What are your eczema triggers?

Options

Replies

• Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine recently figured out she gets outbreaks from an additive in the city water. She put a filter on the shower and drinks only bottled water, problem solved.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options

OK when I finish the yogurt I just bought I will cut out yogurt first would you recommend Probiotic supplements? The yogurt is my only source of probiotics. I know my middle brother has a problem with gluten and he can't really eat it.

Cutting out yogurt isn't cutting out dairy though. You can't have ANY dairy. That means no cheese, sour cream, milk, yogurt, etc. It also means reading anything with a label (boxes, cans) because dairy is often listed as casein or whey. If you only cut out yogurt you still won't know if dairy is a trigger. I just wanted to make sure I didn't give that impression (to just cut out yogurt). Do you do your own cooking? If you don't, you would need to talk with whomever is doing your cooking to make sure they understand what no dairy means because even breads can have dairy in them (don't assume bread, cereal, etc. doesn't have dairy in it just because it's not an actual dairy item). Dairy is used as an ingredient in A LOT of boxed and canned foods or even recipes. Unflavored coconut milk is a really good option if you need milk for cooking, etc. It's not great for drinking straight, but in cereal and such it works great. They have vanilla too but I find that too sweet for me (it has quite a bit of sugar). I would avoid soy milk/products as dairy replacements and try to use coconut products instead. Especially as a man.

Yes, a probiotic would be good to add. American Health PB8 isn't too bad. I use a different one now but for years we used that one and were happy with it. Probiotics don't have to be horribly expensive to be good. Having multiple strains in them is good though. Also, if you like fermented foods like sourkraut, kimchi, kombucha, etc you can use those as probiotics (and it takes very very little of those daily - like 1/4 cup) instead of capsules/pills if that matters to you.

Definitely there can be a familial side of food allergies (they can very much be genetic - dairy tends to be that way). After testing dairy it would make sense to test gluten given you have family that can't eat it. Then you can move on from there. The environmental aspect can't be ignored also. Did your laundry soap change? Any sort of skin care products change? The person that said the city water was an issue makes a good point. Eczema is just a booger. It can take time to figure out the triggers and heal it up. You just have to be persistent in trying.

And if an elimination diet is too much of a pain (personally, I don't like doing them), you can always get an ELISA 96 Food Allergy Panel. It might cost $275 but you might spend that in testing changes and taking a year to figure it out. So????? Kind of depends on your level of patience and willingness to stick to an elimination diet.

Always happy to try and help with this if I can. I feel for you. My son's eczema was awful and I'm so glad those days are behind us!
  • ShinySkyShaymin1994
    Options

OK when I finish the yogurt I just bought I will cut out yogurt first would you recommend Probiotic supplements? The yogurt is my only source of probiotics. I know my middle brother has a problem with gluten and he can't really eat it.

Cutting out yogurt isn't cutting out dairy though. You can't have ANY dairy. That means no cheese, sour cream, milk, yogurt, etc. It also means reading anything with a label (boxes, cans) because dairy is often listed as casein or whey. If you only cut out yogurt you still won't know if dairy is a trigger. I just wanted to make sure I didn't give that impression (to just cut out yogurt). Do you do your own cooking? If you don't, you would need to talk with whomever is doing your cooking to make sure they understand what no dairy means because even breads can have dairy in them (don't assume bread, cereal, etc. doesn't have dairy in it just because it's not an actual dairy item). Dairy is used as an ingredient in A LOT of boxed and canned foods or even recipes. Unflavored coconut milk is a really good option if you need milk for cooking, etc. It's not great for drinking straight, but in cereal and such it works great. They have vanilla too but I find that too sweet for me (it has quite a bit of sugar). I would avoid soy milk/products as dairy replacements and try to use coconut products instead. Especially as a man.

Yes, a probiotic would be good to add. American Health PB8 isn't too bad. I use a different one now but for years we used that one and were happy with it. Probiotics don't have to be horribly expensive to be good. Having multiple strains in them is good though. Also, if you like fermented foods like sourkraut, kimchi, kombucha, etc you can use those as probiotics (and it takes very very little of those daily - like 1/4 cup) instead of capsules/pills if that matters to you.

Definitely there can be a familial side of food allergies (they can very much be genetic - dairy tends to be that way). After testing dairy it would make sense to test gluten given you have family that can't eat it. Then you can move on from there. The environmental aspect can't be ignored also. Did your laundry soap change? Any sort of skin care products change? The person that said the city water was an issue makes a good point. Eczema is just a booger. It can take time to figure out the triggers and heal it up. You just have to be persistent in trying.

And if an elimination diet is too much of a pain (personally, I don't like doing them), you can always get an ELISA 96 Food Allergy Panel. It might cost $275 but you might spend that in testing changes and taking a year to figure it out. So????? Kind of depends on your level of patience and willingness to stick to an elimination diet.

