Options
1235»

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Do I care about BMI?

If it's, "normal," no. If it's "overweight" or (God forbid) "obese," yes, in which case I'd ignore it altogether.

LOL!

BTW, currently, it's "normal." :)
  • kkress92
    kkress92 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I do, to an extent, and here's why: it's my understanding that BMI charts were formulated to provide GENERALIZED data about health risks. Of course there is limited application to statistical outliers, for example the very short/tall/highly muscular. The "healthy" range indicates the lowest level of risk, and health risks statistically increase the farther one gets from that range.
    Heart disease runs in my family, with both my grandmother and mother dying in their early sixties, and my mom having her first heart attack at age 36. (She had no other risk factors than just bad genes) So you can bet I'm going to do everything within my power to decrease my risk for disease, while keeping in mind that there are no guarantees, and that BMI is just one piece of the puzzle.
    As long as one realizes the way BMI is formulated and the limitations, I see no reason not to use it as one tool among many to help objectively measure ones progress.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I lift. If I cared about BMI, I'd be forever relegated to "lol mediocrity" territory. Women seem to be able to pull of respectable physiques and strength without even getting too deep into overweight territory. Men, not so much.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm just happy I'm "Normal"... Weight wise anyway :tongue:
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    applemiki wrote: »
    to be honest the BMI charts are usually for people who have average frame structures. i have learned never to gauge from that because i have a large bone structure. what is overweight for the average person is pretty much ideal for me. i want to look healthy, not malnourished.

That is not true. You'll be at the upper range of a healthy BMI if you have a large frame, and at the lower range if you have a small one. That's why there's a range of what's considered healthy.

There are some people for whom this doesn't hold true, of course. There's one poster on these forums who has a large frame and her height/weight ratio is skewed due to scoliosis. That makes her a very rare exception.

That would be me.

I care about bmi because there are health care penalties applied to it.

I have finally achieved "normal" bmi for my current height, but to be honest I wouldn't force others to do it. My height - adjusted Bmi would be 21.5 (if my height spine wasn't a twisty corkscrew) but because of the height loss its 24.5. My wrist and ankle measurements still place me as large - framed.

My motivation is removing strain from my spine, but I think I'm getting pretty thin. My hips and bust are smaller than they were when I was 12 and I wasn't overweight then. My torso between my hips and under my ribs is now concave, which looks strange to say the least.

• sfa90
    sfa90 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Yes I care, and I am very happy that since today I am in the healthy range.