is great. Yes! Awesome! But I also see people saying they lost 4 pounds every week which I also wonder how in the heck they do that and is that even safe? Because I have always heard anything over 2 per week is not safe.

Geez! She was just curious about it, not complaining.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    It's pretty simple really. 1.5lbs/week is fantastic weight loss and is honestly pretty high. I would be thrilled to lose that much.

Those that are losing 2-4lbs every week are doing one/some/all of these things:

1) Lying
    2) Are very, very overweight
    3) Killing themselves (unsafe deficit and/or exercise regimen)
    4) Just starting their weight loss (you tend to lose more in the beginning)

Keep in mind, overly aggressive weight loss almost always fails. If I were losing 2-4lbs a week I would be intentionally eating more to slow it down. It is not necessarily a good thing to be losing that fast.

So in other words, you are doing it PERFECTLY. Good job, and keep it up.

Here's your answer, OP. Put very succinctly.

QFTFT.
  • BeachIron
    Options

BINGO!

She never said there was anything wrong with her losses!! She was pretty much just asking why other people are reporting losses twice that or more. I have wondered the same thing. I know, and the OP knows, that half pound a week is fine, one pound a weeks is great. Yes! Awesome! But I also see people saying they lost 4 pounds every week which I also wonder how in the heck they do that and is that even safe? Because I have always heard anything over 2 per week is not safe.

Please overreact some more. It's quite entertaining.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I thought this was a deadlifting thread... I take my leave

Me too :(

OP- It took me a year to lose 42 pounds. That works out to less than 1 pound per week on average.

I did this on purpose for a few reasons. I wanted to maintain as much LBM as possible. I also wanted to make sure I was doing something I could keep up with, so I tried to go with the smallest deficit possible. Doing this also gave me plenty of time to learn new habits, and figure out what works for me.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I AM VERY HAPPY WITH MY LOSSES. I SAID THAT TWICE IN MY POSTING AND AGAIN IN A COMMENT.
    Please read the above statement instead of skimming my posting and being a total jerk.

The question was CLEARLY why other people seemed to be able to pull off these big numbers and I can't. Notice I didn't say "normal" numbers, I said "Big" numbers. As in, I don't expect to lose 2 pounds a week, I was wondering why I am unable to when it seems to be easier and normal for others. . Also, I said 1 1/2 pounds was a BIG number to me. Sheesh. No need to make a federal case of it..

if you dont expect to lose two pounds a week then why the concern with not losing two pounds a week?
  • ndj1979
    Options

BINGO!

Please overreact some more. It's quite entertaining.

I second the overreacting....

in...for more overreacting!
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    That's all I've ever been able to do, as well. I think my situation was more body recompilation, so the scale moved more slowly than if it was just straight up weight loss.

I went from a size 12 to a size 4 in less than 15 pounds. I later discovered that I'm a mesomorph, and we put on muscle easily. I've got ripped quads and you can see the outline of my delts, biceps and triceps. I also have visible lats. That is with almost no lifting, and tons and tons of cardio. These results are typical of a mesomorph.

Your slow weight loss could be because you are a mesomorph. This is actually a good thing, because that means you are putting on muscle while losing fat.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OP - maybe you are in starvation mode....
  • slaufenberg
    slaufenberg Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had the same trouble and then my doctor suggested I cut my carbs to 30-50 per day. I was able to lose 7.8 pounds in the first two weeks and then have lost 2.5 pounds in the past two days. I went into my diary profile and customized it to track my carbs and sugars. For me, I think that even though I was staying in my calorie count, I was eating too many carbs.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    A pound and a half a week is more than reasonable. What were you expecting to lose? anything moew than 2/wk is not sustainable, and puts you at risk of developing loose, saggy skin.

^^^ this

the human body doesn't actually burn fat very quickly. If someone is seeing losses of more than 2lb a week every week, then either they're extremely obese (therefore able to lose more quickly than a leaner person) or they're losing more than just fat (which is not a good thing for the most part)

the fact that you're losing about 1.5lb a week is actually a really good sign, as it's more likely that you're losing just fat, and that you're losing in a sustainable way, and you're more likely to keep it off long term, and as mentioned above, less likely to have issues with saggy skin.

you're making excellent progress in other words... big losses on a regular basis are not necessarily a good sign. You want to lose fat, and only fat, and that happens slowly. Keep doing what you're doing and don't change anything unless you actually stop losing weight altogether.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options

if you dont expect to lose two pounds a week then why the concern with not losing two pounds a week?

lol, I was pondering the same.

You say you're happy...then you can't help but envy the other people with their more substantial losses. Confused.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    A pound and a half a week is more than reasonable. What were you expecting to lose? anything moew than 2/wk is not sustainable, and puts you at risk of developing loose, saggy skin.

Everyone needs to stop scaring people with the threat of loose skin. Loose skin is genetics + age. It has more to do with how fast you gained than how quickly you lose. Even if you see some while you are losing it will more than likely correct itself if you live at your goal weight for a while. I get 10 messages a week from people scared of loose skin because forums keep saying they better do this or that or they will have the dreaded loose skin. You do not have to follow any special lifting regiment, you do not have to eat any specific food, you do not have to keep any certain weight loss rate, you do not need to use any special lotions. These people are just typing to hear the sound of their fingers hitting the keys. All you really need to do is focus on losing the weight and worry about the rest later.