Always happy to try and help with this if I can. I feel for you. My son's eczema was awful and I'm so glad those days are behind us!

I don't eat many dairy products I didn't know whether and casien are often listed as dairy and that's good to know so then my Quest proteij bars I also need to cut out since it has Whey any tips on replacement protein based foods besides meat? I had a gluten intolarence test and that came out as negative but I hear some tests give a false reading. And yes bother my brothers are more lactose intolerant then I am and my dad was also semi like myself. I try to use more herb based products I changed my laundry soap a while back to something softer I think it's called All Clear or something. Where can I buy Kimochi Kombucha etc? I'd try it! I'll talk to my mom about getting the ELISA 96 test. I have Autism so my mom doesn't let me make those decisions on my own even though I'm 22.
  • kandisn7
    kandisn7 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Itsan.org

Finding this website truly changed my world. 3 years later and my eczema is controlled. It's just information, not products.
  • ShinySkyShaymin1994
    Options
    Ok now this is rather embarrassing but needs to be addressed so I can get comfort I believe I am starting to get eczema down there and I am currently using Gold Bond Deodorant spray is there any other deodorant spray that brought down your eczema for that area? I just started applying my aloe
  • ronjsteele1
    Options
    Yes. You would not be able to eat the quest bars. Whey is an especially strong allergen (I can't touch the stuff right now).

Doctor's allergy tests are notoriously inaccurate. We had our son tested by 7 different MD's over 7 years and they all said he had no allergies. One guy said he had a "slight" dairy issue but it was so small on the test that it wouldn't be causing his eczema. The ELISA 96 is the ONLY test that ever showed his allergies and how severe they were. His gluten and dairy allergy were literally off the chart. So yeah, you pretty much can't trust the tests run by MD's.

Is your mom your guardian? I ask because I am the guardian of a 58yr old and I have to make her medical decisions as well so I understand.
  • ronjsteele1
    Options
    Have you tried the burts bees banana hand cream or coconut foot cream on your eczema? That's what we used for our son's. But everyone is different and you just have to try it to see if it works. You can use either of those anywhere externally on your body.
  • ShinySkyShaymin1994
    Options
    Yes. You would not be able to eat the quest bars. Whey is an especially strong allergen (I can't touch the stuff right now).

Doctor's allergy tests are notoriously inaccurate. We had our son tested by 7 different MD's over 7 years and they all said he had no allergies. One guy said he had a "slight" dairy issue but it was so small on the test that it wouldn't be causing his eczema. The ELISA 96 is the ONLY test that ever showed his allergies and how severe they were. His gluten and dairy allergy were literally off the chart. So yeah, you pretty much can't trust the tests run by MD's.

Is your mom your guardian? I ask because I am the guardian of a 58yr old and I have to make her medical decisions as well so I understand.

Yeah I hear that allergy tests are inaccurate sometimes I removed eggs and spices from my diet with some benefits right away my mom is no longer my guardian I live in a group home currently but my mom is my conservator since I have Autism. I have an appt with a Dermatologist next Friday so hopefully that can help wonderfully. I asked the doctor about the ELISA 96 but she can't order that as she isn't able to but I think a Dermatologist can so I will ask the dermatologist at my first appt
  • ShinySkyShaymin1994
    Options
    Have you tried the burts bees banana hand cream or coconut foot cream on your eczema? That's what we used for our son's. But everyone is different and you just have to try it to see if it works. You can use either of those anywhere externally on your body.

I can't use anything with banana as I'm allergic to it. as for Coconut foot cream I never heard of it where can you buy it and how much is it usually?
  • ronjsteele1
    Options
    The burts bees coconut foot cream can usually be bought at Walmart or Kroger or a health food store for about $10.

The only way I know to get an MD of any sort to order the ELISA is to print the paperwork off of the web and take it to them mostly filled out and tell them that's the only test you want done. I had to work to find a doctor willing to jump through the hoops to use it. It is not a standard medical test. Some D.O's are willing to order it but again, you have to take the requisition to them and give them the website to look it up. You can get the req from www.usbiotek.com.
  • ShinySkyShaymin1994
    Options
    The burts bees coconut foot cream can usually be bought at Walmart or Kroger or a health food store for about $10.

The only way I know to get an MD of any sort to order the ELISA is to print the paperwork off of the web and take it to them mostly filled out and tell them that's the only test you want done. I had to work to find a doctor willing to jump through the hoops to use it. It is not a standard medical test. Some D.O's are willing to order it but again, you have to take the requisition to them and give them the website to look it up. You can get the req from www.usbiotek.com.

