I'm not growing for some odd reason!

Options
13»

Replies

• tarothelp
    tarothelp Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    What's ur nutrition like? Look at ur macros r u getting adequate protein?
  • BodayJohnnay
    BodayJohnnay Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Okay I do mixed martial arts and I been working out for 4 years Now I do a lot of bodyweight training and cardio despite all of that I'm still weak and my bodies strength just wont grow my muscles won't grow I do a lot if weighted push ups and dips and alot of modified workouts to get stronger but for some odd reason my body won't heal or get stronger or grow. I sprint and run a lot but it seems like I get slower and slower. Also I have medical conditions like blood disorders and other things. I workout more then anyone in my neighborhood or anyone around me because where I live people don't really workout at all but yet they are still stronger then me. Please can someone explain what's going on with my body and why it won't grow or get stronger and build more mass? Thank you!

Eat more...and if you aren't gaining size/weight...guess what?
    EAT MORE!
    Need the right amount of calories to fuel you for all your activities. Eat more than you burn daily, you'll gain. Eat less than energy expended, you'll lose. You got this!
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Reading through all of your responses it is extremely vague. Here is a vivid look at my lifting and diet plan:

Average 3600-3900 calories daily depending on how strenuous my work day was
    +180g protein
    +110g fats
    The rest are carbs which will vary depending on my other macros

Lifting Is:
    Week 1 day 1: upper body power
    Bench press 3x5 final set AMRAP
    Weight is 65%, 75%, 85% of calculated 1rm.
    Overhead press(repeat of above) pendlay row. Working towards increasing reps then weight. I don't track weight, just generally aim for 6-8 reps with explosive pulls off the ground
    Pull ups 3x8
    Incline press 3x6-10(focus on slow controlled reps)
    Barbell pull overs 3x10
    Tricep bench 4x10
    Reverse curls 4x12
    (Weight increases on all movements weekly until 4th week which is deload, I then focus on lighter weights and greasing the grove of my lifts.

Day 2 lower body power. Same rep percentage scheme a upper body power for my squats and deadlifts.
    Along with accessory movements.

Day 3 rest

Day 4 chest/arms hypertrophy

Bench press 4x12
    Incline press 4x12 compounded with dumbbell flies
    Lower cable flies 4x12-20

Then 3 workouts of 4 sets of triceps same for biceps and forearms

Day 5 legs hypertrophy. Similar to day 2 just swapped out accessories and squats for front squats with higher reps

Day 6 back and shoulders hypertrophy.

I think I've gone into enough detail to explain what the difference to vague and vivid are. My true program is much more in depth from week to week. With pause reps, drop sets, working past failure. Stopping before failure. My program is a modified version of PHAT due to fact that I'm an Un enhanced lifter so I can't handle the full volume of that program. I then use wendler 5/3/1 for all of my compound lifts since I am interested in competing in both natural body building and hopefully powerlifting one day. You have to understand the difference between guessing your diet and doing the odd bodyweight movements compared to a diet that you set out for yourself with set macros and a true lifting programs with reps, sets, and percentages. Someone looking at my post would have a much better idea of what I'm doing compared to you and what my goals are. Only after you have all of that should even consider a "workout supplement" which in itself is extremely vague.
    I myself take pre workout
    9g of citrulline malate
    4g taurine
    10g BCAAs
    200mg caffeine
    Post workout
    60g whey protein
    5g creatine monohydrate

With a multi vitamin in the morning and Zma right before bed.
  • sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    You are clearly highly motivated. That's an excellent start. It looks like you just need to shift from your current fitness-oriented training to more strength-oriented training. The best way forward might be to hire a trainer, at least for a little while, to help you design a program oriented toward your specific goals.

The people above really are trying to help, by the way. In any case, good luck achieving your goals. Given your motivation, I have no doubt that you will get there.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    I do eat a lot but I don't know if its enough.
    I mean I do take workout supplements.

your brain gets better at activating the muscle you already have, so you can 'gain' some strength in tha tway. but after four years you've probably got that covered. afaik if you want to actually create new muscle tissue and cells, then your body needs protein to create it. so even if you're eating 'a lot' you might not be eating foods that contain what you need for that goal. i'm not going to guess how much protein would make sense for your age and current body composition, but the information is out there if you google for it.
    where I live people don't really workout at all but yet they are still stronger then me.

remember to cut yourself a little slack for whatever 'disorder' you have. it probably doesn't prevent you from getting strong with a steady lifting programme and enough protein, but imo comparing yourself to people who don't have health issues just leads to discouragement. and confusion :wink: what works for a 'normal' person might not be as effective for you.

• crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor(s) about how your various medical issues are impacting you physically and whether the amount, type of exercise is appropriate for someone with these medical issues.

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I do eat a lot but I don't know if its enough.
    I mean I do take workout supplements.

your brain gets better at activating the muscle you already have, so you can 'gain' some strength in tha tway. but after four years you've probably got that covered. afaik if you want to actually create new muscle tissue and cells, then your body needs protein to create it. so even if you're eating 'a lot' you might not be eating foods that contain what you need for that goal. i'm not going to guess how much protein would make sense for your age and current body composition, but the information is out there if you google for it.
    where I live people don't really workout at all but yet they are still stronger then me.

remember to cut yourself a little slack for whatever 'disorder' you have. it probably doesn't prevent you from getting strong with a steady lifting programme and enough protein, but imo comparing yourself to people who don't have health issues just leads to discouragement. and confusion :wink: what works for a 'normal' person might not be as effective for you.

Comparing yourself to anyone else that you view as better, for any reason, is a good way to end up disappointed.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Every time this thread pops up I read the title as "I'm not growing old for some reason."
  • patslitzker
    patslitzker Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Martial arts, cardio and body weight exercises aren't going to make you grow. Lift heavy weights and eat more.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Too much cardio will burn your muscles
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Too much cardio will burn your muscles

Um how exactly would that happen? A calorie deficit and lack of stimulation will cause atrophy. But as long as you're providing sufficient stimulus, calories, protein, and rest. Cardio would only aid in recovery.
  • patslitzker
    patslitzker Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    The only way is if it's enough cardio to throw you into a deficit. Like if you're eating 500 above maintenance and he ends up burning 1000 calories from the martial arts training and cardio, then you're at a deficit of 500 plus he isn't lifting.