Do you try to eat at least 1200 calories daily?

Options
I want to know if everyone who calorie counts, do they try to eat a 1200 minimum. I know that they are many days, like today that i just can't eat 1200 calories, even after a long day at the gym. I'm a male, 250 lbs 19 and i've only had 600 calories for the day. I'm a little hungry but not too much. (Only had subway for the day) Do you try to eat the minimum? they say if you dont eat at least 1200 your body will go into starvation mode.

I'm debating on cooking a meal that can = up to 1200 or just eating a snack and being under for the day.

Let me know your suggestions.

Also i try to eat 1 full meal a day, 1 small meal (usually lunch) and 1 snack for the day... the snack i had today was a sugar free jello pack that has only 10 calories. then i had a 6 inch sub from subway (400 calories, 18 grams of fat) and a small bag of baked lays chips. and of course plenty of water, ive also burned about 900 in the gym today.

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I want to know if everyone who calorie counts, do they try to eat a 1200 minimum. I know that they are many days, like today that i just can't eat 1200 calories, even after a long day at the gym. I'm a male, 250 lbs 19 and i've only had 600 calories for the day. I'm a little hungry but not too much. (Only had subway for the day) Do you try to eat the minimum? they say if you dont eat at least 1200 your body will go into starvation mode.

I'm debating on cooking a meal that can = up to 1200 or just eating a snack and being under for the day.

Also i try to eat 1 full meal a day, 1 small meal (usually lunch) and 1 snack for the day... the snack i had today was a sugar free jello pack that has only 10 calories. then i had a 6 inch sub from subway (400 calories, 18 grams of fat) and a small bag of baked lays chips. and of course plenty of water, ive also burned about 900 in the gym today.

My suggestion would be that you need to eat more. Netting 600 calories a day is NOT healthy. Period. Especially for a 19 year old 250lb male.

PLEASE EAT MORE.
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    north koreans eat more than you bro

You are setting yourself up for failure listen to adini
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I'm female, 25, 150. I try to take in 1800 a day, to lose weight. By all accounts you should eat more than me. (Male, younger, bigger)

Maybe you should eat a bit more. Food is not your enemy.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    peanut butter will be your friend. Go eat a jar of it
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    adini is kind, she is smart, and she is beautiful

LISTEN TO HER!!!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    IF this is legit (I'll admit I'm having a hard time telling) you need to eat a crap load more. I'm 5'10" 190lbs and I eat more calories AFTER dinner than that.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you're a nineteen year old dude. go eat 2,200 calories, lift weights, and run. and watch the magic.
  • LarryDUk
    LarryDUk Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    come on dude, you know this makes no sense. I ate more than that for dinner and I weigh 70 pounds less than you.
  • Moonstar0613
    Moonstar0613 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i agree - 600 is way too low. My nutritionist actually said we slow things down because we don't eat enough. Not to get too graphic - but if we only eat a little - slow passage and the stomach/intestines tries to absorb every fat , calorie it can. By eating more your system speeds up the process. Also weight training will help speed up your metabolic rate.
    You should be eating 1500 a day - especially if you're at the gym a lot !
    The heat lately has slowed down everyones appetite. Hang in there. !
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I am 6 ft. 1 in. and 248 lbs. and eat 1300 calories for Breakfast daily..... I am currently in Maintenance mode and eating at 4000 calories a day and have no problem hitting that mark... You are seriously heading down a road that is going to put your health in jeopardy... You need to plan your meals better and get in more calorie dense foods. I can walk out to the kitchen right now and get a TBSP of peanut butter and a glass of chocolate milk and consume 500 calories with just that... a cup of cashews over 300 calories, etc...... burning that many calories and eating well below your caloric intake is going to catch up with you at some point.... Best of Luck
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I'll put it this way. I'm twice your age, and half your size, and I wouldn't dream of eating that little. Continue on that path, and it will lead to metabolic damage. Eat more.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    You want to be skinny fat? Muscle is sexy, skin on bones isn't. Eat!

Try trail mix, nuts, avocado, whole eggs(not just the whites), cook with healthy oils like olive or coconut and add it to salads or use full fat dressings, eat full fat dairy foods, do NOT eat any sugar free/fat free "diet" foods, eat more bread or a bit of extra rice/pasta, put butter on your veggies, eat coconut and ice cream/chocolate milk even. It's not hard to do.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Child, you are starving yourself. Eat.
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Options

My suggestion would be that you need to eat more. Netting 600 calories a day is NOT healthy. Period. Especially for a 19 year old 250lb male.

PLEASE EAT MORE.

I'm not sure how it's possible to be a 19 yo male weighing 250 living on under 1200 cals...
    Are you sure you're not eating hidden calories? You're counting snacks, snibbles and drinks?

or is this just one of those not hungry days?
    I have those and don't force myself to eat. I make up for it another day when I have a hankering for something crazy.
  • momofthreesons
    momofthreesons Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Go ahead set yourself up for failure or read the help boards and learn what your body needs. Honestly Ive never ate below 1250. When you work out and dont eat your body just stops. period. Feed to fuel and feed to burn. You didnt get to being overweight by eating 1200, you wont lose eating less than 1200 for long. Learn the right way, read, read, read. MFP is a wonderful tool but it can be abused just like anything else. You get back what you put in. See what your maintenance calories are, calculate your BMR and dont ever, EVER, go below it well for long anyway. I wish you the best of luck.. but the oldies here know it isnt luck, its work. I wish you the best on your weightloss HEALTHY journey!! :-)
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I just want to give you a big hug. You're breaking my heart here. :brokenheart:

I know you want the weight off, like, last year. I totally get that. But what you're doing is not sustainable and will can lead to serious consequences for your health. Yes, you may be losing weight really quickly. I get that. I want that too. But after doing that for years and the only constant there was getting heavier after each cycle of loss (which brought me to 260 lbs @ 5'4") I decided I needed to do something different.

If this is just a day where you're not hungry, that's alright. Even I get those days....well I can't remember one recently but I'm sure I have. Exercise is great for giving me the dopamine / endorphin rush that I love about food (food is my drug of choice that's how I got fat) so occasionally if I work out early in the morning I'll have less of an appetite. But if you're depriving yourself of the fuel your body needs (see BMR) on a regular basis there are consequences - screwing up your meabolism due to lack of lean body mass is not fun or attractive (see skinny fat) and is how I used to gain weight while eating 1700 calories a day.

Other posts have encouraged weight lifting and running on a SMALL calorie deficit. I like that.

Remember, it's not a race.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    You should be eating somewhere in the ballpark of 2200 cals/day. Likely higher than that. You're a 19 yr old man. Start eating like one.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'm a 45 year old woman, and I try to eat around 1800 calories a day. What am I saying - there is no TRY - I easily eat 1800+ calories a day, and am losing weight and more importantly, FAT while eating this much.

Chow down, man, you're not eating nearly enough. Food is fuel, your body needs it, and will function well if you feed it properly. Energy for daily life, workouts, not to mention just keeping your organs functioning. Eat too little for too long and you're giving your body a reason to store fat, not burn it.

Add more calorie dense foods to your day - nuts, nut butters, avocados, cheese, full fat dairy - no "diet" anything - use olive and coconut oils in cooking and dressings....these foods pack good calories into small portions, so you don't have to eat a lot of them to add some good cals to your day.
  • RunningForeverMama
    RunningForeverMama Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Do I try? No, I don't need to try. I find it very hard to eat less than 1400-1500 a day. If I had only eaten 600 calories by nighttime I'd be ready to chew on my shoes.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I struggle to stay under 1600 calories a day. I would love your problem for a day or two!