So wait I am having trouble understanding are you saying what exactly should I be looking up to show the MD? and on deorderant sprays to your knowledge are there deoderant sprays I should give a try to see if it goes away
  • ronjsteele1
    Options
    The company that does the ELISA 96 that I'm aware of (there may be others) is US Biotek. http://www.usbiotek.com/Content/Order/Order.html

There is a form that you can see in the middle of the page. That form needs to be printed off and filled out and taken to a doctor that is willing to draw the blood for the test. The test MUST be paid for when they submit the blood and form to US BioTek. Not all doctors are willing to do this test simply because they are not familiar with it. It's possible that you may need someone to help walk you through this process. You can also call US Biotek and ask them if they have a doctor listed in your area that performs the test. Then you could make an appt. with that doctor specifically and he'll already know how to do the test.

I don't know of any deoderant sprays that will take away eczema. When my son was little our doctor gave us a steroid cream to use on it. As I read on them I discovered how bad they were for the body so that's when we started trying other things. You may need to start out using a steroid cream to get a handle on the eczema. The Burts Bees cream worked for our son but it may or may not work for you (it can be used on the underarms). The best you can do is try it. But ultimately, until you remove whatever you're allergic to (and it sounds like dairy and gluten are culprits from what you've said), then you're not going to heal.

Here's a link to what we used - https://www.amazon.com/Burts-Bees-Coconut-Foot-Creme/dp/B00012NK5E/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1487489351&sr=8-1&keywords=burts+bees+coconut+foot+cream

This is an amazon link but we just bought ours from a local store.
  • ShinySkyShaymin1994
    Options
    The company that does the ELISA 96 that I'm aware of (there may be others) is US Biotek. http://www.usbiotek.com/Content/Order/Order.html

There is a form that you can see in the middle of the page. That form needs to be printed off and filled out and taken to a doctor that is willing to draw the blood for the test. The test MUST be paid for when they submit the blood and form to US BioTek. Not all doctors are willing to do this test simply because they are not familiar with it. It's possible that you may need someone to help walk you through this process. You can also call US Biotek and ask them if they have a doctor listed in your area that performs the test. Then you could make an appt. with that doctor specifically and he'll already know how to do the test.

I don't know of any deoderant sprays that will take away eczema. When my son was little our doctor gave us a steroid cream to use on it. As I read on them I discovered how bad they were for the body so that's when we started trying other things. You may need to start out using a steroid cream to get a handle on the eczema. The Burts Bees cream worked for our son but it may or may not work for you (it can be used on the underarms). The best you can do is try it. But ultimately, until you remove whatever you're allergic to (and it sounds like dairy and gluten are culprits from what you've said), then you're not going to heal.

Here's a link to what we used - https://www.amazon.com/Burts-Bees-Coconut-Foot-Creme/dp/B00012NK5E/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1487489351&sr=8-1&keywords=burts+bees+coconut+foot+cream

This is an amazon link but we just bought ours from a local store.

Thanks so much for the info I will try the burts and bees coconut foot cream I'll push the ELISA 96 test. I really appreciate it if I have other questions I'll post on this again.
  • ronjsteele1
    Options
    I'm happy to answer whatever questions I can for you. If any of it helps then that's great.
  • ShinySkyShaymin1994
    ShinySkyShaymin1994 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Can low iron worsen eczema since iron produces hemoglobin aiding immune system and passing Oxygen throughout the body?
  • allotmentqueen75
    allotmentqueen75 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to too many things to list! Now on strong antihistamines which have helped immensely. I wash and moisturise with diprobase. Can't use any other products apart from a v natural shampoo and a Manuka honey soap! I use Inika makeup. I can't eat certain uncooked fruits and vegetables as it causes eczema around my mouth. Had to find alternative toothpaste too! Total nightmare but finally under control after many years of trial and error.
  • ronjsteele1
    Options
    Can low iron worsen eczema since iron produces hemoglobin aiding immune system and passing Oxygen throughout the body?

This has never been my experience but that does not mean it can't. On a medical level I seriously doubt it but I'm no doctor.
  • ShinySkyShaymin1994
    ShinySkyShaymin1994 Posts: 105 Member
    Options

This has never been my experience but that does not mean it can't. On a medical level I seriously doubt it but I'm no doctor.

Well I'm thinking because Eczema is 3 things and one is at an immunity level
  • ronjsteele1
    Options

Well I'm thinking because Eczema is 3 things and one is at an immunity level

Eczema is the outward result of an inward immune system reaction - yes. But 80% of the immune system resides in the gut. So someone that has eczema has a gut issue. Heal the gut, heal the eczema. So what can cause gut issues? Food allergies are the #1 reason because they cause inflammation and stripping/damage of the cells and lining of the intestines. Therefore, heal the food allergy, heal the eczema.
  • healthybearey
    healthybearey Posts: 140 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    stress, wheat, egg whites, hazlenuts, moulds, grass, pet dander and a lot more! I had testing done last year and these were just some of the many things that trigger my skin to flare - fun fun.. I try to keep my skin moisturised to 'try' prevent flare ups but, my skin is extremely sensitive! :neutral: