How is this possible??? Need opinions!!

Options
I'm so confused. I've managed to gain 1.6 lbs this week. I've been carefully tracking my food intake, weighing and measuring mist of what I eat. I've even been under my calorie goal. How can I be gaining weight if what I'm consuming is supposedly less than what I would need to maintain my weight? This has been something that I've been struggling with for years and it is so demoralizing.

Most days I'm so busy that I end up just eating dinner for the most part, but even so, I'm careful to not go over. I'm a mother of 5, so getting time to go work out is really difficult.

Thoughts?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Water weight
  • alid8333
    alid8333 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I would say it's water weight as well. I typically fluctuate a couple pounds sometimes.
  • lucid_wings
    lucid_wings Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It's not my totm, I'm drinking 80+ ounces of water a day. Most days I'm under sodium limits. I did have 2 meals this week that were on the salty side though. Could that have derailed it?
  • RosyTea
    RosyTea Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Going thorough your diary, I see a lot of cup and spoons used for solid foods. Weigh everything that isn't a liquid.

Make sure you don't eat under 1200 calories. I see a few 800 calorie days.

Also, excess sodium and hormonal changes play a huge part in water weight.

@cerise_noir I agree.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. If you're not weighing everything, you can't really be 100% sure that you're staying at or under your daily calorie goal.

Also, remember that our weight is in a constant state of flux. It's not uncommon to see 1-3lb fluctuations (or more) on any given day.

But yeah, first things first: tighten up your logging and see if that makes a difference in the next 3-4 weeks.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,237 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. There are a bunch of factors at play in terms of weight changes than have nothing to do with whether you are losing fat or not.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Also, before you get really discouraged - take your body measurements so you have additional data. We all can wind up being discouraged by the scale at some point... Hang in there!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. There are a bunch of factors at play in terms of weight changes than have nothing to do with whether you are losing fat or not.

^ This. Look at long term trends rather than short term fluctuations.
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Maybe this is why people say slow and steady , this is a life style change , we gotta keep eating the correct calories no matter what the scale says

good luck
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    A digital food scale is a must
  • lucid_wings
    Options
    I do have a food scale and weigh most things. I've run into the problem of not being able to find the correct unit when logging sometimes. I'll see if there are more things that I can weigh. It's usually just things like teaspoons and tablespoons that I'm measuring, or liquids. Can not weighing things like lettuce cause issues?
  • lucid_wings
    Options
    I should also add that the recipes I create, the ingredients are weighed. I'll try and be even more careful, it's just upsetting when you feel like you are and then it seems like nothing happens. Thanks everyone
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    It's not my totm, I'm drinking 80+ ounces of water a day. Most days I'm under sodium limits. I did have 2 meals this week that were on the salty side though. Could that have derailed it?

If you're around two weeks before your period, you could be ovulating - many women retain water at this time as well. Weighing every day and charting this in Excel taught me that I gain water weight at ovulation as well as premenstrually.

When I eat foods like Chinese Pu Pu platters I can count on a water weight gain that takes almost a week to come off.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Food, water, waste in your body at any given time will make your weight fluctuate.

IF you are logging accurately and staying in a deficit, your weight will go down. Just not as fast as you want and not in a straight line down. :(

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I do have a food scale and weigh most things. I've run into the problem of not being able to find the correct unit when logging sometimes. I'll see if there are more things that I can weigh. It's usually just things like teaspoons and tablespoons that I'm measuring, or liquids. Can not weighing things like lettuce cause issues?

Volumetric measurements for anything other than liquids is an inaccurate way of logging your food. Even if the nutritional label on your food lists a serving in tsp or tbsp, you should still be weighing it. I can say with a good degree of confidence that the calories for the tablespoon of walnuts on your log from a couple of days ago is wrong.

And yes, not weighing things like lettuce can cause issues. It's not that lettuce is calorie dense and being off by a couple of grams will put you over on calories for the day. It's that the mentality of, "Well, I can weigh some things and not others," means you're likely taking other short cuts as well, and those short cuts can add up to a significant calorie hit. Logging is about accuracy and consistency so it's kind of an all or nothing thing, especially when you're first starting out.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Yesterday you had 3.5 slices of pizza. That's a massive amount of sodium especially compared to the rest of the week. I'm surprised your weight isn't up by 3-5 pounds.