Foods to avoid?

Options
13»

Replies

• cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Foods I don't like and/or aren't worth the calories (because they don't taste good enough).

This is me too - I look at my calorie allotment for the day as money. I want to spend my calories/cash where I get the biggest bang for my buck - so I have to really enjoy it and think that it is worth the expenditure. Lots of stuff fell off that list when I really looked at them - things I ate out of habit but really didnt care one way or the other about - they were easily eliminated for sure, then I had to learn to make some tough choices about my options - such as is bread the best value for my buck? I decided not really, as it is doesnt bring me joy like say, a glass of wine does, and most of it is commercial, crap stuff anyway (not of good quality I mean), so my standards changed too.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,986 Member
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »
    Foods I don't like and/or aren't worth the calories (because they don't taste good enough).

This is me too - I look at my calorie allotment for the day as money. I want to spend my calories/cash where I get the biggest bang for my buck - so I have to really enjoy it and think that it is worth the expenditure. Lots of stuff fell off that list when I really looked at them - things I ate out of habit but really didnt care one way or the other about - they were easily eliminated for sure, then I had to learn to make some tough choices about my options - such as is bread the best value for my buck? I decided not really, as it is doesnt bring me joy like say, a glass of wine does, and most of it is commercial, crap stuff anyway (not of good quality I mean), so my standards changed too.

Exactly! Save those calories for the good stuff....
    Chips Ahoy cookies out of a package...nah. Not worth it.
    Homemade or bakery cookies...yes! Worth it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    nothing for me, i just eat a lot less of some things

This^

Sure, I gravitate more towards some things now. But everything is still available.....just not in the same old quantity.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Crisps and snacks I know I can't have in moderation and I try to find alternatives to potato like swede & carrot mash or oven cooked butternut squash wedges, everything else I portion control and pad out with salad or steamed veggies. I also try to swap out some high cal meats with vegan and vegetarian alternatives like quorn mince or linda mccartney sausages. :)
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I can't say there's a food or foods I avoid. If there are, it would change day to day. I avoid things that aren't worth it. What's the taste to calorie ratio? How's the nutrients? Where am I on my macros? Is it good enough that I don't care where I am on my macros?

But the definition of "worth it" changes too. Put wings, beer and pizza in front of me on a Tuesday night, and I'll think "Not worth it". Put the same thing in front of me on a sunday afternoon with the guys over watching football, and I'll think "totally worth it"