New program, eating more, scales staying still

Options
Hi all,

I recently started a new exercise program. I am trying to lose weight. I am trying to improve the appearance of my body.

But to be honest, right now what I am really focusing on exercising as my mental health has been a bit all over the place recently. Channeling this into physically activity is the best outlet for me.

Therefore this not a 'why am I not seeing results post'! More a curiosity thing.

The new program is heavy on strength & resistance training. My body is not used to this.
I have also been inconsistently on myfitnesspal but in the past have been on 1200-1350 when sticking to my plan. On average I am now eating about 1500-1650 now as 1200 is too hard for me to maintain.

My weight is currently stable despite a lot of activity. I am puffy looking and bloated for this weight (been here before, looked smaller). I'm guess this is a combination of increased calories & my muscles retaining fluid as they become accustomed to a different type of training.

Roughly how long have other seen this retention & stagnation last? I'll wait it out because I know it is worth it - just curious to know when my body will start to adjust.

Replies

• size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing the new plan ?
    I used to do loads exercise but never ate exercise calories and lost weight
    Counting calories need to be exact everything weighed measured everything logged that's the main reason for no weightloss extra calories not logged

If your being ultra strict then just give it time the tape measure is more your friend tha a scale
  • biglouie7504
    biglouie7504 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Livgetfit wrote: »
    Hi all,

I recently started a new exercise program. I am trying to lose weight. I am trying to improve the appearance of my body.

But to be honest, right now what I am really focusing on exercising as my mental health has been a bit all over the place recently. Channeling this into physically activity is the best outlet for me.

Therefore this not a 'why am I not seeing results post'! More a curiosity thing.

The new program is heavy on strength & resistance training. My body is not used to this.
    I have also been inconsistently on myfitnesspal but in the past have been on 1200-1350 when sticking to my plan. On average I am now eating about 1500-1650 now as 1200 is too hard for me to maintain.

My weight is currently stable despite a lot of activity. I am puffy looking and bloated for this weight (been here before, looked smaller). I'm guess this is a combination of increased calories & my muscles retaining fluid as they become accustomed to a different type of training.

Roughly how long have other seen this retention & stagnation last? I'll wait it out because I know it is worth it - just curious to know when my body will start to adjust.

Try cutting out a lot of sodium if you use salty seasonings I know that helped me and focus more on cardio with your weight lifting even cutting weightlifting out every now and then and just doing cardio, push ups, jumping jacks, crunches good luck to you:)
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Livgetfit wrote: »
    Hi all,

Try cutting out a lot of sodium if you use salty seasonings I know that helped me and focus more on cardio with your weight lifting even cutting weightlifting out every now and then and just doing cardio, push ups, jumping jacks, crunches good luck to you:)

Why up cardio and decrease strength? Strength training is the single best thing you can do for body composition and muscle retention whilst eating at a deficit.

OP, when I started exercising again it took about 5 weeks for the scales to move. If I take a break and start again it can again take a week or two for the water retention to subside. Totally dependent on your own personal physiology and being female it can take a bit longer to see through natural fluctuations. As long as your logging is tight keep holding on and trust the process.
  • Livgetfit
    Livgetfit Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    size102b wrote: »
    How long have you been doing the new plan ?
    I used to do loads exercise but never ate exercise calories and lost weight
    Counting calories need to be exact everything weighed measured everything logged that's the main reason for no weightloss extra calories not logged

If your being ultra strict then just give it time the tape measure is more your friend tha a scale

Hi there!

I have been doing this only about 2.5 weeks, this applies to both the exercise and the increase in calories. As I mentioned, my mental health is currently my priority and weighing in properly & being strict about my calories made my anxiety very bad. So what I am doing at the moment is focusing on moving my body & pushing myself.

I am logging consistently and not making poor food choices but I am not currently weighing everything. That said, I am in deficit. Again, this is not a complaint about not seeing results. I just wondered how long roughly before your body gets used to a program?
  • Livgetfit
    edited January 2017
    Options
    ]Hi all,

OP, when I started exercising again it took about 5 weeks for the scales to move. If I take a break and start again it can again take a week or two for the water retention to subside. Totally dependent on your own personal physiology and being female it can take a bit longer to see through natural fluctuations. As long as your logging is tight keep holding on and trust the process.

That's so much. This is kind of the timeline I expected. I have also recently started & stopped taking a new contraceptive pill so I know there is going to be a lot of fluctuations.

Right now I am relying on photos to show me what is happening to my body - not the scale. I shall do my measurements too as it has been a while!

I am feeling much healthier mentally too so I shall shortly return to weighing everything. I know this is important but I also know myself. It would have made things worse over the last few weeks but I am almost ready now!
  • ZephieC
    ZephieC Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are drinking plenty of water as well. Sounds like you are making great positive changes. When your mental health is good the rest comes much easier. I am trying to lose weight for my physical health but I have seen positive changes in my mental health and feeling of well being since I have been focussed on eating better. Of course, I am still on my winter meds for SAD, but hopefully this change in lifestyle may help me reduce them a bit. I am trying to add exercise but I have never been the athletic sort so I am going slow and working on consistency. Good luck to you @livgetfit
  • Livgetfit
    Options
    Make sure you are drinking plenty of water as well. Sounds like you are making great positive changes. When your mental health is good the rest comes much easier. I am trying to lose weight for my physical health but I have seen positive changes in my mental health and feeling of well being since I have been focussed on eating better. Of course, I am still on my winter meds for SAD, but hopefully this change in lifestyle may help me reduce them a bit. I am trying to add exercise but I have never been the athletic sort so I am going slow and working on consistency. Good luck to you @livgetfit

Thank you for your best wishes and so much luck to you too.

I have decided to go slow and steady by making one healthy change at a time, listening to my mind & body, being nicer to myself and taking my time.

I have been at my goal weight before but I got there through unhealthy means and for the wrong reasons. At the end of it I was happy with the mirror but miserable about life. I am choosing to grow up and do this the adult way, once and for always!