What are your eczema triggers?

Options
1235»

Replies

• jordan_bowden
    jordan_bowden Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My food related triggers are dairy and gluten. Also if I use any soaps, cleaning products or even chop certain fruit/vegetables, I get eczema. Cutting out the dairy and gluten cleared it, until I realized that chemical products also provoked it and since then I use gloves whenever I need to use them. Try using pure glycerine soap in place of regular body washes
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Mine is an allergy to oranges/OJ. I just recently realized that I'm allergic to OJ when I started drinking it every day. My face would break out and my cheeks got scaly and red.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    perkymommy wrote: »
    Mine is an allergy to oranges/OJ. I just recently realized that I'm allergic to OJ when I started drinking it every day. My face would break out and my cheeks got scaly and red.

Do you have issues with any other fruits? A friend recently discovered that what she thought were allergies to certain fruits was actually fructose malabsorption syndrome. What makes me wonder is that particular issue often causes mouth/face rashes specifically. Other symptoms are severe gas and bloating, so if you don't have those you probably don't have the malabsorption issue. Just a thought......
  • ShinySkyShaymin1994
    ShinySkyShaymin1994 Posts: 105 Member
    Options

OK when I finish the yogurt I just bought I will cut out yogurt first would you recommend Probiotic supplements? The yogurt is my only source of probiotics. I know my middle brother has a problem with gluten and he can't really eat it.

Cutting out yogurt isn't cutting out dairy though. You can't have ANY dairy. That means no cheese, sour cream, milk, yogurt, etc. It also means reading anything with a label (boxes, cans) because dairy is often listed as casein or whey. If you only cut out yogurt you still won't know if dairy is a trigger. I just wanted to make sure I didn't give that impression (to just cut out yogurt). Do you do your own cooking? If you don't, you would need to talk with whomever is doing your cooking to make sure they understand what no dairy means because even breads can have dairy in them (don't assume bread, cereal, etc. doesn't have dairy in it just because it's not an actual dairy item). Dairy is used as an ingredient in A LOT of boxed and canned foods or even recipes. Unflavored coconut milk is a really good option if you need milk for cooking, etc. It's not great for drinking straight, but in cereal and such it works great. They have vanilla too but I find that too sweet for me (it has quite a bit of sugar). I would avoid soy milk/products as dairy replacements and try to use coconut products instead. Especially as a man.

Yes, a probiotic would be good to add. American Health PB8 isn't too bad. I use a different one now but for years we used that one and were happy with it. Probiotics don't have to be horribly expensive to be good. Having multiple strains in them is good though. Also, if you like fermented foods like sourkraut, kimchi, kombucha, etc you can use those as probiotics (and it takes very very little of those daily - like 1/4 cup) instead of capsules/pills if that matters to you.

Definitely there can be a familial side of food allergies (they can very much be genetic - dairy tends to be that way). After testing dairy it would make sense to test gluten given you have family that can't eat it. Then you can move on from there. The environmental aspect can't be ignored also. Did your laundry soap change? Any sort of skin care products change? The person that said the city water was an issue makes a good point. Eczema is just a booger. It can take time to figure out the triggers and heal it up. You just have to be persistent in trying.

And if an elimination diet is too much of a pain (personally, I don't like doing them), you can always get an ELISA 96 Food Allergy Panel. It might cost $275 but you might spend that in testing changes and taking a year to figure it out. So????? Kind of depends on your level of patience and willingness to stick to an elimination diet.

Always happy to try and help with this if I can. I feel for you. My son's eczema was awful and I'm so glad those days are behind us!

Been looking over this again I found out I am allergic to Paprika and Avacado and since Paprika is in Kimchi I am unable to have it as. Does all Pickles have Probiotics or does it have to be certified? once I cut Paprika the cracking of my skin went down significantly my skin cracks once in a while opposed to 5 or so daily.I think Dairy is a trigger I began having Yogurt again after a few weeks and my eczema was slightly getting worse I heard bread lowers your immune system do you know of this to be true? I began eating bread again same time I started eating Yogurt for 3 days
  • ShinySkyShaymin1994
    ShinySkyShaymin1994 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Any good breakfast ideas? I usually have Gluten in the morning which is my Oatmeal and it's not certified Gluten free I am thinking of going completely Gluten free to see if Gluten is another trigger of mine